ride your bike

ASR5 as play bike, trail bike, enduro racer?

Hey Yeti peeps, I'm in the process of selling a couple bikes to fund a new trail/play/enduro race bike purchase. For a couple weeks I've had my eyes on the Specialized stumpjumper EVO...67 degree head angle, 150mm travel f/r. I test rode one this weekend and it felt great.

My wife owns a 2011 575. It's a small frame but I love how the bike feels (I'm usually on a med or large bike with short stem). This is what led me to perusing the ASR5. I love the description of the frame; it sounds fun and "poppy" and fast. The geo measurements are very similar between the stumpy and 5. I'd be on a large with 50mm stem and wide bars on either bike. Both bikes/builds I'm considering have 32mm fork uppers and thru-axles.

So here's my question for you folks with ASR5 experience: Am I going to destroy this bike? I like medium sized jump and drops (with adequate tranny...no drops to flat for this guy) and the odd steep/gnarly/technical trail. I have no doubt it's a really fun and fast bike, but is a 210lb guy on a 4-5 ft drop over doing it? Thanks for your help!
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    I fit your profile and ride an ASR5 with that build. It suits it perfect for what you are looking for. Go for it.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    I fit your profile and ride an ASR5 with that build. It suits it perfect for what you are looking for. Go for it.
    Thanks bpnic! Do you do much fast/techy downhill? There are some fairly gnarly trails here (Seattle area) that I'd want to ride with the asr5. Steep rollers, ladder drops, some small/med sized jumps. But mostly I'd be riding fast flowy trails with lots of opportunity to pop the bike over roots/rocks/etc.

I was happy to read that you think there's not much handling difference between the asr5 and sb66 in the tech stuff. Is there anything you don't like about the asr5?

mtbr member
    I weigh more than you (230), ride an XL. I've ridden Moab, Fruita and really like 2-3fters but I thought that was about all I'd like to do with the bike. It may just my sad skills. I love riding the flowy with it and the roots and rockys are nicely smoothed out. I have ridden a few 20 mile races and loved racing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
    Thanks bpnic! Do you do much fast/techy downhill? There are some fairly gnarly trails here (Seattle area) that I'd want to ride with the asr5. Steep rollers, ladder drops, some small/med sized jumps. But mostly I'd be riding fast flowy trails with lots of opportunity to pop the bike over roots/rocks/etc.

I was happy to read that you think there's not much handling difference between the asr5 and sb66 in the tech stuff. Is there anything you don't like about the asr5?

No problem! It's the least amount of travel I have ever owned in a full suspension bike, but with a 150mm fork, dropper post, 2.4 tires, wide bars and a stubby stem it is a ton of fun. I am a fairly slow climber, but on the descents I try and make up for it.
    If I don't hit a particular jump/ drop on this bike, I probably wouldn't hit it on anything.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

ride your bike
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

Recently Returned Rider
    Feb 2008
    Love mine on the trail. Super nimble and quick. Definitely a ton of fun.