mtbr member

ASR-7 too big or just right?

Hey y'all, I'm finally converting over to the dark side, but I need some sizing help for those of you who are ASR-7 riders. I've got a asr7 lined up to buy already but I've been reading so many threads about Yeti's sizing and it's got me nervous now. I've always been a large frame guy (enduros, reigns, etc) but should I be buying a medium instead? I'm 5' 11" and 215lbs all geared up. Thoughts for the Yeti rookie?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm 6'1" and I was never comfortable with my Large ASR7. I wished that I had gone with the medium, the large was just too tall and tank like to me. I ride a medium ASR5 C which is on the small side for my height, but I feel way more comfortable on it. I replaced the 7 with a large Canfield One which has more standard sizing.

mtbr member
    adjectives only have meaning to the person saying them, numbers mean the same thing to everyone. You need to compare the geometry of what you're riding now to the 7 and draw your own conclusions; asking the internet for sizing advice with only your height and weight will never get you the right size.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    asking the internet for sizing advice with only your height and weight will never get you the right size.
    and all that being said, the 7 feels 'big' to me. I'm 5'8'' and hopped on a medium frame long time ago. It felt huge to me even after owning a medium 575 for 2 + years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got three mtb bikes, XL, L, and M...guess the size of my Yeti?

The first thing I thought was my local Yeti dealer was on crack when he thought I would fit better on a Medium frame. But once he was through adjusting the bike to me, it fit like a glove. I wasn't looking for a 29er either but I was sold the first test ride long before he ever started adjusting it.

5'11" 275lbs
    Last edited by 50calray; 01-06-2013 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    adjectives only have meaning to the person saying them, numbers mean the same thing to everyone. You need to compare the geometry of what you're riding now to the 7 and draw your own conclusions; asking the internet for sizing advice with only your height and weight will never get you the right size.
    The problem is blind buying online. I live in Colorado and yet I'm having a hard time finding anyone that carries the discontinued ars7 for a test ride to know what feels better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am 5ft 11 and some on a good day, weigh 220lbs and for the last 19 months ridden a Yeti 7 medium, with a stem no longer than 70mm....now settled on a 50mm.
    I would class myself as a trail rider so ride up as well as down, and the Yeti is correct size for long climbs and steep downhills.

I would also recommend a coil shock makes a huge difference to the ride.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    5'11 here 200 lbs. I ride a medium Asr 7.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

jddist
    May 2008
    +1 for medium

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    6' 185, riding a Large ASR-7. Looks big but "feels" right...

what the quan?!
    You're right on the cusp man. If you've got long arms/legs I would opt for the large.

My wife is 5 foot 11, she's quite lanky throughout and feels at home on my large.

She rides a large Stumpy normally (mens size).

She tried a medium 66 at a shop a few weeks ago, and felt too 'crunched up' on it.
    Granted the 66 is a different beast than the 7.

mtbr member
    How close are you to Yeti in Boulder? I am sure they may have one or two different bikes there perhaps?

But I myself am 5'11" and ride a medium ASR-7, I used to ride an medium Rocky Mountain RM6, but then again a Large Haro.

I was fortunate enough to test ride the 7's, and the medium felt right to me, meaning it feels nimble and easy to throw my weight around. Yet that is my preference, and a big deal to me is being able to get a foot down when I need to steady myself.

As stated before look at the geometry - heck I have used frame measurements before, and used some masking tape and put the outline of a fullscale frame on the garage wall just to get an idea of standover, BB heigth etc. compared to whatever my current frame was. Sounds Time Consuming, yet it gave me an estimate when the actual bike was not available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    How close are you to Yeti in Boulder? I am sure they may have one or two different bikes there perhaps?

But I myself am 5'11" and ride a medium ASR-7, I used to ride an medium Rocky Mountain RM6, but then again a Large Haro.

I was fortunate enough to test ride the 7's, and the medium felt right to me, meaning it feels nimble and easy to throw my weight around. Yet that is my preference, and a big deal to me is being able to get a foot down when I need to steady myself.

As stated before look at the geometry - heck I have used frame measurements before, and used some masking tape and put the outline of a fullscale frame on the garage wall just to get an idea of standover, BB heigth etc. compared to whatever my current frame was. Sounds Time Consuming, yet it gave me an estimate when the actual bike was not available.
    Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my question. I ended up finding a shop that had some left over ASR-7's and test rode a Med and Large. I ended up on the Large. The medium felt to congested even after some cockpit adjustments and the Large felt perfect and controllable. Thanks for helping the newbie out!

what the quan?!
    Right on! ...Errr should I say, ride on! Enjoy your new 7.