mtbr member
    Mar 2005

ASR Sizing question

I am 6' with probably longer legs than typical, 34" pants inseam. Seems like i fit in between a med and large size in the ASR.

Anybody my size ride the ASR and if so what size and reason for riding that size would be appreciated.

The large is probably a safer bet, but a little longer top tube than i like.

No dealers in my area with the bike.

thanks.
    Last edited by mtbdcd; 11-13-2006 at 04:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm the exact same size with the exact same inseam. I ride the large with a 110mm stem and it is perfect. Don't get the medium, TT was too short, unless you have tiny, T-Rex arms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    I'm the exact same size with the exact same inseam. I ride the large with a 110mm stem and it is perfect. Don't get the medium, TT was too short, unless you have tiny, T-Rex arms.
    I don't, thanks.
    I thought large too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Curious ReporterKyle - what is your arm span? I looked at some of the sizing responses on the 575 and they mention 6' 2" wing spans. Mine is closer to 69". However, do not believe i have exceptionally short arms. 33-34" shirt sleeve.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    You may be my doppleganger. Seriously, I'm about the same size. 180, size 34 waist? I may wear a 35 inch shirt sleeve, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Anyway, you really can't compare the fit on the 575 to the AS-R. They are two different bike with very different geometry. The AS-R is a race bike with a traditional (IMHO perfect) XC race TT. You'll be a more stretched out on the ASR and more upright on the 575. I've got a non-layback Thomason seatpost and a 110mm stem and I find it ideal, but I like a racy fit. Even if you're arms are a little shorter, a 100mm stem isn't going to throw off the fit. If you can, you should get out and ride one to see if the TT is too long for what you like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had to look up doppelganger in the dictionary. But pretty close. Same waist, but you have a little weight on me.
    My fuel has a longer TT than the Large ASR, but my Kona King Supreme is a little shorter. Whereas the med. is much shorter. So i know the large TT will work. But never hurts to reevaluate things.
    Reason i was even considering it was that my Kona holds in corners much better than my fuel. On payment the Kona's front end feels slow and sluggish, the Fuel lively. But you put them on the trail, Kona feels solid and secure, Fuel feels sketchy. I contributed that to the shorter tt on the Kona. But could be other reasons.

You seem to like your ASR. It is a great looking bike, design looks really good. I like how they stiffen the frame with the shock support. Any comparison with other XC FS race bikes?

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the Fuel or the Kona, specifically, but I LOVE the ASR. Best bike I've ever owned, hands down. I came off a HT -- actually a Yeti ARC -- when I went to the ASR, and I was just floored at the way it climbed and responded on singletrack. When set up properly, there is no, none, zero bob while climbing. Yet the bike still has good small bump compliance to eat up trail chop. It is very snappy, yet stable. It also is very predictable. The travel, thankfully, is quite noticeable on the descent. Best race bike made, IMHO. I've ridden quite a few other bikes -- Specialized, Santa Cruz, Scott, Ellsworth, etc. -- and currently have the chance to buy a really sick bike from a small, custom builder due to sponsorship deals. I'll be staying on the Yeti.

The Epic is a really nice bike, but I find the frame too heavy (not the new carbon one mind you). The Yeti is lighter with many of the same benefits. The Blur XC I just didn't like. The suspension felt sloppy and I noticed flex in the rear triangle. I notice no unwanted flex in the Yeti. The Ellsworth Truth rides great, but I just liked the fit and feel of the Yeti better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the info Kyle. Sounds like it has just what i like in a bike.
    When i get it, will let you know my impression. That is, after "new bike" wears off.