mtbr member
    May 2008

ASR 7 upgrade over ASX

Ok, for those of you that have spent time on both frames, I have a question for you.

Currently have ASX built up for trail with 36 fox talas fork, yada, yada, weighs in at 33.6 lbs. I could pick up a medium ASR from Competitive Cyclist, which is within spitting distance of the large ASX in terms of geometry when run in 7.1 inch mode, and going from a 70-80 mm stem takes care of the top tube difference. I have a 10mm Hadley thru-axle on the ASX so rear end flexibility has been addressed as much as I can (comparing to ASX 12mm axle).

I like the way the ASX rides. While my body dimensions according to Yeti would put me on a large/extra large ASR&, I have a relatively short torso and I like the relatively shorter top tube of the ASX (24 inch), so the medium 7 is attractive.

Both bikes have way more downhill capability than my sorry skills can take advantage of, but the 7 is reputed to pedal better than the ASX, but exactly how well the 7 pedals seems to be a widely varying point of view.

So my question to those of you who have spent time on both bikes, will I be gaining a significantly better ride, in your opinion, for trail riding or is it an expensive way to get more options for a drip seatpost beyond the 27.2 diameter posts that fit the AS-X. Many thanks for your thoughts!

jddist
    May 2008
    I had an ASX for a couple of years as my bigger bike and have been on a 7 for a year now. My opinion is that these are very different bikes, despite the numbers. The ASX is a tank that can take anything. It will break you before you break it. A true freeride monster. The 7 is more of a long travel trail bike. There is not comparison in the pedal capability of the two. The 7 kills the ASX, period. It really does pedal as good as the 575. The 7 is my one bike that does it all, up to the point that I bring out my DH rig for the shuttle/resort days. I would not ride my ASX when any pedaling was required. The High forward single pivot of the ASX gave it a lot of pedal kickback which made it a real pig pedaling up tech stuff. If you are a heavy guy, +210, then the 7 may not work out so well, or will at least require a coil shock. If you are dirt jumping, doing 10ft drops to flat, and basically killing it then the ASX is you best choice. If you are riding all mountain and want more downhill capability and still enjoy the pedaling the the 7 is great. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, that is helpful. When you switched to the 7 did you stick with about the same top tube length? I could ride a medium with an 80-90 mm stem and be in the same relative position as my ASX, which is comfy and only a cm shorter reach than my road bikes. Of course I could get to the same place with a L and 60-70 mm stem. Thoughts re 80-90 mm stem - too long for the ASR for trail riding?

jddist
    May 2008
    My ASX was a Large and was a bit big for me for that type of bike. The 7 is a med and feels perfect. I am just under 5.11 and 195lbs.