• 08-22-2013
    jpvm
    6 Attachment(s)
    ASR5 cracked rear swingarm , after 3 months of use
    You judge , this ASR5 was bought in April 24, 2013 and assembled in early May 2013 , my 14 year old son used it in XC use and light enduro (he doesn't jump nor its a radical rider, by far) please check the bike , its new, no falls, nothing , and this is the result after 3 months of weekend use.
    Matt of Yeti says the reason of this is because we used a rear brake rotor of 203 mm instead of the maximum 185 mm they say (singe piston calipers). In other words, if you use a brake rotor that is 9% bigger, the widest part of the rear carbon swing arm breaks with this bike ..... nice safety factors of this bike (I've seen many other triangles craked on the web of these ASR5 , were they using 203 mm rotors ? , I bet you $ 5.000 that not , even today I saw a cracked SB66 in this same forum) ... so they void my warranty and I'm stuck with a broken Yeti ... nice for Yeti , with international customers... what is for a company that sells thousands of bikes to cover a customer (I have 2 Yetis) what is something they know exists as a failure of thier productive line ?? Nothing, but they hung on this cheap technical gig of the brake rotor... I'm off the Yeti tribe. Bad Bad attitude.
    When I bought Yeti I thought I was buying quality and warranty, they just went the way of a cheap excuse ...

    PS: I went to talk to a shop where the guy in charge has been latinamerican DH champ , having ridden DH and now Enduro for 20 years , and he says by far this ain't the reason.
  • 08-22-2013
    Salt Yeti
    Sorry dude, that sounds like a lame excuse to me. I agree that they should cover this failure. How much does a new swingarm cost?
  • 08-22-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Salt Yeti View Post
    Sorry dude, that sounds like a lame excuse to me. I agree that they should cover this failure. How much does a new swingarm cost?

    Hi how are u ? To mee too ... the new swingarm (if ever YETI has it) the local dealer offered it to me for US$ 380 "crash package" ... Imagine how I feel if 3 months ago I paid US$ 799 for this frame @ DEpt. of Goods. com .... (50% of the frame cost would go with this issue) ...
  • 08-23-2013
    Fat Fingers
    Sorry to hear about your frame...... But why on earth would you put a 203mm rear break rotor on a 5 inch trail bike?
  • 08-23-2013
    smithcreek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    Imagine how I feel if 3 months ago I paid US$ 799 for this frame @ DEpt. of Goods. com

    I imagine you feel like you wish you had followed the rotor size they recommended? Without being a physicist it's still easy to see that the huge brake caliper adapter acted like a lever, creating forces way beyond what the frame was designed for. Live and learn, buy a new rotor and adapter when you get the rear triangle and the bike should be fine.
  • 08-23-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fat Fingers View Post
    Sorry to hear about your frame...... But why on earth would you put a 203mm rear break rotor on a 5 inch trail bike?


    It's just a kid, he bought it and installed it .... but this doesn't justify that if the Yeti web page indicates (now I know) a max rotor size of 185 mm and you install a 203 mm one it'd brake the swingarm. The use of this bike is not radical , he weighs like 135 lbs ... I've seen ASR5 riders of 200 lbs with 180 mm rotors braking like they0ve stopped the world and this is bay far more stresssing....
  • 08-23-2013
    mnigro
    yeah, that sucks. isn't department of goods part of the competitive cyclist conglomerate? do they offer the lifetime satisfaction warranty? could be one other option?
  • 08-23-2013
    bpnic
    Bummer, but it states right on Yeti's website that the largest rotor that frame takes is 185mm.

    ASR-5 FAQ section:

    Yeti Cycles / Home
  • 08-23-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Bummer, but it states right on Yeti's website that the largest rotor that frame takes is 185mm.

    ASR-5 FAQ section:

    Yeti Cycles / Home

    That's the only argument YETI uses , but ok, you think if you put a 9% bigger rotor it should brake apart after 3 months ? What happens if I mount a Shimano Saint brake w/double piston caliper and produces 20 or 30% more stopping leverage, it should brake the complete frame ? Or a rider that is 50 lbs heavier than my son ?

    Something is wrong, a design cannot brake with such a minor details after this short time, what kind of safety factor is this ? Some frames brake after some time (fatigue) , but not a 3 month old bike used on weekends by a 14 year old kid ....

    Many frames have been exchanged by YETI , broken ASR5s , and those were not using 203 mm rotors ... in fact YETI was about to accept the warranty claim but when they discovered the 203 mm rotor , they denied (185 mm accepted ... 203 mm brakes the bike...nice resistance..)
  • 08-23-2013
    Dogboy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    Hi how are u ? To mee too ... the new swingarm (if ever YETI has it) the local dealer offered it to me for US$ 380 "crash package" ... Imagine how I feel if 3 months ago I paid US$ 799 for this frame @ DEpt. of Goods. com .... (50% of the frame cost would go with this issue) ...

    The only reason that $380 seems like a lot is because you paid so little for the frame. $799 is nowhere near the original retail vaule of the ASR5. You should be thankful that there is a crash replacement option in place that offers you a fair price on a replacement rear triangle.
  • 08-23-2013
    eatdrinkride
    Re: ASR5 cracked rear swingarm , after 3 months of use
    I'm sorry for your situation but I gotta say, $380 is not a bad price. That frame was originally well over 1,500 dollars if I remember correctly. You just got one for a screaming deal. I would pony up the dollars and put a proper rotor on it. Although the 203 millimeter rotor may only be 10 percent larger in diameter.... I believe that as you move further and further away from the center of the rotor the braking forces become exponentially larger. There's a reason that in the manual it states a max rotor size, whether or not that large rotor is truly the cause of failure I cannot say. You seem to give the impression that there are many many failures in the same spot, I have no way of verifying that.
  • 08-23-2013
    jpvm
    I can't deny the deal on the ASR frame price, but this doesn't justify the swingarm brakes after 3 months (and only weekends) .... even people that buy a US$ 800 LED TV set would scream it it burns after 3 months ...
  • 08-23-2013
    eatdrinkride
    Re: ASR5 cracked rear swingarm , after 3 months of use
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    I can't deny the deal on the ASR frame price, but this doesn't justify the swingarm brakes after 3 months (and only weekends) .... even people that buy a US$ 800 LED TV set would scream it it burns after 3 months ...

    So **** happens. Here's what you do since you obviously will never be happy with the bike again. Buy the swing arm and then sell the frame, you can get what you paid for it and wash your hands clean of the whole thing.
  • 08-23-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I'm sorry for your situation but I gotta say, $380 is not a bad price. That frame was originally well over 1,500 dollars if I remember correctly. You just got one for a screaming deal. I would pony up the dollars and put a proper rotor on it. Although the 203 millimeter rotor may only be 10 percent larger in diameter.... I believe that as you move further and further away from the center of the rotor the braking forces become exponentially larger. There's a reason that in the manual it states a max rotor size, whether or not that large rotor is truly the cause of failure I cannot say. You seem to give the impression that there are many many failures in the same spot, I have no way of verifying that.

    I am engineeer and certainly the leverage or momentum induced by the brake caliper on on the rotor on the pivot point is linear , Force * radius of the rotor; if radius is 9% bigger , so will be the momentum. And the momentum transmits itsel on the frame via the upper tensors, the swingarm is under tension and flex due to the self weigth of the bike, the weight of the rider and mass forces of jumps...

    Cracked swingarms,m just google them , to name a few :

    http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/cracked-...r5-640908.html

    Yeti ASR 5C cracked rear end | YETIFAN.com FORUM
    Do I need to worry about... (Yeti content) Singletrack Forum
    BikeRadar.com ? View topic - yeti asr 5 issues
    Yeti 575 broken carbon rear triangle [Archive] - Bike Magic Forums

    were all these guys using a larger than 185 mm on the rear ??
  • 08-23-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    So **** happens. Here's what you do since you obviously will never be happy with the bike again. Buy the swing arm and then sell the frame, you can get what you paid for it and wash your hands clean of the whole thing.

    Not a bad idea , I've thought about it, but my son loves the ARS5 ... I have an ASR7 and also love it ... I don't like the WAY Yeti Cycles got rid of me ....
  • 08-24-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    I imagine you feel like you wish you had followed the rotor size they recommended? Without being a physicist it's still easy to see that the huge brake caliper adapter acted like a lever, creating forces way beyond what the frame was designed for. Live and learn, buy a new rotor and adapter when you get the rear triangle and the bike should be fine.



    Ps, I Found that the 185 mm rotor size fact is in the FAQ partof Yetis web page and not in the bikes user manual, so its even weaker argument of YETIS disclaimer.....
  • 08-28-2013
    jpvm
    Update , sent the rear swingarm to an aircraft certified carbon fibre specialist (works with carbon aircraft, helicopters, cars, etc.) since Yeti didn't cover me due to its failed design. The repair will cost me almost US$ 200 ... the cracked swingarm repaired and reinforced for life keeping the geometry, thickness and gaining some extra resistance.
    The rear triangle is really very light , it weighs nothing , I think its too light for a trail / all mountain bike, too fragile ... the pivots and bearing housings are good but the general finish is very delicate , so these bikes' carbon part looks to be short lifed ...







  • 08-30-2013
    DLd
    Hopefully you'll use some of the money you saved to buy a 180mm rotor and adapter so it doesn't happen again. That big honkin' 203mm adapter has quite a lever arm.
  • 09-09-2013
    jpvm
    4 Attachment(s)
    Update on ASR5 after repairing the rear swingarm locally ...

    Repaired Swingarm
    New Deore 2014 Brakes
    New 183 mm Hope rotors
    New XT plus shifters
    New XT shadow plus rear derraileur
    New 42T rear xT casette + Sram Chain

    Let's pray to God...
  • 09-09-2013
    Fat Fingers
    If I were you I would run a 160mm rear disc. Nearly all breaking power goes into front brake and I don't think you need 180 on this bike.
  • 09-10-2013
    bear
    FF: Depends on how long the downhills are ... I found 160's fine on the back until I got beyond about 1-2 mile long downhills when I encountered the evil fade. Moving to larger (or better, or both) rotors solved my issue. Sure, I could brake less but I'm not confident going over 30 mph on some trail.

    JPVM: "locally fixed" carbon?
  • 09-10-2013
    smithcreek
    Looks like they did a nice job.
  • 09-10-2013
    dragbike
    Something doesn't add up here. I own an ASR5, weigh 225# and ride the HELL out of it. Two full seasons on it and no issues what so ever. I run 180mm rotors front and rear and often brake very hard- although mostly with the front while leaning back over saddle. Rear braking is more for control. Why would a teenage kid need a 203mm rotor on the rear for xc riding anyways?

    DId you buy it from an authorized Yeti dealer? I think Yeti's warranty might also say it's void if bike is not built by an authorized dealer. Not sure on that though. Could it have sustained some shipping damage that went un-noticed?

    While it may sound like a lame excuse, if Yeti states max rotor size 185mm then it is what it is. Your dealer should have told you no go on the 203mm, or did you just buy the frame. ASR is an XC/trail bike not a DH bike. Many forks also have stated max rotor sizes.

    I had a car at one time that I installed an aftermarket air intake on. After installing it I found out that it would void the engine warranty. Guess what I did- I removed it.
  • 09-10-2013
    yeti575inCA
    Interested to see pictures of actual repaired area. I have a 575 all carbon rear that is cracked.
  • 09-11-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bear View Post

    JPVM: "locally fixed" carbon?

    I live in Chile, Southamerica , today I got the swingarm repaired by a guy that is specialized in carbon fibre repair.
  • 09-11-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    Something doesn't add up here. I own an ASR5, weigh 225# and ride the HELL out of it. Two full seasons on it and no issues what so ever. I run 180mm rotors front and rear and often brake very hard- although mostly with the front while leaning back over saddle. Rear braking is more for control. Why would a teenage kid need a 203mm rotor on the rear for xc riding anyways?

    DId you buy it from an authorized Yeti dealer? I think Yeti's warranty might also say it's void if bike is not built by an authorized dealer. Not sure on that though. Could it have sustained some shipping damage that went un-noticed?

    While it may sound like a lame excuse, if Yeti states max rotor size 185mm then it is what it is. Your dealer should have told you no go on the 203mm, or did you just buy the frame. ASR is an XC/trail bike not a DH bike. Many forks also have stated max rotor sizes.

    I had a car at one time that I installed an aftermarket air intake on. After installing it I found out that it would void the engine warranty. Guess what I did- I removed it.

    I bought the frame at Backcountrystore / House of Goods , 100% new. Sent it down to Chile by hand with my brother in law who is US - resident. It arrived without a scratch packed from the factory.

    There was no catalogue nor assembly instructions , just in the Yeti webpage , in the FAQ part , there is this issue the max rotor is 185 mm. I downloaded the ASR5 user manual in PDF an nowhere they tell you this max size rotor issue ....

    This bike is used in Enduro and Trail , almost no jumps , and it lasted a mere 3 months with a 140-150 lb rider. This bike is marketed as a trail and enduro bike , it has 5" of rear suspension travel and a geometry that backs up this , a XC bike doesn't have a 5" susp. travel no this geometry and angles. This is no XC bike.

    Yeti (Matt of Warranty Dept. @ Yeti Cycles) was basing all its evation arguments by pointing out the issue of the larger rotor, and they knew this carbon swingarm had issues but they wiped their a$$ , didn't assume any responsibility. Is that simple as to google for "cracked ASR5" to see many other cases, those were not using 203 mm rotors . Its impossible that after 3 months of weekend use, a bike this quailty cracks because you are using a 8 mm bigger rotor.
  • 09-11-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Interested to see pictures of actual repaired area. I have a 575 all carbon rear that is cracked.

    Hi , I will upload them , the guy that repairs carbon structures here is FAA (Federal Aviation Agency) certified and has repaired it solidly (he repairs carbon structural parts of aircraft , helicopters, exotics, etc.) . The local Yeti dealer sold me also another swingarm (used) form a Yeti ASR5c (imagine why he had another swingarm lying on the floor ... it cracked somewhere too), and now I have 2 units , just in case...
  • 09-11-2013
    eatdrinkride
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    Hi , I will upload them , the guy that repairs carbon structures here is FAA (Federal Aviation Agency) certified and has repaired it solidly (he repairs carbon structural parts of aircraft , helicopters, exotics, etc.) . The local Yeti dealer sold me also another swingarm (used) form a Yeti ASR5c (imagine why he had another swingarm lying on the floor ... it cracked somewhere too), and now I have 2 units , just in case...

    Why would a shop keep a broken swingarm and sell it? Why would anyone buy it? What about the inherent liability of a bike shop knowingly selling a defective bike frame to customer? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Or is the crack just speculation on your part?

    Anyway be careful with the CF fix. I know nothing about CF or aviation but I can venture a guess that the aerodynamic stresses that are put upon a CF wing are far different from the stresses put on a bike frame when laying it down into a rock. Good luck!
  • 09-11-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Why would a shop keep a broken swingarm and sell it? Why would anyone buy it? What about the inherent liability of a bike shop knowingly selling a defective bike frame to customer? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Or is the crack just speculation on your part?

    Anyway be careful with the CF fix. I know nothing about CF or aviation but I can venture a guess that the aerodynamic stresses that are put upon a CF wing are far different from the stresses put on a bike frame when laying it down into a rock. Good luck!

    Please don't misundestand this, the frame was ok, and new, there was no crack , but apparently there were some quality issues of these rear carbon swingarms of ASR5 and ASR5c ... I saw this frame and it arrived perfecly , but for some reason the carbon fibre cracked (not cracked apart) but the outer layer of the carbon construction ripped , but for some reason I guess it is a quality issue of the manufacture of those carbon parts for YETI. In the forst Email Matt of YETI admitted this was a Warrant issue (textually "this is a warranty issue, this is why we have warranties") , but when he heard the issue of the rear rotor he forgot all his sayings.... and idled around that argument to void the warranty. Nice man .

    The Carbon fibre multilayer structure repair is made via perforating the crack and filling it with carbon layers from the inside to the outside. This guys works also for Kiwi shipyards designing carbon fibre hulls and for aviation companies fixing certina structural parts that must be performed by an FAA certified tecnician using certified materials. And be sure that a helicopter rotor has way more mechanical stresses like torque , flez, Gforces, combination of all those mentioned , than a bike with a rider on top.
  • 09-11-2013
    dragbike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    This bike is used in Enduro and Trail , almost no jumps , and it lasted a mere 3 months with a 140-150 lb rider. This bike is marketed as a trail and enduro bike , it has 5" of rear suspension travel and a geometry that backs up this , a XC bike doesn't have a 5" susp. travel no this geometry and angles. This is no XC bike

    Not saying that you didn't have a defective or suspect swing arm, but I would hardly call it a design flaw. Again, I weigh 225 pounds and I am guessing I ride my ASR5 much harder than your son did. 3 - 4 foot drops and jumps - no problems, high speed turns- no problems. Jamming on the brakes at full speed- no problems. if it was a design flaw mine would have cracked a LONG time ago.

    I guess just make sure Yeti knows you are not happy and tell them you will never buy another Yeti product. See if that helps.
  • 09-11-2013
    jpvm
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 831263
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    Not saying that you didn't have a defective or suspect swing arm, but I would hardly call it a design flaw. Again, I weigh 225 pounds and I am guessing I ride my ASR5 much harder than your son did. 3 - 4 foot drops and jumps - no problems, high speed turns- no problems. Jamming on the brakes at full speed- no problems. if it was a design flaw mine would have cracked a LONG time ago.

    I guess just make sure Yeti knows you are not happy and tell them you will never buy another Yeti product. See if that helps.

    Thanks a lot man, I told them that , and Matt told me "its always sad to see a Tribe member depart" ... ahahahahha , he doesn't care .... I have an ASR7 and recently bougt also a Yeti dudley DH jersey .. .ahahaha
  • 09-11-2013
    Ridnparadise
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    Attachment 831263

    Thanks a lot man, I told them that , and Matt told me "its always sad to see a Tribe member depart" ... ahahahahha , he doesn't care .... I have an ASR7 and recently bougt also a Yeti dudley DH jersey .. .ahahaha

    Please explain to me how the larger rotor is an issue. If a smaller rotor stops the wheel over the same distance, is that not exerting the same force at the swingarm? The difference in force is at the lever and on the finger squeezing it, surely?
  • 09-11-2013
    eatdrinkride
    Re: ASR5 cracked rear swingarm , after 3 months of use
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Please explain to me how the larger rotor is an issue. If a smaller rotor stops the wheel over the same distance, is that not exerting the same force at the swingarm? The difference in force is at the level and on the finger squeezing it, surely?

    The distance from the edge of the rotor to the axle, or more correctly the swing arm, is a essentially a lever arm. The longer the lever arm the more leverage that is a exerted at that point. That is the reason rotors come in different sizes (that and heat dissipation I suppose), to produce more leverage at any given force applied. Imagine trying to remove a stuck bolt. The longer the handle you have on the tool(away from the axis, like in the use of a ratchet) the easier it is to remove. Pretty much the same thing and the same reasons breaker bars are two or 3 feet long and not 6 inches long.

    Most, if not all front forks also come with a designated maximum rotor size. For the same reason.

    The question that will probably come next in your mind is why don't we have the same problems with rim brakes, which are essentially 20-something inches away from the axle? But if you look at the distance from the pad contact point on the rim to the connection point on the seat stay, vs the distance of 203mm rotor to its final connection point on the stay...you will find the answer.
  • 09-12-2013
    Ridnparadise
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    The distance from the edge of the rotor to the axle, or more correctly the swing arm, is a essentially a lever arm. The longer the lever arm the more leverage that is a exerted at that point. That is the reason rotors come in different sizes (that and heat dissipation I suppose), to produce more leverage at any given force applied. Imagine trying to remove a stuck bolt. The longer the handle you have on the tool(away from the axis, like in the use of a ratchet) the easier it is to remove. Pretty much the same thing and the same reasons breaker bars are two or 3 feet long and not 6 inches long.

    Most, if not all front forks also come with a designated maximum rotor size. For the same reason.

    The question that will probably come next in your mind is why don't we have the same problems with rim brakes, which are essentially 20-something inches away from the axle? But if you look at the distance from the pad contact point on the rim to the connection point on the seat stay, vs the distance of 203mm rotor to its final connection point on the stay...you will find the answer.

    Thank you for an excellent answer, however I think it is wrong, but right as well:idea:

    If what you say is correct, it implies some sort of differential between the wheel rim and the rotor. The rear rotor exerts its force on the wheel, because it is bolted to it, rather than on the frame. In practical terms, there is no difference what size rotor, because if it stops the wheel in the same distance, then the same force is exerted through the system. I had to go and look at the brake mount to see how a larger rotor makes a difference.

    The mount needs added spacers because the rotor to pad contact point moves farther from the swingarm. That is where the leverage is generated and concentrated on one side of the swingarm. So it's not the size of the rotor, but the need for a taller mount that is the problem.

    I suspect on the fork, torsion through the crown which would be magnified over distance from the brake mount may be the issue. Anyway, your answer made me think and I'm guessing I'll be reading more soon.....

    I guess I have another question about whether a frame should have tolerances so tight that a larger rotor can break it - maybe it is about how forces are concentrated through asymmetric swingarms.

    It should be made clear to any purchaser though
  • 09-12-2013
    bear
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    I live in Chile, Southamerica , today I got the swingarm repaired by a guy that is specialized in carbon fibre repair.

    nice, very nice.

    I live in north-eastern Pennsylvania, USA, and it feels like the only people here that know what carbon fiber is are the cyclists.
  • 09-12-2013
    Paris Galanis
    I went through the whole topic and I think that Yeti should have warranted the frame but I don't understand why you preferred to fix it rather than replace it with a new one? Just to save 180$? Personally if this was my bike and even more if it was my son's I wouldn't put him at risk by riding a repaired frame even if it was repaired by god.

    So having see many similar cases my advise is to keep your original parts (forks, shocks etc) and if something happens first put them back and then ask to activate the warranty.
  • 09-12-2013
    mnigro
    I agree with Paris. I understand Yetis stance with regard to the rear brake rotor being too big but there have been many failures in this exact same location and its quite probable the OP just got a bad one. If breakages were a more isolated incident I would side with Yeti 100%.

    To the posters claiming that their rear tri has held up so they ALL should be OK, that is a ridiculous statement. Using that logic, owners who have had cracked rear triangles could say the opposite, that all the rear ends are defective and they all will eventually break.

    Just because you got a good one doesn't negate the fact that other owners received bad ones. No one is saying that ALL the rear tri's are bad but you cannot argue that there are some bad ones that have gone out the door.

    As for people making claims that the warranty may only apply to bikes built by authorized Yeti dealers, how can you apply that logic when frames were being sold by online retailers as FRAME only. Competitive cyclist seems to be an authorized Yeti dealer, and if this is true, they should state any such conditions regarding the warranty on the item description page. If this was an omission by Competitive Cyclist, Yeti needs to bring up that issue with the Authorized Retailer, not the end consumer.

    Just stating my opinion. Proud and happy ASR5 owner.
  • 09-13-2013
    mtb_tico
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    I went through the whole topic and I think that Yeti should have warranted the frame but I don't understand why you preferred to fix it rather than replace it with a new one? Just to save 180$? Personally if this was my bike and even more if it was my son's I wouldn't put him at risk by riding a repaired frame even if it was repaired by god.

    I recently had to replace the rear swingarm on my 2010 ASR5 C and it cost me just over $500CAN (inclds taxes, shipping but not installation). No I didn't get crash replacement warranty. Just wanted to say they aren't cheap to replace (particularly out of the USA) - unless I totally got ripped off.
  • 10-01-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    I went through the whole topic and I think that Yeti should have warranted the frame but I don't understand why you preferred to fix it rather than replace it with a new one? Just to save 180$? Personally if this was my bike and even more if it was my son's I wouldn't put him at risk by riding a repaired frame even if it was repaired by god.

    So having see many similar cases my advise is to keep your original parts (forks, shocks etc) and if something happens first put them back and then ask to activate the warranty.


    Simply my friend, YETI did not cover me with warranty, and a new rear triangle would cost me in the USA around US$ 450 , plus sending it down to Chile some other US$ 500 if not more, plus import taxes ,etc .... so spending US$ 1.000+ plus hand labor cost to reasssemble the bike , you think its reasonable for a brand that holds its argument of voiding your warranty for using a 15 mm larger rear brake rotor for 2 months ?? .... YETI knows this is a weak desing, and they should simply have covered me, niot letting me spend thousand bucks for this bike that lasted less than a fart in a box...
  • 10-01-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mnigro View Post

    As for people making claims that the warranty may only apply to bikes built by authorized Yeti dealers, how can you apply that logic when frames were being sold by online retailers as FRAME only. Competitive cyclist seems to be an authorized Yeti dealer, and if this is true, they should state any such conditions regarding the warranty on the item description page. If this was an omission by Competitive Cyclist, Yeti needs to bring up that issue with the Authorized Retailer, not the end consumer.

    Just stating my opinion. Proud and happy ASR5 owner.

    Very good point , I bought this ASR-5 as a frame only , at an authorized dealer (Dept. of Goods / CC) and nowhere I received instructions of what were the liminting points of the components , in fact there were no instructions at all for this ASR-5 frame , only warranty papers and general sales papers. So my surprise was even bigger when I saw that this issue of the maximum size rear rotor was 185 mm was not in the owner's manual (I downloaded it from the web where nothing about this issue appears , since my frame didn't bring it) , but only in the FAQ of Yeti's website ... ???? Weeell , so to my eyes this was just a cheap excuse from YETI to avoid its responsiblity, sad to say.
  • 10-01-2013
    DLd
    Re: ASR5 cracked rear swingarm , after 3 months of use
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    Very good point , I bought this ASR-5 as a frame only , at an authorized dealer (Dept. of Goods / CC) and nowhere I received instructions of what were the liminting points of the components , in fact there were no instructions at all for this ASR-5 frame , only warranty papers and general sales papers. So my surprise was even bigger when I saw that this issue of the maximum size rear rotor was 185 mm was not in the owner's manual (I downloaded it from the web where nothing about this issue appears , since my frame didn't bring it) , but only in the FAQ of Yeti's website ... ???? Weeell , so to my eyes this was just a cheap excuse from YETI to avoid its responsiblity, sad to say.

    Why would you put a 200mm rear rotor on the back of anything besides a downhill bike? Something like a 5 shouldn't need anymore than a 180 in front and a 160 in the rear. Most front forks for this bike probably call for a 180 max rotor. It exerts a good deal more force on the frame. More than you can exert by pedaling.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
  • 10-02-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Why would you put a 200mm rear rotor on the back of anything besides a downhill bike? Something like a 5 shouldn't need anymore than a 180 in front and a 160 in the rear. Most front forks for this bike probably call for a 180 max rotor. It exerts a good deal more force on the frame. More than you can exert by pedaling.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

    point taken, this was answered 2 or 3 times in page 1 ;)
  • 10-02-2013
    spunkmtb
    I have been on a 2010 Yeti 575 with carbon swing arm. I am 6'2 220-230lbs geared. I ride fast and hard. Never needed more than a 180 rotor in the rear bathe rear triangle has never failed me. I do use a 203 up front on my 36 fork. I feel bad for your situation but when I build a frame I make sure that it is designed for the parts I use. My only negligence is exceeding the max rider weight for some frames. My first 575 was rayed for something like 230lbs and I weighed 150. That frame held up great. Again. Sorry for your loss. It would have been nice if Yeti worked with you somewhat on the frame. But really you should have done some research. A 203mm rotor is downhill sized equipment on a 5" travel bike. If you had slapped a dual crown fork on the frame would you have been upset when the head tube cracked?
  • 10-02-2013
    DLd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    point taken, this was answered 2 or 3 times in page 1 ;)

    There were some people who still didn't get it on page 2...
  • 10-02-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    There were some people who still didn't get it on page 2...

    Call it a 14 year old kid's error , is this sufficient ??
    (but a design of a bike cannot be that weak that if you use it for 3 months , lightly by a kid on weekends , with a 15 mm larger (than Yeti's 185 mm limit) rear rotor, it breaks ... that's the point. Not that it was a 203 mm or 185 mm rotor, etc.
  • 10-02-2013
    jpvm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    I have been on a 2010 Yeti 575 with carbon swing arm. I am 6'2 220-230lbs geared. I ride fast and hard. Never needed more than a 180 rotor in the rear bathe rear triangle has never failed me. I do use a 203 up front on my 36 fork. I feel bad for your situation but when I build a frame I make sure that it is designed for the parts I use. My only negligence is exceeding the max rider weight for some frames. My first 575 was rayed for something like 230lbs and I weighed 150. That frame held up great. Again. Sorry for your loss. It would have been nice if Yeti worked with you somewhat on the frame. But really you should have done some research. A 203mm rotor is downhill sized equipment on a 5" travel bike. If you had slapped a dual crown fork on the frame would you have been upset when the head tube cracked?

    Thanks dude .... the answer on the rotor size used is on the prior message ... clearly a double crown fork is something very massive compared with a 15 mm oversized rear rotor (remember braking foces in a bike are mainly done on the front rotor , even so , this very light rear swingarm breaks ... ). I bet the frame could handle a double crown fork since the aluminum tapered head tube looks waaay more masisve compared to the extreme light and delicate rear swingarm ...

    After parting out the rear swingarm of the ASR5 and seeing how light and weak it feels , it weighs like 1 lbs (the caliper suport cracks the protective outer sheet alone) , I really don't think an ASR5 bike would be a trustable bike for All Mountain and even less, Enduro styles ; at most it should be catalogued as a XC bike, but then again , why you need 5" of rear suspension travel for a bike thats not durable enough or if its a disguised XC bike .... ??????
  • 11-24-2013
    jpvm
    1 Attachment(s)
    The ASR-5 still in 1 piece ... with 180 mm rotors (YETI says , well if you can find this in their Web's FAQ ... 185 mm maximum...)

  • 11-25-2013
    DLd
    Good to hear. That looks like Papago Park in Phoenix, but greener.
  • 12-16-2013
    MattyMatMat
    I purchased a second hand ASR 5 and I was thinking of going 180 in the front and 160 in the back. Couldn't agree more when you say 180/160 max. 180 is almost overkill for an xc bike, but it's handy just to have that tiny bit extra stopping power in the front incase it's needed.
  • 03-28-2014
    jpvm
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ok update on the ASR 5 . I had to buy a rear carbon swingarm from the local Yeti rep, since , as you read my post here, the bike broke its swingarm after 3 months of use by a teenager , Yeti did not cover us with warranty , claiming the rear brake rotor was too big, I have never seen a bike braking the entire section of the swingarm due to a too large sized rotor .... . The carbon swingarm I bought as replacement part from the local Yeti rep. broke yesterday too (support of bake caliper), after some 4 months of use (the first one broke after 3 months). This time we used a rear 180 mm rotor following Yeti FAQ where they state the rear brake rotor as 180 mm.

    This ASR5 bike is weak (weak design of this carbon part) , so it YETI's warranty coverage, they are experts in not covering their customers due to details, they focus on details and not in trying to keep their customer's loyalty. I have seen various cases of seized carbon Yeti bikes in this forum , so we are really not guilty as they might us appear , hell we bought a bike from a leader builder and these are not 7 Eleven chep bikes. Bikes way cheaper can handle enduro and trail use way better than this ASR5 bike, we have for example a new Kona and that one outruns the Yeti in every aspect except a couple of pounds of weight. I made the error to buy this ASR5 , thinking it would last and would live its fame .... not more Yeti for us too.