Member of The Yeti Tribe

ASR-7 vs SB-66: Any comparisons?

Hey guys..

I am sure you all kinda know how I ride my 7 and have probably seen my stupid ASR-7 video I have made.

Anyways I had my Cross bike stolen recently and I am thinking about getting a SB-66 with the insurance money instead of a new Cross bike..

I love my 7 and will probably keep the frame around ( Its not worth selling to me since CC blew them out for $800 anyways) But I just wanted to know if the 66 is really that much better of a better pedaling bike then the 7? I loved the big hit ability of the 7 but I want more of a super d and trail bike.

I will be taking the 2x10 XT build kit from my 7 and putting it on a Alum SB-66 frame along with my Lyric solo air (Originally a two step). Another thing is the 7 and the 66 have the same size shock so I will probably be getting something like a Vivid Air to put on the frame(s).. As I was never happy with the RP23 on my 7..

So any 7 to SB66 converts?

The OMEN
    The SB is a way better riding bike. Screams up and is no slouch on the DH either. Hence the reason the 7 is going BYE BYE. The Rp 23 does a very good job on the SB. Agreed that it was terrible on the 7.

Ya done did good son.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Good to hear. I will have some extra money after getting the 66 frame and I think I want to put that money towards a shock. I know the Rp23 does better on the 66 but I still think a new shock would be worth my money. But I am glad to hear that there is a big step up in performance.
    Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    I run this on my 7...transformed it:

Push Industries - 2012 RockShox Monarch PLUS RC3

Although, since the SB-66 pedals so well (I have about 20 miles on one), I'd check this out:

Push Industries - 2012 RockShox Monarch RT/RT-AM
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    I run this on my 7...transformed it:

Push Industries - 2012 RockShox Monarch PLUS RC3

Although, since the SB-66 pedals so well (I have about 20 miles on one), I'd check this out:

Push Industries - 2012 RockShox Monarch RT/RT-AM
    I was really close to getting the vivid air for my 7 but never could put the 400 together when I wanted to order it. I have no doubt that it would have made a big difference in how the 7 rides.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    I've been running a Monarch Plus on my SB66 for a few months. I like it a lot. I've been very happy with the stock Low tune. Monarch Plus RC3 Low Tune
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    I've been running a Monarch Plus on my SB66 for a few months. I like it a lot. I've been very happy with the stock Low tune. Monarch Plus RC3 Low Tune
    Bumping this a bit. Do you recon a Vivid Air will benefit from the same (low) tune on the SB for a normal to light rider (70kg)? I see from the chart from Rock Shox that the leverage of the SB-66 is just in between low and mid tune...