> /dev/null 2&>1

Asr5 rear end play under standing climb (warning: perfectionist)

Hey fellow yetizens

On my Asr5c, 2011, almost new: during hard standing climbs or standing sprints close to max torque, I feel some play somewhere in the drivetrain when the weight shifts from left to right pedal or vice versa. Actually, its a real nit-pick, its almost impossible to notice on dirt, I only really notice it on pavement. Either way:
    1) Have checked pedals for play, none detectable. Pedals are not loose
    2) Have checked BB for play, and verified torque of BB with torque wrench. I have a sram crank with sram GXP BB, so its not some issue with tolerances and compatibility with different manufacturers
    3) This leaves the rear triangle:
    When I grab the seatstay, hold the top tube, and push back and forth hard, yes there is some play, but not more than other bikes, since I noticed this problem I have been testing the rear end play on different bikes and they all have a very small amount, its just a consequence of that many pivots.

I only ask because, if there is something obvious that needs tightening I don't want to let it go, if that's just how the bike is I am fine with that. I just don't want to put 500 miles on it and find I had something loose that needs to be replaced.

thx!
    Last edited by Procter; 04-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Did you check the bolt torque on the linkage bolts? I had to re-torque my ASR5C after a couple months and that took care of some slight play.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You might want to check the dropouts to make sure the mounting screws are tight. I have seen them loosen up, so I keep a close eye on them.

mtbr member
    Some hubs can develop play. That is another area to check.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the A version but I also notice some play in the back. If you grab the handle bars and the seat post push down hard in the pedals standing on the side of the bike (the old BB noise test) you can really see the flex. Its more then other bikes out there but its not that bad.

I also had the same torquing issues. Just empty all the air from the rear shock pull the bolts and re torque them can't remember if there was lock tight on them or not but you will see.

MC MasterShake
    There should not be any play if things are working properly. One of the shock bolts loosened on mine after the first few rides. Try tightening every shock bolt. After a season of riding my shock reducers developed some play. Once I replaced the reducers and eyelet bushing it stiffened it right back up.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    BAM! Lower pivot had loosened, I did the left, took the crank off to get to the right side. No play at all now. Torqued all the others too, they were mostly at correct torque.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!