Bikes!

Big Top no more?

So the rumours were true and judging by the Yeti site that's just been updated there is no longer a BigTop in production.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    And no ASR 5. Not a surprise - the SB75 basically replaces it. Sad to see though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    And no ASR 5. Not a surprise - the SB75 basically replaces it. Sad to see though.
    I suppose the new ARC-C replaces the Big Top which makes sense, but to say the SB75 replaces the ASR5 I disagree with. Completely different style riding bikes and major weight difference(especially in a carbon version). I hate to see that they've done away with the ASR5 and ASR. I currently ride an ASR-C with a 120 fork on it. It's an absolutely amazing XC race rig. I was really hoping to see them come out with a 29er version of the ASR-C that was rumored over a year ago, which I think would be the best of both worlds for endurance XC racing(50-100milers and 6+ hr racing).

Seems from their current lineup they're definitely steering more towards free-ride and Enduro racing style bikes with the ARC-C as the only exception to that. And I guess from a business model perspective that makes sense as a majority of mtn bikers fall in that category of riding that style bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Big Top no more?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyinatlanta View Post
    I suppose the new ARC-C replaces the Big Top which makes sense, but to say the SB75 replaces the ASR5 I disagree with. Completely different style riding bikes and major weight difference(especially in a carbon version). I hate to see that they've done away with the ASR5 and ASR. I currently ride an ASR-C with a 120 fork on it. It's an absolutely amazing XC race rig. I was really hoping to see them come out with a 29er version of the ASR-C that was rumored over a year ago, which I think would be the best of both worlds for endurance XC racing(50-100milers and 6+ hr racing).

Seems from their current lineup they're definitely steering more towards free-ride and Enduro racing style bikes with the ARC-C as the only exception to that. And I guess from a business model perspective that makes sense as a majority of mtn bikers fall in that category of riding that style bike.
    Would like to see a carbon 29er FS XC Race bike. The ARC-C is gorgeous but I wouldn't want to race a HT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I don't know that I'd call the Arc-C a replacement for the Big top.I bought the Big Top over the Arc because the top tube is a half-inch shorter in the same size. For those of us with shorter torsos or who prefer a less race-oriented geometry the Big top is the winner. Sad to see it go, and I might have to keep my eyes peeled for a cloesout for singlespeed duty.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Schipperkes are cool.
    9/24/13: "Please note that the 575, the ASR-C and the ASR-5C are no longer available."

And the Big Top is not on the 2014 dealer list.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.