mtbr member

Bigtop - hole in rear triangle

Curious if anyone else has had a similar issue with the rear triangle?
    Bigtop - hole in rear triangle-carbon-hole.jpg
    Jeff

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Nope. But judging by the removal of the lettering and the surrounding collateral damage, it looks like the tire has been rubbing the frame for a long time. How large of a tire are you using? Brand and model?

For reference I run a 2.25 RaRa, TL, on a Stan's Arch and have had no issues outside minor rub due to a tweaked wheel and some abrasion and chipping there due to junk flying off the tire, but it was easily protected with some 3M car wrap.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    I have been running 2.2 Ardents on Stans Arch rims for quite a while now and have a good 1/2" clearance.

Jeff

reading comprehension wat
    Some duck tape should fix it. Quack quack! JK JK!

I believe that once carbon fibers are broken, that entire strand becomes dead weight. I'm no carbon expert, but I believe that carbon's strength is in its tensile strength, so it's typically aligned so loads attempt to pull/stretch the fibers. If there's a break or a wrinkle, the surrounding carbon fiber and underlying plies are left to handle the load. In other words, are you experiencing flex, err, I mean "compliance" in areas you're not used to? Ghost shifting under high torque or lateral loads?

If my understanding of carbon is correct, and my assumption is correct that Yeti used long lengths of carbon, laying it up from dropout, wrapping around to the other dropout, then you'd have a swath of carbon, about as tall as that hole, that is about as useful as a piece of duct tape, in terms of stiffness and strength, binding the carbon above and below it to maintain structural integrity.

Do you get a lot of dead brush and other trail debris jammed in that area or something?
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    How is the rear triangle joined to the front? Bolted? Bonded? Is it easily replaceable or replaceable at all? I've just been wondering since this is a frame I'm considering.

mtbr member
    Have you heard back from Yeti? If you are looking for repair if replacement is not possible, you can check out Calfee, they were going to do a fork for me, yet the Aluminum Drop-out was bent and as such would have been too much hassle to repair. Appleman also does repairs, and I think you may be able to look around here on MTBR as the topic has been covered over with the roadies.

Home | Calfee Design

Carbon Fiber Frame Repair | Appleman Bicycles

mtbr member
    Finally got in touch with Yeti and had my LBS ship the frame back. Got word from Matt at Yeti that it is covered and a new frame is on the way.

Obviously, I could not be happier with Yeti's customer service...thanks guys.

Jeff

mtbr member
    OK...all better now