bog
    mtbr member

ASR-7 Rear Tire Clearance? Anyone? John P?

I'm on the fence about buying a 2011 ASR-7. I love the look of the bike and think it would be fantastic for many of my local trails if I swap the air fork and shock to coil/coil. My only reservation is the lack of mud clearance when running a tire like a Maxxis DHR @ 2.4" wide. I've done some searching and some people say that the clearance is good while others complain about it.

Can anyone post a picture of a 2011 with a 2.4 tire (and give the tire measurement)? If it seems OK then I'm going to pull the trigger on the bike.

John P, how does the clearance compare to my SB-66?

Thanks!
    Last edited by bog; 03-08-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I have run 2.4 specialized tires on the rear of my 7 and there was no rub and still good clearance. And specialized tires are way bigger then other manufacturers.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

jddist
    May 2008
    2.4 Ardents worked but 2.4 Advantages did not, they were too tall.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    I run a 2.35 Hans Dampf...fits fine.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    I ran a Mountain King 2.4 with plenty of room.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Here is my 2011 ASR-7 with a Nobby Nic in 26" x 2.4". The first two views are from the bottom of the frame, and the last two from the top looking down to the swing arm. The tire comes closest to the bottom of the swing arm. At the top section there is more clearance. Hope the pictures help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Rear Tire Clearance? Anyone? John P?-imag1094.jpg  

ASR-7 Rear Tire Clearance? Anyone? John P?-imag1093.jpg  

ASR-7 Rear Tire Clearance? Anyone? John P?-imag1090.jpg  

ASR-7 Rear Tire Clearance? Anyone? John P?-imag1089.jpg  

bog
    mtbr member
    Thanks drbelleville, that's amazing service

The clearance is really borderline for our mucky fall-winter-spring conditions so I'll have to think about it a bit. I think the Maxxis tires are generally a bit smaller than Schwalbe tires but a bit of mud buildup might end up taking some paint off.

The bike is just sooooo nice!

mtbr member
    No problem, I am not sure but the overall Outer Carcass dimensions may vary with other tires or brands. A Conti Baron or Mud King in 2.3 may be an option? I have had my eyes on the 2.3 Baron for the rear to gain some clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Remember that the rim profile determines the tire shape. I've seen the same tire mounted on a 5.1d and a Flow and they were drastically different, so I don't think you can just narrow it to a tire size

bog
    mtbr member
    That would only be a minor concern for me since the the clearance of the 2.4 NN is so tight. Even if I added 2-3 mm of clearance it might be too tight.

Unfortunately, going to a smaller tire isn't an option for me because I would use this as a real 7" bike and wide sticky tires are a must in our conditions.

what the quan?!
    I am running 2.4 Fat Alberts and it looks very smilar to drb's setup. I too was worried at first about the tight clearance... but so far in some pretty mucky weathered portland situations, i've encountered zero issues! Basically, anytime I come to a rest stop... I normally just use a stick or something to get the mud buildup off the frame... it can shed pounds of a muddy ride! hahaha

bog
    mtbr member
    Yikes, I don't think I want to have to stop a few times per ride to de-mud my bike. I've had to do that with my VPP bikes which have better tire clearance.

One reason that I really like my SB-66 is that there is lots of tire clearance and no big shelf to collect mud. As much as I like the ASR-7 I think I'll have to pass.

Yeti, how about doing an SB-67 or 68!!!!????? The SB-66 is capable buy just doesn't have the plushness and travel needed for bigger hit trails and bike park riding.

what the quan?!
    heh! but like i said... its a non-issue, so don't let that detour you from the 7; especially at the price they are currently going for right now!

where I ride occasionally (because of the seasonal wet weather), i can get caked on mud no matter what bike I am using. Thats why I flick it off with a stick. Essentially the clearance is very similar to what my carbon-rear 575 had. Never had an issue with that one either. Would I like to see more space in between the tire and frame, sure, but it's not gonna be the make or break of a bike purchase.

I suppose we all have our priorities...

bog
    mtbr member
    I do some tire testing once in a while so I don't always have a choice in the tire that I'll be running (testing) so I need the clearance in case I'm given a 2.5" to test. I'd already be riding the 7 if I didn't need the flexibility of good tire clearance. It's killing me because I'm a huge Yeti fan and the 2011 7 looks sooo bada$$.