Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

ASR-7 Build Thread

125K views 526 replies 106 participants last post by  drbelleville 
#1 ·
Okay, I guess I'll start. Post your Seven builds.

XO rear der., and Twist Shifters, XT cranks, e-13 DRS
Juicy 7 brakes, Gravity Dropper seat post,
Hope Pro II with ZTR Flow

For suspension, I have different XC and DH configurations.
For DH I use a Vivid 5.1 and a Totem Solo Air.
For XC I use a Monarch 4.1 and a Lyrik Solo Air (modified for 176 mm travel)
With the Kenda tires I'm using the XC build comes in at 28.9 lbs. I haven't weighed the DH config.

See less See more
#7 ·
Medium ASR7

~34lbs
Fox 36 Talas
Chris King Headset
Stock Easton Monkeylight Bars
Yeti Odi Lockon grips
Thomson Stem 90mm
Hope M4 Disc Brakes - 203mm\180mm
Sram X0 Shifters
Sram X9 rear derailleur
Sram PG-990 Cassette
Sram PC -991 Chain
Hammerschmidt Cranks w/bb
Mavic 819 UST with Chris King ISO Hubs (20mm\12mm)
Conti Rubber Queen UST Sneakers (2.4\2.2)
Joplin Seatpost with remote
SDG Ti Fly Seat
Time Atac Carbon Pedals

#179 ·
Medium ASR7

~34lbs
Fox 36 Talas
Chris King Headset
Stock Easton Monkeylight Bars
Yeti Odi Lockon grips
Thomson Stem 90mm
Hope M4 Disc Brakes - 203mm\180mm
Sram X0 Shifters
Sram X9 rear derailleur
Sram PG-990 Cassette
Sram PC -991 Chain
Hammerschmidt Cranks w/bb
Mavic 819 UST with Chris King ISO Hubs (20mm\12mm)
Conti Rubber Queen UST Sneakers (2.4\2.2)
Joplin Seatpost with remote
SDG Ti Fly Seat
Time Atac Carbon Pedals
Nice bike setup :thumbsup:

#150 ·
Double post..

Here is my 7.. Mind you that I made this Edit for a school function so the start is goofy, and the music is straight out of the 80's.. but it shows some of the capabilities of the 7.. the one drop is just short of a 15x15 and the one jump is about 30 feet lip to lip. Short story is the bike is capable..

#5 ·
For suspension, I have different XC and DH configurations.
For DH I use a Vivid 5.1 and a Totem Solo Air.
For XC I use a Monarch 4.1 and a Lyrik Solo Air (modified for 176 mm travel)
With the Kenda tires I'm using the XC build comes in at 28.9 lbs. I haven't weighed the DH config.
How do you modify a fork to get almost 20mm more travel then intended??

That's a sweet build though... insanely light for 7'' travel.

#6 ·
Monk_Knight said:
How do you modify a fork to get almost 20mm more travel then intended??

That's a sweet build though... insanely light for 7'' travel.
I actually tried to get more travel initially, but didn't think about the too-short rebound damper rod. I posted the mods on the Shocks and Suspension forum. There are still some questions about durability, but I'm pretty optimistic at this point.

BTW, the weight I posted was with a Thompson seat post. I think the GD adds about half a pound.

#10 ·
belljeffw said:
Nice build! I want your brakes... Any issues installing the cranks?
Best brakes I've ever had. I ran than for 6 months on my 575 and put 'em on the 7.

No issues installing the Hammerschmidt. I called Yeti and asked them about it---while they wouldn't come out and say anything officially they alluded that you could just bolt on the Hammerschmidt and avoid any of the cutting the hammerschmidt manual talks about. The BB and ISCG tabs are already faced and aligned. I did need to use the spacers that came with the kit but not biggie.

The shifting is unreal. Can't wait to test it on some real stuff.

#11 ·
Wow, these 7s look so serious. I'd love to know how they perform with the RP23.
I am not a weight winnie but in summer time I like my bikes light. It's getting so dusty and hot (and I'm not getting younger eighther) here that it's just not that fun to peddal up hill. After retreating to my HT during the summer, I find my 575.............................heavy?.

#12 ·
GreenBonty said:
Wow, these 7s look so serious. I'd love to know how they perform with the RP23.
I am not a weight winnie but in summer time I like my bikes light. It's getting so dusty and hot (and I'm not getting younger eighther) here that it's just not that fun to peddal up hill. After retreating to my HT during the summer, I find my 575.............................heavy?.
I was pretty unhappy with the RP23, since it seemed to bottom out very easily, even when I used less sag than recommended. I switched to the Vivid which I liked very much, but caught the weight weenie bug and switched again to a Monarch. The Monarch is "okay", but it still bottoms out pretty easy - not as easy as the RP23, though.

I started thinking I might pickup another RP23 (I had already sold mine) and get it Pushed. I sent them an email asking what they could do for me, and here is the response:

The biggest problem with running the air shocks on the longer travel bikes is the fact that Fox only offers those shocks with the high volume air sleeves. These air sleeves are the source of your problems causing the need to run excessive air pressure and they bottom out too easily. I would hang on to the Monarch because we will be tuning those shortly and offering air volume reducer kits at the same time. We do not have any ETA right now but it will be soon as we are riding the prototype Monarchs currently and as soon as it is available it will be up on our web site.
So now I check the Push site at least once a day...

#14 ·
belljeffw said:
I was pretty unhappy with the RP23, since it seemed to bottom out very easily, even when I used less sag than recommended. I switched to the Vivid which I liked very much, but caught the weight weenie bug and switched again to a Monarch. The Monarch is "okay", but it still bottoms out pretty easy - not as easy as the RP23, though.

I started thinking I might pickup another RP23 (I had already sold mine) and get it Pushed. I sent them an email asking what they could do for me, and here is the response:

So now I check the Push site at least once a day...
Your RP23 was the 2010 with boost valve?....

#15 ·
fabricio fracchia said:
Your RP23 was the 2010 with boost valve?....
Yes, even the early 7's had the 2010 shock. Admittedly I didn't give it much of a chance. I rode it around the house and hopped off a few curbs. When it bottomed out I added more air and repeated. It still bottomed out. Since I had a Vivid available I swapped them and sold the RP23.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.