And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

ASR vs Racer X, convince me!

OK, so I posted the opposite question on the titus board, and now I've come here for some balance. I want to get my first FS bike for next season. I am a 35 yo. expert xc racer at 5'7 and @ 153#. I ride a hardtail (71/74degrees with an 80 mil fork). Based on geometry and weight, as well as design, I'm down to these two frames. I was really into the asr, until the rcer x came down to a competitive weight, while remaining $500. cheaper. So why should I spend the extra money for the ASR? convince me! BTW, I ride in the northeast(ny) so even the race courses here are techie enough for an FS to be an advantage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I left you a message there since I saw the mention of a Yeti. Anyway, you can't go wrong with either one. It really is a matter of fit. I think the Yeti is more comfy while not giving up any acceleration but the Racer is aslo amazing as a Racer.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I was thinking about how everyone will check to see what the others are saying. I don't want to start a flame war about it! I think i've been in f88 too long

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That (F88) is one crazy forum with the biggest loonies- some of them are beyond help. You could post a message in the XC Racing forum. There are some people there with a lot of racing experience. Some of them may have raced both bikes and not just used them as trailbikes.

mtbr member

not again...

in the end, it's all about color. go with the bike that matches the color of your eyes...
    OR
    try to find a bike shop and ride both... make sure that the shop knows how to set up the bike to your weight and riding style before taking it out for a test ride... then, break out the wallet and be in debt for a while...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by guava
    OK, so I posted the opposite question on the titus board, and now I've come here for some balance. I want to get my first FS bike for next season. I am a 35 yo. expert xc racer at 5'7 and @ 153#. I ride a hardtail (71/74degrees with an 80 mil fork). Based on geometry and weight, as well as design, I'm down to these two frames. I was really into the asr, until the rcer x came down to a competitive weight, while remaining $500. cheaper. So why should I spend the extra money for the ASR? convince me! BTW, I ride in the northeast(ny) so even the race courses here are techie enough for an FS to be an advantage.
    Extra money on the ASR??? I think not...
    Call Will at fullcycles.com and I think he will be able to beat the X out of that racer.... Even go-ride.com offers $550 credit on the race disk build. I know Will can beat that as well.

As far as both bikes, they are both very well liked by owners. It will come down to fit and price I would imagine.

mtbr member

Had both...

Quote Originally Posted by guava
    and raced both.....
    You can't go wrong with either, but I'm assuming that you tend to keep bikes around for a while. The titus warranty is a bit better than a standard warranty(2 years) for the aluminum frame, but the yeti comes with a great warranty(5 years).

I think an extra 3 years of a warranty is definitely worth an extra 500 bones, but thats if you buy it at full price. They will come down at the end of the season. They are manufacturing a ton of bikes now.

mtbr member
    I rode both before I bought this year and ended up with an AS-R SL. It fit me better, that and I do feel a bit of loyalty to Yeti since it was replacing an ARC and they are located 2 miles from my house. But, that said, I think the Yeti suspension suited my tastes better. The R-X was more active when climbing and, since I was coming from a hardtail, the AS-R felt really sick right off the bat, really firm and tight when climbing. You don't notice any bob at all. Like others said, you can't go wrong, but I LOOOOOVE my Yeti and I'm having my best season of racing ever on it. As to the money -- think about it -- when you spending $4K-$5K anyway, an exta $500 aint much. Get what you want.

Mythical Creature

Same Boat

Last winter I was in the same boat. Test rode both, liked both. Went and bought a Yeti for a few reasons - despite being able to get a pro-deal on the Racer-X from my LBS who sponsors our racing team...

Geometry/fit was spot-on with the Yeti ASR-SL. Really liked the application of Carbon at the rear swingarm - makes for a hella stiff, snappy rear end. The two similar aluminum / carbon frames still have the Yeti being lighter too. Standover on the ASR's is amazing too.

As others have said - it'll come do fit, colors, etc - but the two are very similar race bred FS frames. The ASR-SL with a Fox F100RLT has near ideal geometry for XC racing. Done STXC, 24 hour solos, XC, and bomber epic runs on her - and I tell ya what - she feel sgreat all-around. And weighs about 23.6 pounds on race day!

Of course, as soon as I ordered one at the LBS, I got a letter from Yeti.... one thing led to another and a race-ready Ti bolt kit sub 5.2 pound frame / bike arrived some weeks after the OTHER one. Life's rough!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Geometry/fit was spot-on with the Yeti ASR-SL. Really liked the application of Carbon at the rear swingarm - makes for a hella stiff, snappy rear end. The two similar aluminum / carbon frames still have the Yeti being lighter too. Standover on the ASR's is amazing too.

!
    As for weight, Neither is significantly heavier than the other. Yeti and RX comes in at around 5.0 lbs, small size. Yeti claims 4.9 for small, but it came in at 5.0 at LBS. Maybe if you take it past the second decimal...... What the hell, this is weight weenie talk.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi