Thread: ASX as a dh rig

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

ASX as a dh rig

I am thinking of building a light weight dh rig out of a asx. Anyone tried this? Thought?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have an ASX set up as close to a DH as is needed. I even placed a 24" rear on it. Its a sick bike. I climb everywhere with and bomb the hell out of it. Best Bike Ive ever owned.

mtbr member
    im hopefully ordering as-x tomarrow and its going to be set up to race

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Do you ride at G in Simi?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mine is setup for DH. I love this bike! Boxxer 180 mm, E13 single guide, FR 6.1D, Maxxis Minion. 40% sag. Well balanced. Good Luck!

local trails rider
    Here's some recent AS-X racing galleries.
    http://www.fillarikauppa.com/gallery...kisakuvat2006/

Outcast
    I rode an asx for a season as a dh bike. For the most part, it did everything well, except for high speed straight line riding. The short wheelbase made for s twitchy, nervous feeling at warp speed. Since this kind of riding may not be representative of your riding, it may not matter to you.
    The short wheelbase shined in steep switchback turns.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I rode an asx for a season as a dh bike. For the most part, it did everything well, except for high speed straight line riding. The short wheelbase made for s twitchy, nervous feeling at warp speed. Since this kind of riding may not be representative of your riding, it may not matter to you.
    The short wheelbase shined in steep switchback turns.
    This is my experience when riding my AS-X at Mammoth and on the local trails. As your speed increases the short wheel base and 67 head angle become apparent. For the slow stuff the wheel base and head angle are great.
    Last edited by Nagaredama; 11-10-2006 at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member
    If you put a 7" or 8" DC fork on it, it will slacken it out just perfectly for DH. I got mine midway through the '04 season (because I could not afford the DH9 at the time) and raced it through this one (retiring it this winter). I've raced everything from short local 2-minute courses to Nationals and have been very pleased.

The one thing I've noticed is that there is a lot of chain movement with the single pivot layout; you WILL need a good chain guide to keep things in check. I used to run three rings becasue it was my trailbike too; but as I got faster and the courses got rougher, my shiftable lower guide and front derailleur could not keep the chain on any more.

Here are some picts of my ASX in use (sorry about the size):

Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

mtbr member

I do it

I think it makes a great DH bike for tracks that are pedally, or tight tracks. In Queensland (OZ) a lot of the tracks are like that, really tight and twisty. The ASX rocks, the steep stuff is ok, not as good as a true DH bike, but i can easily make that time up on the tight corners and pedaling out of everything. I have it set up with an e13 DRS, and a 36/24 front, with an 11-23 rear cassette. For faster tracks, i can slap a 40t ring on the front. The forks are currently set to 7 inch. For steeper or rockier tracks, i up it to 8 inches. Its my only mtb, and so its gotta be versitile!

Once, again, very nice for tight pedally tracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No More Signatures

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I raced an ASX with a Boxxer for a couple years... It did really well, even on the rough stuff at northstar.

I raced the ASX again with a 36 on the front on a smooth course a few weeks ago... good setup, but i am not a big fan of real DH riding or jumping on the 36.... it is a bit too small of a fork for me to feel comfortable with when hitting rough stuff.

I would have to admit that the DH9 i have now would be better for high speed bombing, but the ASX definitely pedals better.

On Thanksgiving i put my 40 on the ASX and it is my new favorite bike... pedals well, the 7" is all you need in the nor cal bay area.. and the 40 plus the geometry it creates is awsome.

I will most likey race the Fox40/ASX in most DH races except for the roughest, where i would run the DH9/40. (i call it the "49er")
    I am a yeti addict, 8 in all:
    Currently built:
    ASR-SL, 575, DH9, Road Project, FRO
    Currently in Pieces:
    ASX, Lawill-6,ARC

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I raced an ASX with a Boxxer for a couple years... It did really well, even on the rough stuff at northstar.

I raced the ASX again with a 36 on the front on a smooth course a few weeks ago... good setup, but i am not a big fan of real DH riding or jumping on the 36.... it is a bit too small of a fork for me to feel comfortable with when hitting rough stuff.

I would have to admit that the DH9 i have now would be better for high speed bombing, but the ASX definitely pedals better.

On Thanksgiving i put my 40 on the ASX and it is my new favorite bike... pedals well, the 7" is all you need in the nor cal bay area.. and the 40 plus the geometry it creates is awsome.

I will most likey race the Fox40/ASX in most DH races except for the roughest, where i would run the DH9/40. (i call it the "49er")

I have also used dual and sinlgle ring setups. The bike pedals increadibly well with a single ring, but bobs a little in the granny ring. If you can make the power i recomend the single. I have been running a 38 tooth single for a few months now. The MRP 1 works great with the elevated stays. With a 32-40 tooth ring you dont really need to enable the propedal to climb.

Also, the 5th element didnt work well, but the DHX kicks arse.
    I am a yeti addict, 8 in all:
    Currently built:
    ASR-SL, 575, DH9, Road Project, FRO
    Currently in Pieces:
    ASX, Lawill-6,ARC