mtbr member

ASR5c - Seized upper shock mounting Bolt (Help Please!)

Hey Folks!

I have a '10 ASR5c which is overdue for a shock service and new bushings. However, I'm having an extremely hard time removing the shock [something I imagined would be so easy]!

The upper shock bolt (Female 8x31mm) which goes through the shock reducers is seized solid. When I try to turn it, the aluminum insert withing the frame turn also.

Any suggestions? Has anybody had a similar situation and how did you get the bolt out?

FYI - My local Yeti dealer said they would probably have to drill it out and could take a looong time.

and I'm going to majorly lube-up the bolts on my 575!

Thanks.

Paulo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR5c - Seized upper shock mounting Bolt (Help Please!)-2013-07-04-21.06.37.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sink some lube into it for a while. Have nice, not worn out (ideally long - for leverage) Allen keys in both sides, and slowly crank it. Mine have been pretty snug in there, but I have gotten them out. You have to be careful, those bolts are titanium and pretty soft. If you are not mechanically minded, get somebody who is - it could save you a lot of headaches.

MOO
    mtbr member
    My shop used used lots of lube a vice and bearing press to remove the pin from my ASRC frame. Took lots of patience and time to get it out. It came out straight undamaged and reused. No hammers allowed!

mtbr member
    Big Thanks for your input Moo and Chunkylover.

I left the seized hardware in lube for a long time. Unfortunately, it still wouldn't budge. I drilled the head off the Female and tried to pull the pin through the other side and still solid on there. There seems to be serious galling occurring on the alloy sleeve held by the carbon body. (I suspect this was the result of rider sweat saturating the bolt?!).

Right now I am in the process of drilling out the Pin. And WOW, this has been such a tedious job. Today, a friend of mine that is a machinest will be helping me out.

(NOTE: IF you're reading this and currently have the similar or same problem, I recommend you do not attempt to try remove the pin/bolt yourself unless you are quite mechanically inclined and have the proper tools. Bring your frame to your local Yeti dealer or machine shop. I'm a certified mechanic and experienced in diagnosing and repairing mechanical failures - and this job has not been easy. Just Saying)