mtbr member
    Mar 2006

ASR-SL - What size?

Hi all - I'm just about to splash out on a new ASR-SL frame but still uncertain on the size. A few vital statistics

173cm male
    Current bike: NRS size M (18.5inch)
    Riding: Cross country race/enduro

According to the size chart I'm in between a Small and Medium in the ASR-SL. Comparing the ASR Small with my current bike, the ASR wheelbase is exaclty the same and the head-tube slightly shorter (2cm). The medium ASR has a wheelbase which is 2.6cm longer than my NRS but the headtube length is the same.

I already feel as though he NRS is slightly too long in the wheelbase for me but the riding postion feels fine. My guess is that the wheelbase of the medium ASR would be too much and since the wheelbase can't be changed (unlike the apparent headtube length which can be helped with stem and post settings) it would be best to go with the small. BUT - I gave a medium ASR the 'parking lot test' at my local dealer and those frames feel so compact with the low standover height that I'm concerned the small would feel too small despite the dimensions. Anyway - I'm interested to hear from any ASR-SL owners who may be a similar height and which size you've gone with, reasons why and general experiences with handling.....
    cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hi

I am roughly the same height as you and went for a medium totally fits well. Had the bike 2 years now and it totally rocks for xc and marathon racing.

Stay fast

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go with the bigger size. I do think it will fit you better. I was between a Medium and Large- chose the Medium and always knew I should have got the Large

The ride is great. It's fast, nimble, and has a low center of gravity. It's also plush enough to be comfortable for really long rides. Of course, it's very light too but doesn't feel fragile at all.