mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Bars/Stems for SB-95

I have an SB-95, size Lg. with the race build. Me, I'm a hair under 6'2. I love the bike - it's awesome.

Anyway, I'm still trying to dial in the cockpit a bit. Something is just a little off. I'm running the Haven bars and 90mm, 10 degree rise Thompson stem.

I feel like I want just a little more reach but am worried about a sacrifice in performance. I probably am used to a little a little longer reach from my xc and roadie background.

So, what do you guys think? Wider bars? 100mm stem? Zero or 10 degrees rise? Or just stick it out and get used to the position.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Do you like the current steering feel and only want more reach? Maybe consider a post setback?

Name:  2917-337.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  2.6 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would look into wider bars, at 90mm your stem is already plenty long for this type of bike. You could also just flip your stem, it's free and might give you the added reach you are after.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Set back post will not give you a longer reach on the bike but will increase your effective top tube. That said, the position of the saddle should be to align your knee correctly above you spindle to prevent knee injury not to adjust your effective top tube length. If you feel you need more length while seated and climbing, stem is a healthier adjustment solution for your joints. That said, if you are going above 90mm on an SB-95, it will probably impact handling negatively and you might want to think about stepping up a size in frame.

Just an opinion as there are no absolute right answers with fit and stem length!

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I would look into wider bars, at 90mm your stem is already plenty long for this type of bike. You could also just flip your stem, it's free and might give you the added reach you are after.
    Exactly what I would've suggested. Flipping the stem so the bars are lower, right? I'm 5' 7" and I like 725-740mm wide bars.

The setback post slackens the seat angle, I would think, which can stretch ya out when in the saddle. Out of the saddle, not so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions you guys. The bike is perfect when I'm descending. I should've stated that I was looking for a little different position when climbing as their is a ton of it around here.

I just flipped the stem over and went for a test spin in front of the house and I think that's going to help a lot. I want to test it out on the trail once this fire/smoke eases up. My next step will be new bars if needed - my yeti riding buddy has been telling me to do that for a while.

I like my saddle position and knee alignment so I don't think I'll have to try a setback post.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Exactly what I would've suggested. Flipping the stem so the bars are lower, right? I'm 5' 7" and I like 725-740mm wide bars.

The setback post slackens the seat angle, I would think, which can stretch ya out when in the saddle. Out of the saddle, not so much.
    Exactly, 20 degrees difference of stem angle can make a huge difference in overall cockpit feel/reach.

Trail Ninja
    You have a dropper post too, right? I don't always climb at full seatpost extension on my dropper, sometimes liking it a little lower when I need to apply more body english, to maintain smooth pedal power outpost and keep the bike steady and easier to control. Lowering and raising the post on the fly definitely can offer some change that you might be able to use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just took my SB95 Race out for its first ride - felt great on the climbs, but just OK on the descent. I've demoed the Enduro (4 rides), and felt like a frickin' rock star on the downhills each and every time. Does anyone know the difference in cockpit setup between the Truvativ T20 stem/bars (Enduro) and the Thomson X4 stem/Easton Haven Carbon bars?

The Haven's might be a little wider then the Truvativ (and way wider then my old xc bars on my old 26" stumpy), and it also looked like there were 3 spacers under the stem. What's my best move? Play with flipping the stem or moving some spacers above the stem (should I have the shop trim the top tube if I get it dialed with some spacers out?)? I think I'll end up trimming the bars a little, but will hold off for a bunch of rides to be sure.

Any ideas? I know messing with the stem/carbon handlebars interface requires care - I'll see if I can borrow a torque wrench, or just take it into the shop. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityridesitall View Post
    Just took my SB95 Race out for its first ride - felt great on the climbs, but just OK on the descent. I've demoed the Enduro (4 rides), and felt like a frickin' rock star on the downhills each and every time. Does anyone know the difference in cockpit setup between the Truvativ T20 stem/bars (Enduro) and the Thomson X4 stem/Easton Haven Carbon bars?

The Haven's might be a little wider then the Truvativ (and way wider then my old xc bars on my old 26" stumpy), and it also looked like there were 3 spacers under the stem. What's my best move? Play with flipping the stem or moving some spacers above the stem (should I have the shop trim the top tube if I get it dialed with some spacers out?)? I think I'll end up trimming the bars a little, but will hold off for a bunch of rides to be sure.

Any ideas? I know messing with the stem/carbon handlebars interface requires care - I'll see if I can borrow a torque wrench, or just take it into the shop. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have the havens , and I kinda don't like the bend ,they are 711 which is alittle narrow for me but the Truvativ T20 bars have that nice Moto bar bend that Moto guys like ( 9X5 ) even tho the Truvativ is only 680 If I remember right ( I run extenders in all my bars so I can make them any length I want ) ...the stem difference from the X4 to the truvativ may be different also , I know Geek's bike has at least a 15 degree rise in it with the Thomson and If I remember right the trvativ was almost flat .

I have to get figuring mine out also when I get my other arm back.

Don't cut your steer tube , just swap spacers around for awhile until you know you have the bars and stem correct , Making a new steer tube and pressing it in is alittle bit of work ( ask me how I know )

You are more that likely feeling the stem and bar difference on the down hill prowess from one bike to the other so you are on the right track ,
    I have the trvative T20 bars with a 40mm rise waiting for me to get my arm back , I will extend these to 30" and try my 50MM Kore stem