Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: ASR-C or ASR-5C

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    34

    ASR-C or ASR-5C

    I am really on the fence about these two bikes...my primary concern is lateral stiffness between the two bikes. Both bikes have enough travel for my needs. They both would be built with a 120mm fork.

    Do they share a swing arm? Is the ASR C as stiff as the ASR-5C?

    Compound my on-the-fenceness about these two bikes with the 2011 575 and now I am really torn...I understand they ride different...this is my first full suspension bike in 20 years of mountain biking...I don't mind a couple of extra pounds for the stiffness of the 575...maybe that is my answer...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bpnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
    I am really on the fence about these two bikes...my primary concern is lateral stiffness between the two bikes. Both bikes have enough travel for my needs. They both would be built with a 120mm fork.

    Do they share a swing arm? Is the ASR C as stiff as the ASR-5C?

    Compound my on-the-fenceness about these two bikes with the 2011 575 and now I am really torn...I understand they ride different...this is my first full suspension bike in 20 years of mountain biking...I don't mind a couple of extra pounds for the stiffness of the 575...maybe that is my answer...
    Skip the racy Asr and the 575's super plushness for the smack-dab in the middleness of the Asr5c. Seems like it was made for you with comfy geometry and plenty of the lateral stiffness you're looking for.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shaighway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    51
    if you can, get out and ride them. ASR5C will probably triumph.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    34
    thanks guys...

  5. #5
    Mai
    Mai is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    518
    Talk to Jason at Reser's in Newport. He should have both bikes to test ride

    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    459
    The ASR5C is the best of both. It climbs rocket fast like the ASR C and flys down the trail like the 575.
    Pedal Dammit!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtncampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    269
    Yeah I've ridden both quite a bit. Unless you're aiming primarily for XC races, the ASR5-C is probably the ticket. It still climbs amazing, but the extra travel is really beneficial if it's primarily a trail bike. You can also build it up insanely light, and it's about as versatile as it gets.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bpnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
    thanks guys...
    ....don't forget to post your Asr5 pictures!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtncampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    ....don't forget to post your Asr5 pictures!
    Amasa Back Ride on Vimeo

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BobGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncampbell View Post
    Ahhhhhmasa, just booked my spring trip for this year.


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    34
    I went a completely different direction...thank you for the advice even though I didn't take it. I could not pass the deal up on this bike.

    2011 575 with full XTR. Will post pics in the build thread when the I9's arrive...






  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 4Butter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
    I went a completely different direction...thank you for the advice even though I didn't take it. I could not pass the deal up on this bike.

    2011 575 with full XTR. Will post pics in the build thread when the I9's arrive...





    If you don't mind sharing what deal did you get on the 575?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    If you don't mind sharing what deal did you get on the 575?
    Huckandroll.com - $4024 for the Pro XTR build. free shipping. Bike arrived 2 days after I bought it. Set-up was very detailed. I am pleased.

  14. #14
    Mai
    Mai is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    518
    Nice 575! I have a 09 with full XTR and I9s. You will love it! Take it to Devou when it drys out

    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mai View Post
    Nice 575! I have a 09 with full XTR and I9s. You will love it! Take it to Devou when it drys out
    No kidding. The S turn going counter clockwise will be incredible.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    33
    I also have the 2011 575. It is a fantastic bike you will not regret your purchase

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bpnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
    Huckandroll.com - $4024 for the Pro XTR build. free shipping. Bike arrived 2 days after I bought it. Set-up was very detailed. I am pleased.
    Nice bike CK.
    What size is it and what does it weigh as pictured?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

  18. #18
    Mai
    Mai is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
    No kidding. The S turn going counter clockwise will be incredible.

    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,417
    I have a ASR-C and a 575. I'm very happy with both, but
    the ASR gets a little hard on my old bones after a couple
    of hours riding. The 575 is a all day bike. I must say that
    I've never tried a ASR5, but if I could only have one bike
    it would be high on my list. Oh and I would run a 120 fork
    on it.

    Best, John

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Nice bike CK.
    What size is it and what does it weigh as pictured?

    A little heavier than I thought at 28.5# with tubes and my heavy old Time pedals. I will weigh again after the I9's and tubeless conversion and swap to my trusty Flight seat.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    34
    After changing to the I9's it lost a pound. I posted a couple pics on the build thread.

    The new & improved 575 build thread

    oh yeah...it is a large.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •