mtbr member

ASR7 with dual crown (40 or boxxer), Ride reports?

I've been contemplating a Van 36 180 for my 7 for shuttle runs. However I've noticed that the axle to crown height for a 180 fork and a 203 dual crown, like a Fox 40, is only a 5mm difference. Drop the 40 by .5" and it's mute point.

For those that have run a 40 on there 7, any problems you've run into? With the A-C height being so close I can't see it really being a problem for frame strength. Handling changes?

mtbr member
    Man I have never seen one (ASR-7) setup like that, I know for your shuttle runs, you may not be worried about any weight, but the Fox Van is a great fork, and saves you that extra pound of the 40. Not to mention the extra overall bulk of the 40.

I would'nt knock it if some one did it, just seems a bit overkill to me. But hey there is always a first time for anything.

Picture Unrelated
    I'd run your idea past the people at Yeti before you try it. Dual crown forks tend to exert a larger force on headtubes than an equivalent A-C single crown fork. They'll pretty obviously say that it'll void your warranty but they might tell you if the frame is suitable for a dual crown fork or not.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I have seen a dual crown on many other AM frames, Nomad specifically. Honestly a single crown 180 coil like the Van or even a Totem would prove to be much more playfull and still plow!

EDR
    I've seen d/c forks on the old style 575. This was 5,6, 7 or 8 years ago so they probably weren't 180mm forks. This doesn't answer the question but....

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    I have seen a dual crown on many other AM frames, Nomad specifically. Honestly a single crown 180 coil like the Van or even a Totem would prove to be much more playfull and still plow!
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I've seen d/c forks on the old style 575. This was 5,6, 7 or 8 years ago so they probably weren't 180mm forks. This doesn't answer the question but....
    Bear Grylls drinks his own piss; doesn't mean it's a good idea... if you catch my drift.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Here's the picture that got me going on the whole thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR7 with dual crown (40 or boxxer), Ride reports?-img00224-20101031-1730.jpg  

mtbr member
    I don't have a 7, but I have a Canfield One with a Boxxer, which seems like a similar bike: long travel trail/"all mountain" whatever that means.

I have the Boxxer WC, which is an air fork, and I gather not what you were thinking, but it's lighter than a Totem or 66, and as you noticed has about the same axle crown. I'm very happy with it, even though it's never been on a lift or shuttle (IOW I climb with it). There's only one place I've ever really noticed the limited wheel/bar turning, and that was easy to get around once I got used to it. I do need to think about my line a little farther down the trail than I was used to doing, but that's not a bad thing; I've probably gotten faster because of it.

I don't regret it at all, for what that's worth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been thinking about this as well, i.e. Fox 40 @ 7" travel to balance out the ride. My 7 see's nothing but FR now, (i'm ditching the reverb to). I found the braking bumps/DH courses at Trestle put the Fox 160 well beyond its limit

mtbr member

Well this is what happens after a couple slow days at work and browsing craigslist too much. I found a Boxxer for $200 in decent shape. About to find out how it does. ASR7 with dual crown (40 or boxxer), Ride reports?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372198295.575388.jpg

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I had a boxxer that I was getting ready to lower to 7" and throw on my 7, but a 303 fell into my hands and I built that up instead. My 7 will get built with a boxxer someday.

And there is a 7 with a 40 on the front of it in the 7 build thread if I remember correctly.

Send from my phablet.
    Last edited by swan3609; 06-25-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member

First ride finished with the boxxer fork. Definitely feel the weight on the climbs and the now super slack seat tube angle. I'm sure I could adjust to it, but the 160 is definitely ideal for climbing. The comes to life in a while different way on the descents, and that was with minimal tuning of the fork. Definetly worth throwing on the front for lift service. Although the bottom bracket is a little high at around 14" I didn't notice any negative handling from the bike, but a more sensitive and experienced rider might.

All it all it wasn't a bad experiment. I might want to try riding one if the new
    Talas forks to see how it feels against my buttery Van 160. If its as good ad they say, I might be selling both forks for a new Talas 180.