mtbr member

bad things happen in threes

Since Sunday:

My rear derailleur bent in a dumb slow-motion fall and no longer shifts smoothly!!!

I busted a spoke and discovered the rear rotor won't budge (have never removed it in two years, stripped a bolt) so I can not easily replace the spoke!!!!!!!

Accidentally broke the piston on my rear caliper that holds the pad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No 575 for the 24 hour race this weekend. Actually, no 575 for a while.

I am so depressed.

Ant

mtbr member
    Hmmm. . . maybe it's time for a few budget upgrades. I've seen the following cheap on the web: Juicy 5's to replace the HFX9s, X.9 derailleur and shifters to replace my XT rear and LX pods, and one Crossmax XL (or SL??) rear wheel.

Thoughts?

Ant

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Juicy 5's to replace the HFX9s, X.9 derailleur and shifters to replace my XT rear and LX pods, and one Crossmax XL (or SL??) rear wheel.
    I've been riding Juicy 5s for several years now, very pleased with them. I give them a bleed about once every year, but other than changing the pads they are trouble free for me.

The x.9 stuff has also been rock solid for me. I replaced a XT drivetrain with x.9 and have been quite pleased.

Crossmax wheel? I'm a fan of just getting wheels built by a good builder like Larry at Mtn High Cyclery or Mike Garcia, but the Crossmax are a ready made solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Since Sunday:

My rear derailleur bent in a dumb slow-motion fall and no longer shifts smoothly!!!

I busted a spoke and discovered the rear rotor won't budge (have never removed it in two years, stripped a bolt) so I can not easily replace the spoke!!!!!!!

Accidentally broke the piston on my rear caliper that holds the pad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :
    No 575 for the 24 hour race this weekend. Actually, no 575 for a while.

I am so depressed.

Ant
    Bend the R. Derailleur cage back.
    Dremel a slot on the torx rotor bolt and remove with a flathead screw driver
    Replace spoke.
    I have no easy fix for the broken piston... I'm assuming you broke the pin that's is on the piston. If so, the LBS might be able to do a rebuild for you...

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    That is a good idea. I've got a stripped out rear der. hanger bolt, that I've left alone to this point but this might be my solution. I know that someday I'm going to be out on the trail and bend my hanger and not be able to get the damn thing off.

Not sure how it got installed so tight, it stripped out the first time I tried to remove it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    That is a good idea. I've got a stripped out rear der. hanger bolt, that I've left alone to this point but this might be my solution. I know that someday I'm going to be out on the trail and bend my hanger and not be able to get the damn thing off.

Not sure how it got installed so tight, it stripped out the first time I tried to remove it.
    If it's the super tiny 2mm allen heads that are stripped, try to gently bang (is "gently bang an oxymoron?) a non-metric hex wrench into it to get some bite to remove it. OR, you can try to bang a torx driver into it so it can get some purchase on the sides of the stripped hex while twisting...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Bend the R. Derailleur cage back.
    Replace spoke.
    I have no easy fix for the broken piston... I'm assuming you broke the pin that's is on the piston. If so, the LBS might be able to do a rebuild for you...
    I paid $15 to have the RD bent back on my bike and $10 for a spare which I now carry with me.

New brakes are getting cheap and should be easy to replace.