mtbr member

Better Step up Yeti...

Santa Cruz Bicycles COMPANY

That's a link to SC's new, 5 year, grandfathered warranty support.

Don't rest on your laurels. Show SC and the Tribe you've got the better support, and warranty.
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thats pretty awesome, I dont like the price of the latest greatest bikes but I believe it is justified, if you truly looked in to everything that went in to creating it. I think this will help make that amazingly fun but expensive toy a tad easier to justify.

I would guess most will step up in the next year or two with similar programs.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    My ASR-7 came with a 5 year warranty as well, that is still in effect.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Hey guys-

Thanks for the feedback.

The trick with warranty stuff is that if it's a true manufacturing defect - that is, we f'ed up when we built the frame - it should be very apparent in the first 6 months of riding it, based on the way our typical customer rides (fast, hard, aggressive). We understand that a lot of you can't get out and ride as much as you'd like, so we extend that warranty to a couple of years for those 'just in case' situations. We also offer a lifetime crash replacement policy for incidents that occur that we have no control over and can't plan or design for (without making a bike that rides like a tank) - crashes into trees, weird slow-speed falls where your entire weight is leveraged into your chain stay and then into a rock, etc.

It's a difficult situation. We have so much respect for our customers, and we want to bend over backwards as far as possible to help them out by accepting responsibility for our own mistakes. Unfortunately, it's not always a two-way street. Example: a friend of mine snapped the chainstay on his Intense in Whistler last summer when he came up short on a back-flip attempt (!) on A-Line. Later that night over beers, he asked me, "Hey JP, would Yeti warranty something like this?" I told him that if he were honest with us concerning the circumstances of it breaking, we probably wouldn't (he was clearly in the wrong for attempting - and failing - something so insane in the first place), but we'd bust our asses to get him a replacement as cheap and as fast as possible. He seemed pretty miffed by my reply, and said he was going to try to warranty it with Intense anyway. That really bummed me out.

All of that being said, we're constantly reevaluating our business, and we appreciate feedback like this.

Thanks again,

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    John- thanks for the well thought out reply. I know (from personal experience) you guys bend over backward to make sure your riders get taken care of. Weld at the seat tube/bottom bracket juncture failed on my 08 575 less than 6 months from when the warranty would expire. Within 2 hours of taking it to the fine folks at University Cycles here in ATX, I had 3 (!) options for a fix, ranging from free to a complete new frame under crash replacement. Can't ask for more than that.

IMHO, the 2 year warranty balances protecting the rider from defects in manufacturing, and Yeti's needs as an on going business. I want you guys to be around for years to come (I was riding Yeti's during the dark Schwinn days...), and I am thinking extending the warranty either puts that at risk, or would force a punitive price hike to cover the extra exposure.

Just my 2 cents.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think what a lot of people desire is a no questions asked replacement policy. A Yeti bike is a large investment and I feel like most people want to feel like they are protected, regardless of cause. Has Yeti considered this as an option? This would certainly increase the cost per bike. Any idea what this cost would be? 5%? 10%? 25%? You guys should have all the statistical data for this type of thinking on hand.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    I would not mind that as an option, kind of like Mavic offers on their wheel sets. One time charge, only available at time of purchase, to basically buy insurance for anything that might happen. Would be a PITA to manage on the backend, though.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Had 5 years warranty on my 2006 575 and a BB weld broke (found it when cleaned the bike but it was creeking), Sure Yeti replaced my frame. Now I ride an awsom SB66 which has similar potential of failing welds. Yes, Yeti has replaced my Switch to the new design but I am not sure why warranty went down to 2 yrs???

mtbr member
    Well thought-out/reasoned answer from John. I appreciate that, and the fact that a manufacturing defect should be apparent pretty quickly.

OTOH, my turner broke 1 year, 10 months into it's warranty, and it definitely was a manufacturing defect - once the weld broke it was clear as day that weld had poor penetration.

a 5-year warranty wouldn't sway me to buy one bike over another, honestly (it kind of reminds me of Hyundai cars, that were such junk the only way they could sell them was with a super-long warranty). And I don't think I'd pay a premium for a "no-fault" warranty.
    To me, a reasonable crash replacement policy and price is better than a long warranty since crash damage can happen any time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    @blackhillsrider...if there was a "no questions asked" warranty, people would just smash their bike intentionally after 2 years to get a new one. Unfortunately, you're thinking fairly, but there are a ton of people out there who would game the system.

Personally, it pisses me off when I read about people coming on the forums to try and force the bike OEM to give them free stuff under questionable circumstances. It just drives the cost up for the rest of us who treat our gear carefully.
    whatever...

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    sadly I agree with steadite.

and I think it's much more practical the line of thinking that John P related.

and it leaves the OEM in the position that they can CHOOSE to be liberal, if they can and conditions warrant, it just doesn't REQUIRE them to (to their own ruination).

I too know people who will only buy stuff with lifetime warranty's because they are going to abuse stuff, and they don't buy the right stuff for the intended use (getting a trail bike for FR/DH duty because they want a lighter machine or a 300# rider demanding a 25# trail bike that is going to be used for drops and jumps regularly).

The up-charge for a more liberal warranty coverage isn't a bad idea, but I don't know how practical it is because people will still game the system, as it was pointed out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    @blackhillsrider...if there was a "no questions asked" warranty, people would just smash their bike intentionally after 2 years to get a new one. Unfortunately, you're thinking fairly, but there are a ton of people out there who would game the system.

Personally, it pisses me off when I read about people coming on the forums to try and force the bike OEM to give them free stuff under questionable circumstances. It just drives the cost up for the rest of us who treat our gear carefully.
    +1,

I think knowing how hard I had to work to be able to buy the bike I wanted makes me appreciate it more, and then again I am not going to go out and try to beat is to death!

The warranty is a great peace of mind for me, in that I know my hard earned dollar is backed up by Yeti.

As stated before when people just go out and abuse their "rigs" and expect the manufacturers to just "Take it and Fix it for FREE - with no question" is an odd mindset that I do not understand. Then again, I am sure they don't know the value of what bike they have or not - if they did not work / save or even purchase it themselves.

All you can do is be honest with the manufacturer, and let them interpret the issue, even if they give you a huge discount, that is awesome in itself.

If not -> Man Up! and don't be some spineless "Entitled" Whiner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Hey guys-

Thanks for the feedback.

The trick with warranty stuff is that if it's a true manufacturing defect - that is, we f'ed up when we built the frame - it should be very apparent in the first 6 months of riding it, based on the way our typical customer rides (fast, hard, aggressive). We understand that a lot of you can't get out and ride as much as you'd like, so we extend that warranty to a couple of years for those 'just in case' situations. We also offer a lifetime crash replacement policy for incidents that occur that we have no control over and can't plan or design for (without making a bike that rides like a tank) - crashes into trees, weird slow-speed falls where your entire weight is leveraged into your chain stay and then into a rock, etc.

It's a difficult situation. We have so much respect for our customers, and we want to bend over backwards as far as possible to help them out by accepting responsibility for our own mistakes. Unfortunately, it's not always a two-way street. Example: a friend of mine snapped the chainstay on his Intense in Whistler last summer when he came up short on a back-flip attempt (!) on A-Line. Later that night over beers, he asked me, "Hey JP, would Yeti warranty something like this?" I told him that if he were honest with us concerning the circumstances of it breaking, we probably wouldn't (he was clearly in the wrong for attempting - and failing - something so insane in the first place), but we'd bust our asses to get him a replacement as cheap and as fast as possible. He seemed pretty miffed by my reply, and said he was going to try to warranty it with Intense anyway. That really bummed me out.

All of that being said, we're constantly reevaluating our business, and we appreciate feedback like this.

Thanks again,

JP
    Thanks for the well thought out response. Although I would love the piece of mind that would come with knowing my bike would be warrantied regardless of fault or time of purchase, it is very understandable that this isn't realistic for a smaller company such as yeti. Out of curiosity, what is the approx price for the crash replacement parts (frame, rear triangle etc.)?

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ejhorn View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the approx price for the crash replacement parts (frame, rear triangle etc.)?
    Typically $400 for each half (front or rear triangle). I had the option of new RT that fit my '08 front triangle for free, 2010 frame for $400, or a 2012 frame for $800 (IIRC). I chose the 2010 frame option as all my existing components would swap, and they had it in stock, Would have had to wait 3 months for a 2012, and bought a new fork. Sold the bike about 6 months later for my SB-95.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Does Yeti offer Trail Side assistance?

I got a flat today and didn't' feel like fixing it. Just figured I would deal with it when I get my ne Stan's Wheels

All joking aside, I live my new Yeti

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    An argument for a 5 year warranty could easily be made. My first ASR-C had the integrated seatpost which failed just prior to the 2 years was up. The bike had never been jumped or crashed and Yeti stepped up and replaced it at n/c. Of course the LBS bent me over for labor and a new seatpost and clamp when the new triangle arrived. If the seatpost had failed a couple months later it would have been beyond the 2 years then I assume it would go down as a "crash replacement" which would have, in my opinion, unjustly cost me an additional $500 to replace. As a comparison last year I did crash the same bike and fractured the chain stay. I had no problem admitting fault and Yeti was quick to get me back on my bike. A different shop then the first time turned around a rear triangle replacement for $475 total in 8 days. I have been satisfied with the Yeti warranty thus far but wonder what might have been had I not ridden the original integrated seatpost enough to have it fail in the first two years.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by popopapa View Post
    An argument for a 5 year warranty could easily be made. My first ASR-C had the integrated seatpost which failed just prior to the 2 years was up. The bike had never been jumped or crashed and Yeti stepped up and replaced it at n/c. Of course the LBS bent me over for labor and a new seatpost and clamp when the new triangle arrived. If the seatpost had failed a couple months later it would have been beyond the 2 years then I assume it would go down as a "crash replacement" which would have, in my opinion, unjustly cost me an additional $500 to replace. As a comparison last year I did crash the same bike and fractured the chain stay. I had no problem admitting fault and Yeti was quick to get me back on my bike. A different shop then the first time turned around a rear triangle replacement for $475 total in 8 days. I have been satisfied with the Yeti warranty thus far but wonder what might have been had I not ridden the original integrated seatpost enough to have it fail in the first two years.
    If every consumer was honest like yourself, then a longer warranty would my less of a business risk for a smaller manufacturer. (Hell, in the early days, Yeti's were warranty "forever" against manufacturer defect.) Lots of folks out there, though, that will subject their rig to extreme use, break it doing something dumb (aka attempt a backflip) and then expect the manufacturer to replace it for free. The whole warranty length is a delicate balancing act by the manufacturer of cost/price/market acceptance/risk.
    Yeti SB-95a Black