Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baghdad Yeti

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Baghdad Yeti

I am out here in downtown Baghdad reading and keeping up with all the great rides you guys are having back home. My Yeti's are hanging in my garage dream about being riden just as i am dreaming about riding them. I am being kept informed by the gang out in Golden and how busy they are building the best bikes. I hear that some of the trails are still ridable for a little longer but the slopes are white and the blanks are coming out. I am out here at the US Embassy (the former Presidential Palace). I am trying to get a DJ out here to get at least some riding in. great chance to work on trials riding. I got to ride a Hajji bike the other day in back of the Embassy. I snapped the rear rim taking off some T-walls, baracades and steps. There is an Australian here with me who has a Trek Fuel sent out here to ride. Nothing like a Yeti. I have been plastering stickers all over this town. I enjoy reading everyones stories of their rides back in the states. keep them coming. Sign Sandbox Yeti
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool picture

Thanks for your work over there. I personally think the military is doing good and Iraq and if we stick to it it will turn out well.

Trails in Denver are are still ridable, about 55 today. Going skiing tomorrow at Winter Park. Should be pretty thin though. Keep plastering the Yeti stickers all over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What more can I say!!!

person
    Too many people today blame the military for the current events, well I definetly don't. I can't begin to thnk you enough for you hard work so people like me can go for a ride. I'll ride extra hard for you man ...even though I am jealous of your yeti collection
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

bob
    mtbr member
    Thank you for your sevice Haloranger. You walk a path not meant for the meek or lacking of fortitude. Watch your back and come home safe. Good to see the Tribe being represented in Iraq.

One of my favorites.......

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the
    strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them
    better. The credit belongs to he man who is actually in the arena; whose
    face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who
    errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms,
    the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the
    best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if
    he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall
    never be with those cold and timid souls who knew niether victory nor
    defeat."
    Theodore Roose

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the kind words. I heard Red Rocks and Mathew Winters had a good turn out the other day. I used to get a group of Tribe members toghether to ride weekly around different trails in the area. Before I left I got to ride Vail Pass, Shrine Pass and down to Minturn which is aa great ride. Winter Park has some really good rides both cross country and Dh. Their Dh routes were getting much needed upgrades before i left so not all were open. This is my fifth tour out here to the sandbox. I have seen much improvement in areas and not so much in other areas.
    Last edited by haloranger; 11-18-2006 at 10:15 PM.

Who is John Galt?
    Bet there is some good riding over there if there wasn't a war going on.I read a post on the Santa Cruz site from a soldier who got his ride shipped over. He said flats were constant due to all the shrapnel laying around. Be safe and come home in one piece, when you do I'd like to buy you a drink and hear all about it.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Here is a TCN hired to be a security guard at the Embassy supporting Yeti. Though he still thinks that Yeti is a Monster he could not grasp it as a bicycle co. Not just any bike company but THE bike company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

looks like security guard

Looks like the security guards from Park Meadows mall, except the automatic weapon. Went to WP on Sat, should have stayed and rode. I know the Yeti Tribe will kill me, but I should have my new Ibis Mojo next week. Then it will snow like hell, so you can thank me.

If it is still ski season when you get back I've got some comp tickets at WP for you, and some beer. You need any bike magazines? I travel a lot and buy them all at the airport, and usually toss them a month or two later. I'll ship on my nickel.

Are you doing those crazy Halo jumps?

Bomber
    ....you have the job I dreamed of as a kid (my dads best friend is a ranger), now I dream of engineering bikes, but I still give all my respect to you guys in uniform, keep on trucking and god bless!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah, the guard does look like the ones out at Park Meadows but this one speaks three languages and will shoot on the spot. Thanks for the offer on the mags but I am squared away already with subscriptions. Buddy of mine sent some biking DVDs also. That just makes me miss home evenmore. I find out in December as how long this tour for me will be. This is my fifth tour out here and the first time that there was no definite time line for me. I have open orders that are 6 to 18 months.
    21 years of this and I still enjoy what I do. I have been a HALO jumper since March '90. I got when we got back from our little excursion in Panama '89. Thanks for the support. Hope you guys have a great ski season. My goal is that i hope i am back in time for the Tribe gathering.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by haloranger
    Yeah, the guard does look like the ones out at Park Meadows but this one speaks three languages and will shoot on the spot. Thanks for the offer on the mags but I am squared away already with subscriptions. Buddy of mine sent some biking DVDs also. That just makes me miss home evenmore. I find out in December as how long this tour for me will be. This is my fifth tour out here and the first time that there was no definite time line for me. I have open orders that are 6 to 18 months.
    21 years of this and I still enjoy what I do. I have been a HALO jumper since March '90. I got when we got back from our little excursion in Panama '89. Thanks for the support. Hope you guys have a great ski season. My goal is that i hope i am back in time for the Tribe gathering.
    Hey, I'll chime in and say thank you as well for your efforts over there. The drive by media sucks and they paint the wrong image over here. Every single person I have talked to that is actually in Iraq has a different story to tell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

just checking

I know it is big world out there, and there are hundreds of Rangers, but do you know a guy named Scott Davis? Sounds like he was in same time as you. A little Panama time, a little Iraq time etc. Thought I would shoot in the dark.

You don't think the Park Meadows guys can shoot on the spot? Cmon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Davis is a common name. With one Ranger Regiment that cinsists of three Battalions and a HQ unit. Then you there are thousands of school trained Rangers. I did know and still know a Chris Davis but not a Scott. The guards at the PM mall i just have to laugh. every time i see one i think of what would they do if? You can usually tell by the way an individuals has his equipment worn and handles himself as to how they would react kinda funny. Almost as funny as that lousy movie called Marine. We got to see the other day on from Hajji copied DVD. Good only for a laugh. We had a room here at the Embassy set up for movies. We had Marines, Navy, Air Force and Army all just busting on this film.

I broke out some DVDs (Yeti, Collective and Roam DVD's) and had a night for bikers. we had a great turnout. there were a few Roadies mixed in there and even a few that want to get into Biking. The only thing we were missing was the beer. and that is off limits.

Who is John Galt?
    No beer? Sherman was right, war is hell.
    What, me hurry?

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    You put a Yeti sticker on a bronze sculpture?!

Not cool.

P.S. before you get your camies in a wad - I do support the fine men and women of the armed forces (like my brother), but to deface artwork I can't support that.
    It wasn't me

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    You put a Yeti sticker on a bronze sculpture?!

Not cool.

P.S. before you get your camies in a wad - I do support the fine men and women of the armed forces (like my brother), but to deface artwork I can't support that.
    Before you get your undies in a wad - If I'm not mistaken, that looks like the Yeti emblem cut and pasted to the picture, not the statue. I call that photo-chopping.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I hope so ivi.

Team America F*%# Yeah!
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sorry I have not gotten back on line sooner but things have been rather hictic around here the last couple of days. Had a car bomb go off yesterday (Day afterThanksgiving) that was a bit close my vehicle took alot of shrapnel. Not the first and probably not the last. There is beer and alchohol BUT General Order #1 states clearly that there will be NO consumption of alchohol beverages. We get near beer. Here at the Embassy the State Department gurus follow there own rules. They hang out at night by the pool drinking whine, mixed drinks and beer while the rest of us have water, gatorade, and Near Beer. There is mass amounts of alchohol consumed at the Brits camp, Aussie camp and the other foreign national's camps. There is the Baghdad Country Club that sells anything you want as long as you are not US Military.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey tough guy! Deface Art work? Yeti alone is PURELY ART WORK. Photo crop come and join me out here tough guy. Get a taste of what it is really like and you can come out to the Al Rashe Hotel and check it out for yourself.

I Just Ride....

Good job! Sadly, I don't ride a Yeti, but we have other common interests...

HooAhh to you "MAJ haloranger"
    "SSG mtbbrian"
    :thumbsup
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    More then you know. It was quite awhile ago that I too was SSG. You could say I grew up in 1/75. And went back to Regiment as an Officer. Looks like Baghdad Yeti be moving to Taji in December. More photos to follow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Another Army Yeti-Head

MAJ HaloRanger--

You da' MTB man for Yeti in Iraq. Betcha' there would be some good riding in the desert if you didn't have to watch out for IED's and other bad stuff. When you return you should be hired as Yeti's worldwide publicist.

I should post a photo of my left ankle. Tattooed thereupon is the logo of my bike shop: Totally Wired Cyclery in Fraser, Colorado and above that is the Yeti Ice Axe. Better yet, when you're home, hopefully by next Spring, you come on up to Winter Park and I'll show you our stash of "locals only/top secret" rockin' trails.

Be safe, thanks for your service and come home soon.

Keep the rubber side down, Rick Foutch, COL, MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Rick,
    Thanks for the invite. Winter Park is a great place to ride. i rode there right before I left. Went out and Hit the Broken Thumb trail and few others for cross country riding and then up to finish on nothing but downhills. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New Pics

Here are some new pictures out at FOB (Forward Operating Base) Prosperity that is on the boarder of the Red Zone (Unsecured Area) and the IZ / Green Zone (International Zone). It is a guard tower that overlooks to the north western corner of the IZ. Talking with the Soldiers that just arrived three days ago and this was their second day on guard duty. They came in from FT Carson, CO. So I grab a picture of the three of us supporting our home grown bike company YETI. The second picture is the view out into the Red Zone. Notice the half built Mosque in the picture if it had been finished it would have been the worlds largest Mosque. Saddam used this as a way to build and furnish his Palaces and relatives' homes with nicer things but never finished it. It is also believed that it was to unite the Muslim Nations as one but this had too many loop holes.
    Last edited by haloranger; 12-04-2006 at 11:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast