mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Big Top frame issues?

I purchased a 2012 BigTop from my local LBS three weeks ago. I plan to race in the Leadville 100 with it this year. I have taken one spill on it at Mustang Trail on White Ranch in Golden. I fell on the derailer side. Anyhow, I cleaned the bike the other day and noticed a large crease in the frame about 5 inches off the head tube on the bottom bar. I have no idea how it happened. The bike has never been dropped on that side. I have maybe 15 rides on it.

I bought the big top because I was expecting a durable workhorse to compliment my 575. Has anyone experienced frame issues?? My LBS didn't seem too concerned. I hate to have a huge dent in the frame 3 weeks after dropping $3,200 on this bike.

I'll upload pics tomorrow.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    I ride the piss out of mine, was just at Buff Creek last night for a T.I.T.S. ride (see CO Front Range forum ). I have crashed it with no damage to date...lucky I guess. However, this is an XC bike. So, my expectations of durability are for that type of riding...which can turn into some aggressive stuff too. Not to belittle you situation, but damage to Al is part of riding...sux and sorry that your BT is dinged. I'd be pissed if it was mine too. However, I don't think it is a manufacturing issue. Remember, you bought an XC 29er hardtail.
    Last edited by snigs; 04-06-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: better spelling
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good point... I guess I am just bummed my new bike already have a nice big dent in it. I guess it was bound to happen, just sucks it happened so quickly. I would have expected the fame to be a little stronger.

I uploaded to pictures that I took last night with my iphone, the pictures don't really do it any justice, I realized shooting a gloss frame at night in my garage makes the dent hard to see!

I do love this bike. This is my first 29er and I have been riding it 4 / 5 times a week. My 575 hasn't been out of the garage in weeks. I bought the bike at the Single Track Factory, they have been great to work with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Top frame issues?-photo-12-.jpg  

Big Top frame issues?-photo.jpg  

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    That kind of smack happened from some kind of hit - or crush - incident. Whether you were or were not involved I can't say.

I'd not worry about it unless the crease/ding *changes* over time. Just keep an eye on it.

I've had *much* worse in my bikes and never had a problem.