mtbr member

New question here. ASR7 - Are people still ripping on these???

Just curious really.

I have found myself a really really really sweet deal on a brand new 2012 ASR7. However its out of state for me so I can't throw a leg over before handing over my hard saved $ and I can't find anyone local with one for me to try.

Obviously the geo (on paper) is long and tall. I can handle long, but tall has me second guessing myself. Today's AM style bikes (ignoring wheel size) are all about short as possible chain stays, lax head angles and generally lower, longer frames.

I've read all the reviews I can find and ASR7 sounds like a good fit for my style (or lack there of) though.

I guess my question is "​Is the ASR7 still relevant in todays AM world???"
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.

Long live the ASR-7
    I absolutely love mine. I searched high and low for a new frame for over a year. I was riding a 575, so the ride characteristics are very similar, but the 7 is so much more solid from front to rear. I noticed no reduction in climbing, but descending is out of this world better on the 7.

jddist
    May 2008
    Still loving mine. It is my do everything bike and other than being a bit heavy, more due to build kit than anything else, just kills my 575. Not a bike I would choose if most of my rides are long 2+ hour pedal trail rides, but then again, that is not what it was designed for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    I absolutely love mine. I searched high and low for a new frame for over a year. I was riding a 575, so the ride characteristics are very similar, but the 7 is so much more solid from front to rear. I noticed no reduction in climbing, but descending is out of this world better on the 7.
    That's great to hear - as long as its not an absolute pig when climbing, I am happy

Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    Still loving mine. It is my do everything bike and other than being a bit heavy, more due to build kit than anything else, just kills my 575. Not a bike I would choose if most of my rides are long 2+ hour pedal trail rides, but then again, that is not what it was designed for.
    Hmmm thats interesting that you mention that. Most of our rides are 2+ hours easily (not that its flat out or high intense lol) but most of us ride an AM style rig - 5in through to 7in coils - so I dont think I would be too out of place.

Is it due to the general weight/style of bike that puts you off using it for a 2+ hour rides or something else?
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.

jddist
    May 2008
    Most of my rides are usually right around 2 hours with 80% time going up steep tech stuff. Full on granny gear, not fire road or smooth trail stuff. Then down the same, which makes the 7 so much fun. It honestly climes the tech stuff better than my 575 or my firebird did. Since it my do all bike, I also use it for more mellow long 3+ hour basic trail rides. However, to make my first post a bit clearer, if I were doing mostly 2+ hour basic trail rides where a lighter build, mostly wheel set and tires, and a more trail oriented frame would be better suited I would go that route. In fact, I am currently building up a Blur LT to be that bike. I will still use my 7 for the majority of my riding because currently that is the type of riding I do most of the time, but for the days and trip where the riding will be less intense I will take the blur. Hope that helps.

jddist
    May 2008
    I would also say that it is a tall bike so if you are real short, stand over clearance may be a problem. Also, if your are big heavy guy you may run into problems getting the rear suspension set up if it is air due to the leverage ratio. I weight 190 and have to put 235psi in DHX air for 30% sag.

mtbr member
    I am picking up what you're putting down istvisinet and I appreciate the help you are giving me. I do realise its a 7in bike and will ride accordingly - I don't expect it to climb like a XC, just like I don't expect a XC to descend like the ASR7 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    I would also say that it is a tall bike so if you are real short, stand over clearance may be a problem. Also, if your are big heavy guy you may run into problems getting the rear suspension set up if it is air due to the leverage ratio. I weight 190 and have to put 235psi in DHX air for 30% sag.
    Yeah I've read its pretty tall, but its similar to my last bike so I will cope/deal with it lol the ASR7 currently has DHX air installed but I will be swapping it out for an RC4 with ti spring.

Long live the ASR-7
    I'm running a CCDB and a Fox 36 160mm. I've got heavy wheels (Azonic Outlaws) and heavy tires (2.4 Big Betty front/2.4 High Roller II rear). It's set up like a mini-DH/park bike. Even with this set up I have no issues climbing. Can't get over how much fun this bike is.

mtbr member
    I'm running a CCDB and a Fox 36 160mm. I've got heavy wheels (Azonic Outlaws) and heavy tires (2.4 Big Betty front/2.4 High Roller II rear). It's set up like a mini-DH/park bike. Even with this set up I have no issues climbing. Can't get over how much fun this bike is.
    Are you running a single or double ring setup? How do you find/like the CCDB - I have only used Fox coil on the rear of my rigs.

Long live the ASR-7
    I'm running a 1x9 setup. The CCDB is my first coil shock. It weighs a ton, but I'm not really concerned with bike weight. It is so smooth and adjustable to my exact liking. Only complaint I have is that the mounting hardware has rubber pieces and squeaks just a little.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: ASR7 - Are people still ripping on these???

I railed a 7 for 2 years before acquiring a 66 and a 303. I was really happy with it, still have the frame!. I ran it everything between a 29lbs XC build to a 37lbs monster.

I lastly had it setup with a single N/W ring and a full guide and loved it. It was a bit of a bear pushing the single 36t at times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Well I have locked myself into this new ASR7! I'm lucky as its a really sweet custom build by the crew here downunder. All I will change is the bars (gotta have my NP 800w 35mm bad boys) and slap on some pedals!

Cant wait (hurry up mr postman!!!).

Long live the ASR-7
    Got it yet?

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    I've been riding my asr7 for 3 years. I bought it as a one-bike quiver for southern California and it was great for the rocky stuff. Four months ago I moved to Oregon and I'm still loving it as a AM/FR/trail bike. Most of my rides are 2 hours and its great. The features/bike park stuff here in the Pacific Northwest is awesome and the Yeti handles it all just fine.

Has anyone run a Cane Creek DB Air on their asr7? I'm considering putting one on, as the RP23 isn't cutting it for downhill/FR stuff.

mtbr member
    I love my ASR7, it's got a great cult following too. Some of the folks I bump into on the trails see the bike and give it a grin. Pedals up great and mine comes in at a portly 35 lbs. I threw on a RC4 and it smoothed out the rear, I am looking for a ti rear spring but having a hard time locating one. You'll love the bike, most of our rides average 2 hours with plenty of pedaling uphill.

Long live the ASR-7
    Riding my ASR-7 yesterday. Every time out I ask myself why Yeti discontinued this bike. It's so much fun to ride.

***Offensive language warning***
    Sorry, I like Nine Inch Nails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Riding my ASR-7 yesterday. Every time out I ask myself why Yeti discontinued this bike. It's so much fun to ride.

***Offensive language warning***
    Sorry, I like Nine Inch Nails.

Nice .... the ASR-7 still rips ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    And still ripping ....