Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Big Top Frame Crack

The crack started towards the tire (left side) and over the course of a 30 mile ride expanded up towards the seat tube (right side). The crack broke the gel coat up in a few spots and in others it is visible underneath. The frame will arrive at Yeti HQ in a few days for further inspection. More info on the warranty process/experience to follow. The frame is a 2011 XL, a little over 90 days old.

Big Top Crack | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That sucks. Hopefully a one off issue as I love the ride of the frame but hate headaches. I am sure they will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought the bike from HucknRoll.com but brought it to the closest Yeti dealer to handle the warranty. The deal is, I have to pay that shop to disassemble, ship to Yeti, and reassemble the new frame. I was quoted $200 for those services plus another $150 for a new inset headset. The 12' models have a different headset than the 11'. For the heck of it I called HucknRoll.com and told them about these costs that I am incurring on a bike that was purchased a few months ago. They offered me $200 and a Chris King headset at cost to help out. I didn't really feel like it was their place to help me out like that. Customer service at HucknRoll.com is no joke. I would buy in confidence from those guys.

Bikes are good

Dang

This bike is on my wish list for next spring. How big a dude are you? I'm 6'2'' and weigh 220, and plan to ride the heck out of it. Can it hack it?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    This bike is on my wish list for next spring. How big a dude are you? I'm 6'2'' and weigh 220, and plan to ride the heck out of it. Can it hack it?
    First off I have to say, there is always the chance that my frame is not cracked and it's just some strange phenomena going on with the gel coat. That is for Yeti to determine. I will say that the "crack" doubled in size over the course of a ride. My wallet and riding are suffering either way...Durability was a question I asked before I pulled trigger on this bike. I could not find any substantial "Frame cracking" claims on the internet so I went with it. Rough guess here, I probably got no more than 50 rides on the bike. August and September poured rain here in Philly so I did not get to use it much. I am 6'6" 240, so I tax the bike more than the average joe. The XL is in my size range, I could only hope Yeti is not satisfied by stress testing the bike for a man that is 6'6" 190 pounds. We all know real men start at 100 Kilo. Upon everything going as planned I have been told I will receive the new frame sometime in December. I will try to get 50 rides on it and let you know how it holds up. Check in with me before you do.

Bikes are good

Sure thing

Yeah, you are a big dude. But, if they build a bike that big, they ought to be built to sustain a big dude. That isn't that many rides. I think any frame anomaly's are to be considered a fracture of some sort. I worried about the carbon fiber/aluminum joints on a bike like this. I hope to buy one to add to the stable. I like F/S type, big mountain riding, but there is a lot of stuff in AK to ride that a 29'r would be awesome on. I almost bought this bike last spring, but had to replace my old FS bike instead. I'll check back, or PM me if you remember, recommend or don't recommend this bike. There are a ton of 29'r frames out there that are solid. Yeti seemed pretty cool is all.

thanks.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The dealer still has not shipped my frame to Yeti...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got word that the Big Top frame has a 250 pound maximum weight limit. Wish I knew that before I bought the bike...

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about the bike but I agree Huck N Roll has been pretty awesome so far.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This is why I love supporting the Backcountry family and all their other sites. They understand the importance of Customer Service and going out of their way to help out. Good for Huck N Roll.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Still no word, nothing, not a thing. I dropped the frame off at the Yeti dealer on Nov. 16. Hopefully they sent it out...It's tough to check on them as they are over an hour away. At this point, I really hope the frame is cracked. If it wasn't it would kill me knowing that I could have been riding it for the past 33 days. This experience taught me a good lesson...

mtbr member
    You're 240, which is more like 250 because the internet always subtracts ten pounds, and you're suprised a frame with a carbon rear triangle cracked......I love mtbr.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelgunz View Post
    You're 240, which is more like 250 because the internet always subtracts ten pounds, and you're suprised a frame with a carbon rear triangle cracked......I love mtbr.....
    No, I am 240 unloaded. I see no issue with discussing this on the forum so everyone can be informed. We don't know if it's broken yet because there has been no word from Yeti probably because the dealer didn't get the frame to them yet. As for carbon holding big boy tonnage, there are several full carbon bikes available that are rated to hold 300+ pound riders. I spoke to Yeti in further detail about their "weight limit." To clarify, it's not a limit but a max test load they put it under. They said I will be fine on the bike and if there is an issue it would be handled under warranty. They have never turned down anyone due to weight...I too love MTBR...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yeti is a pretty good company, I am sure they will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    max test load? if you weigh 250 and go off a curb landing on the seat, the resulting load is going to be more than 250 lbs. That seems really low, especially for a hardtail that isn't on the light side. does niner or other lighter weight hardtails have that type of weight limit? sucks to miss out on riding
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFCuddy View Post
    I bought the bike from .com but brought it to the closest Yeti dealer to handle the warranty. The deal is, I have to pay that shop to disassemble, ship to Yeti, and reassemble the new frame. I was quoted $200 for those services...
    Sorry, what? $200 to strip a frame?!!!! I'm in the wrong job! Thats awesome of Huck N Roll to look after you like that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knockbox View Post
    Sorry, what? $200 to strip a frame?!!!! I'm in the wrong job! Thats awesome of to look after you like that!
    I guess that's how you're supposed to be treated if you don't buy from the local shop??? Just talked to Yeti, they have not received my frame and it's going on five weeks. They also said they have XL Big Tops in stock so if the dealer didn't blow me off for weeks on end I could have been rolling already. I can only imagine how long it's going to take them to press a new headset and screw a bottom bracket on...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sounds like your LBS is really trying hard to win your business back, huh? Pretty short-sighted.
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Man, good luck with that! Hope you're back up and rolling soon!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    sounds like your LBS is really trying hard to win your business back, huh? Pretty short-sighted.
    I was talking with the sales guy about an SB95 when I first went into the shop. I am not going to be talking about one anymore, not with those guys. I am surprised Philadelphia does not have a Yeti dealer in town. There is 30 miles of awesome singletrack right in the city and bikes shops at every corner. No Yeti though...I have never seen another Yeti riding around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I heard back from Yeti, my frame is cracked. Here is what was said:

"That is cracked for sure, we havenít seen many but we have seen this failure before. The issue is that sometime in the molding process the inner bladder lost pressure, causing improper compaction of the carbon in that area. Like I said we havenít seen much of this and weíve solved the problem by monitoring pressure through the entire molding process so it shouldnít be an issue youíll have again. Iíll ship your replacement out today. Thanks for all your patience throughout this process, Iím sorry itís been such a pain for you."

I am trying to see if they will help me out on a new headset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeti will be supplying me with a headset on the new frame. Between HucknRoll helping me out and Yeti throwing in a headset things are looking pretty good. The only downside is that I haven't had my bike for six weeks.

mtbr member
    I'm honestly surprised they require warranty issues go through a local dealer. I mean, if that is the case, why have internet dealers?

I love my Yeti. I don't regret the purchase at all, but I hope to heck I never have a warranty claim, as my closest dealer is about two hours (one way) from me. Which is why I bought it online in the first place. I guess I just don't understand why I can't ship them the frame and provide proof of purchase. It doesn't make it any less broken that way does it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Goannaman View Post
    I'm honestly surprised they require warranty issues go through a local dealer. I mean, if that is the case, why have internet dealers?

I love my Yeti. I don't regret the purchase at all, but I hope to heck I never have a warranty claim, as my closest dealer is about two hours (one way) from me. Which is why I bought it online in the first place. I guess I just don't understand why I can't ship them the frame and provide proof of purchase. It doesn't make it any less broken that way does it?
    That's a good question for Yeti to answer. I am guessing it has to do with the quality of the build that Yeti expects from its dealers. I feel like it's a pain because you can get treated like a second rate customer when you go in for warranty to a shop you didn't buy the bike from. I feel like I was put at the bottom of the priority list. At this point I am still waiting for the shop to receive and build my bike.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Having the bike built by a Yeti dealer is technically required for the warranty to be valid. My guess is they don't want the entire bike back, just the frame, so someone has to disassemble/assemble it.

My experience was totally different. Broke my 07 575 (that I bought on closeout from an online dealer) and took it to the local Yeti dealer. In two hours I had 3 options for a solution (ranging from free to a new 2012 frame under crash replacement). In one week, I picked up my bike totally rebuilt. Yeti and University Cyclery totally rock!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast