Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You're right, the 7 hasn't received a lot of buzz. Its an awesome bike, and your review was great.
    http://wembleycycles.com/ Yeti Cycles Dealer for Western Australia.

jddist
    May 2008
    Great review Quasi. I feel exactly the same. I have about 2 weeks on my new 7 and am totally impressed. I have been on a 575 for the past year and a half up until about 2 months ago when I picked up a Pivot Firebird. I had been looking at replacing my 575 for something bigger, without any carbon, and that still pedaled as good. I have ridden a friends 2k Nomad and it was great going down but was not that impressed with the going up. Did about 5 days of demo on a Firebird and liked it better than the nomad, mostly because it went up better. It however did not feel as good going down. Never got a chance to demo the 7, and never there were not many reviews of it. I pulled the trigger on a good deal firebird. All in all I liked the firebird except that I noticed that my legs were constantly getting more fatigued on my typical rides. Then I saw the blowout prices at competitive cyclist on the 7 so I figured I would get a frame and build it up with components from the bird and really compare the 2 over a couple of months and then keep the one I like better and sell the other one.

Result:
    The 7 is easily everything my 575 was and more. It climbs as good, if not better ( not talking about 10 mile fireroad stuff, but steep, tech, rocky single and 1/2 track). Is just about as light, so still super fun and easy to pop of stuff and throw around on the trail. Geo is still good enough to ride extended 3 hour xc stuff such as Sedona. Going down it smokes the 575. Much stiffer and wider rear end than the 575, and best of all NO CARBON, except for the dogbone link which I do not have any worries about. For my type of riding, and my guess about 80% of others, the 7 simply make the 575 obsolete. For those were the really 7 is too much, then my guess is that an ASR-5 would be a better choice than the 575. The only time I think the 575 would be better if the 7 is just too tall (standover) for a shorter rider.

7 or the Firebird:
    Here is where I am still undecided. For me the 7 outclimbs the firebird without a doubt, and I believe it is because of the short chainstay of the 7. It allows you to really torque the rear wheel into the ground on steep tech climbs. Once again this is granny gear steep, tech, rocky stuff, not extended long period of in the saddle inclines. I also do not get the fatigued legs thing happening that I noticed with the firebird. Finally it feel supper plush on drops.

However, I really love the super smooth consistent feel of the firebird on the way down and on the flat. It feels just super great on small and square edge bumps at slow and ripping speeds. I have read about this feeling in many DW Link type bike reviews, and now totally understand what they were talking about. It only took about a mile into my first ride on the 7 before I said to myself, wow that is that difference between a single pivot and a DW Link that everyone is talking about. The single pivot 7's rear feels like it gets caught up on square edge bumps, were the DW link firebird just feels like it rolls over them on a tire with twice the volume at half the pressure.

Final decision:
    Still unsure, going to give it about a month and see how I feel then. Nothing to horrible in having 2 great bikes to ride. Let's just hope the new RFX doesn't show up any time soon because that could put me back to ground zero.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet
    Great review Quasi. I feel exactly the same. I have about 2 weeks on my new 7 and am totally impressed. I have been on a 575 for the past year and a half up until about 2 months ago when I picked up a Pivot Firebird. I had been looking at replacing my 575 for something bigger, without any carbon, and that still pedaled as good. I have ridden a friends 2k Nomad and it was great going down but was not that impressed with the going up. Did about 5 days of demo on a Firebird and liked it better than the nomad, mostly because it went up better. It however did not feel as good going down. Never got a chance to demo the 7, and never there were not many reviews of it. I pulled the trigger on a good deal firebird. All in all I liked the firebird except that I noticed that my legs were constantly getting more fatigued on my typical rides. Then I saw the blowout prices at competitive cyclist on the 7 so I figured I would get a frame and build it up with components from the bird and really compare the 2 over a couple of months and then keep the one I like better and sell the other one.

Result:
    The 7 is easily everything my 575 was and more. It climbs as good, if not better ( not talking about 10 mile fireroad stuff, but steep, tech, rocky single and 1/2 track). Is just about as light, so still super fun and easy to pop of stuff and throw around on the trail. Geo is still good enough to ride extended 3 hour xc stuff such as Sedona. Going down it smokes the 575. Much stiffer and wider rear end than the 575, and best of all NO CARBON, except for the dogbone link which I do not have any worries about. For my type of riding, and my guess about 80% of others, the 7 simply make the 575 obsolete. For those were the really 7 is too much, then my guess is that an ASR-5 would be a better choice than the 575. The only time I think the 575 would be better if the 7 is just too tall (standover) for a shorter rider.

7 or the Firebird:
    Here is where I am still undecided. For me the 7 outclimbs the firebird without a doubt, and I believe it is because of the short chainstay of the 7. It allows you to really torque the rear wheel into the ground on steep tech climbs. Once again this is granny gear steep, tech, rocky stuff, not extended long period of in the saddle inclines. I also do not get the fatigued legs thing happening that I noticed with the firebird. Finally it feel supper plush on drops.

However, I really love the super smooth consistent feel of the firebird on the way down and on the flat. It feels just super great on small and square edge bumps at slow and ripping speeds. I have read about this feeling in many DW Link type bike reviews, and now totally understand what they were talking about. It only took about a mile into my first ride on the 7 before I said to myself, wow that is that difference between a single pivot and a DW Link that everyone is talking about. The single pivot 7's rear feels like it gets caught up on square edge bumps, were the DW link firebird just feels like it rolls over them on a tire with twice the volume at half the pressure.

Final decision:
    Still unsure, going to give it about a month and see how I feel then. Nothing to horrible in having 2 great bikes to ride. Let's just hope the new RFX doesn't show up any time soon because that could put me back to ground zero.
    Excellent info. Helps reinforce my decision on the 7. Was considering a Firebird and Nomad. For the price found on the 7 I could buy the SX wheelset and be even money or better. And the 7 has the geo I like...long, semi-slack and stable. Short top tubes don't feel right.

Interesting note on the square bump performance. I feel the 7 does better in that respect than my Horst Link bikes and is more than acceptable in that arena. The Firebird must feel amazing on square bumps. Good luck on your decision...what a nice problem to have!

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    A rather unexceptional build compared to some on here - it came about as I met someone who had a new 7 frame but really wanted a 575 so I swapped my 575 for the 7. As it was unplanned and there is no current upgrade budget it is just built up with the bits off the 575, plus odd necessary new bits like the front mech. Apologies to the purists for the fenders but it was quite a mucky ride!

Currently has;

Hope BB, headset and Pro 11 hubs with DT 5.1 rims
    Hope Mono Mini brakes
    Mostly XT drivetrain and associated bits
    Race Face Atlas bars & stem
    Lyrick u turn coil and standard RP23
    Maxis sp tyres - 2.35 minion front & 2.2 Advantage rear

Weight about 32.5lbs

First ride yesterday. Seemed very saggy setting up.I stopped at 210lbs for the initial set up (I am 165lbs) which seemed very high but still gave significant sag (the amount of sag can be seen in the fist pic). It seems to sit well down in the travel but pedals reasonably well - it was tiring on the climbs but then I have been on a hardtail for months and have not ridden properly for most of December so that is probably an engine problem!

Seems to hook up well climbing up steps and steep stuff but much lighter at the the front than the 575, possibly due to the amount of sag. I did everything with the fork fully extended just to see what it could do. Initial impressions are that a wind down fork might be necessary but we will see after more riding.

It is simply a rip snorting animal going down - rode a couple of very nasty rubble sections at some speed and it just flattened them! That is with a temporary set up of narrower tyres with tubes - going back to 2.5 running tubeless will make it even better. The 575 with a heavyish wheelset was impressive but this is definitely up a notch

Overall - an exciting acquisition with much potential. I had picked up on the issues with the RP23 and large air can and that seems born out by my experience. I will play around with different pressures etc but the shock as supplied does not seem ideally suited to the frame. You will see from the second photo how much I have extended the seat pin at the end of the ride.

The initial set up seemed fine throwing a leg over but a few miles cranking back on lanes and the canal bank needed a lot more seat height - also the saddle needs to be levelled as the post angle seems more laid back than the 575 it on previously!

After a late night getting the build finished, time to get it dirty

Well and truly christened! The beginning of what will be an interesting journey to get this fully developed.

Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice bike and the fenders don't look bad at all.
    I too weigh 165lbs and am running 200psi in the RP23 which is more than what was called for for my weight according to the Fox setup guide but it's working fine.
    Coming from a coil shock on my old ASX which was perfect, I didn't figure I would like the RP23 at all from reading reviews about how it blew through the mid-stroke travel. Well I've had my 7 two months now and I love it, RP23 included. As mentioned in other post the bike is just super smooth going down and it climbs so well! Hard to believe it has so much travel and climbs too. I love riding this bike.
    About the only thing I may change on my bike is to add a Gravity Dropper seat post, at present I can't lower the seat enough because of the curved seat tube.

The 7 is the perfect all around bike in my opinion or at least it is for me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi
    This is a copy to the thread I posted in the general forum...

I'm not seeing much buzz on this bike and after just a few rides I have no clue why. This thing is perfection! If you ride rough, chunky ground you have to consider this bike. My thoughts:

Me: 35yrs 6'3" 220-230lb. Riding rough short grass prairie bluffs, canyons, rocks, washouts leading down to trees, logs and river bed. Suspension is a necessity and my feeling is more is better...if it pedals. Only four hours from Colorado front range riding and make a yearly trip to Moab/Fruita.

History: '03 Titus Quasi-Moto, '07 Titus Moto-Lite, '09 Specialized Stumpjumper (still being ridden), '06 Specialized SWORKS Enduro (broken frame and thus the search leading to the ASR 7). The Enduro was the best fit in an XL. I like my bikes long and slack.

Bike: '10 ASR 7 (insane price by Competitive Cyclist!). DHXA (270psi main, 170psi boost, BO full in, 27% sag). Size XL. PUSHED 36 Float RC2. Crossmax SX. Shimano 8spd/9spd 2x8 drivetrain. Specialized Chunder 2.3's w/ Stans. BB7 brakes w/ 8"/7" rotors. 32.7lb with lots of Stans in the tires.

Sidenote: Go ahead and laugh on the brakes. They are the original BB7's which had a longer lever arm than the current models and are very powerful. They've worked so well I just keep putting off an upgrade for more pressing needs. Nonetheless, a change is on the list...

ASR 7 thoughts: Like most, I saw a trail bike frame with 7" and thought "why in the world would I need a 7" bike?" Additionally, I'm a big Horst Link fan and the ASR 7 is a single pivot. After just a few rides I say "why would you NOT need a 7" trail bike?" I kid you not, this thing pedals almost as good as my '09 Stumpjumper (RP23 w/ ProPedal on). I can't emphasize enough how well this thing pedals. I press down and the thing squirts forward. That shouldn't happen with that much travel. And I don't even use the ProPedal on the DHXA! I have yet to sense any significant negative pedal feedback while climbing over rough terrain or braking effects on the same (so much for my beloved Horst Link theories). If you ride rough terrain and like running a big fork (36, Lyrik) on your trail bike I see no reason to not consider the ASR 7. In fact, I'm not sure why you'd look at a 575 other than weight. This thing pedals and handles that well. Did I mention it pedals well?

Conclusion: I fully realize the "new bike high" is fully established. That said, this is the most excited I've been about a bike...and I'm not getting any younger. If you want a trail/all mountain/(insert adjective here) bike to be ridden over rough terrain that requires technical climbing prowess, this is a necessary consideration.

Hi !
    The seven will probably be my next bike .I know the shop you're talking about , and their killer deal on the seven. I'm hezitating of buying a XL frame cos Yetis are quite big..I'm 6"3 just like you & I like to go behind the saddle easily ( in the very steep). The shop certified me they have 2010 XL models left . are you sure you bought a XL and not a L ?cos I don't think Yeti was producing Extra large asr7 in 2010...
    If anyone has the answer ??
    Cheers & happy trails !

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by la tchounga
    Hi !
    The seven will probably be my next bike .I know the shop you're talking about , and their killer deal on the seven. I'm hezitating of buying a XL frame cos Yetis are quite big..I'm 6"3 just like you & I like to go behind the saddle easily ( in the very steep). The shop certified me they have 2010 XL models left . are you sure you bought a XL and not a L ?cos I don't think Yeti was producing Extra large asr7 in 2010...
    If anyone has the answer ??
    Cheers & happy trails !
    It's an XL. Wheelbase and effective top tube are spot on w/ posted geo. I love the fit but then I hate being cramped on a bike w/ a short top tube. No problems getting behind the saddle. I can't wait for Moab!

Colorado Yeti Rider!

... and if we just ... 2011 ASR7 custom build Gnar Shredder!

This is my custom build 2011 ASR7

This is my 3rd Yeti in the last 3 years and I am hoping to keep this one for a long time. My last two were 575's, I liked them but for me the ASR7 is way better. I was never able to get the 575's Fox rp23 air shock setup perfectly for my weight, 220lbs, but the ASR7 with the coil DHX RC4 is WINNING! I really like the Fox Talas 180mm fork but think I would have been just as happy with the 180mm Float or Van. The Hammerschmidt owns. The xFusion seat is awesome. It is my first TA seat post and I am now addicted to using it all the time. I like the lever under the seat. haven't tried the remote yet. I love everything about this bike!
    This beast climbs great and shreds the gnar going down!
    Build:
    Large frame with DHX RC4 shock 550lb spring
    Fox 36 Talas 180mm
    ChrisKing tapered headset
    HammerSchmidt AM cranks with XO shifter
    Saint-M810 SS Derailleur with saint shifter
    Saint HG80 cassette 11-34T 9 speed
    XTR cn7701 Chain
    Sun Ringlé Charger Pro wheelset w/ Stans tubeless yellow tape
    Answer Protaper Carbon 720mm AM bars 1" rise
    Point1Racing Split Second 50 ltd edt nickle plated stem
    Point1Racing Podium raw pedals
    xFusion HiLo seatpost
    FIZIK Aliante seat
    Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 tires setup tubeless
    Yeti ODI lock-on grips
    Weight: ~33lbs

Still waiting for me new Hayes Prime Pro brakes to arrive and will switch to Ti spring some time soon hopefully

Thanks to Poison Spider in Moab for the frame and hookup on some of the parts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst
    wonderful!

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    awesome!
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Biggest change out of the box the was swap the Fox 36 Float for the Lyric 2 Step air.. I ditched the carbon bar it came with for a ENVE DH bar, 800mm and 225 grams.. Swapped the three speed FD out for a 2 Speed FD and swapped the triple out for a double plus bash.. Put a Specialized Command post in place of the Thompson post, and lastly went some Specialized tubeless tires instead of Schwalbe

Get ready for a Photo Bomb...

Member of The Yeti Tribe

The Hammerschmidt owns. It is my first TA seat post and I am now addicted to using it all the time. I like the lever under the seat. haven't tried the remote yet. I love everything about this bike!
    This beast climbs great and shreds the gnar going down!
    Do yourself a favor and get a remote for your seat.. its worth every penny and gram. I use mine 5 times more with the lever..

And I had the Hammerschmidt on my last bike and I loved it.. If I wasnt going for weight here I would have it on my 7 too. So far I love mine and looks like you should too with that build kit and how dialed it is..

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    Thanks for the tip swan, I'll install my remote lever this week and test it out. I just found the seat lever to be very easy to use so I stuck with that.

I like your bike too. The hard part was picking which color frame to get. I love the turquoise but wasn't a fan of the yellow until I saw it in person after I ordered mine in black. They both look great though. Nice move to the double with bash up front. My favorite feature of your bike are those bars, they make me so ENVIOUS!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Thanks for the tip swan, I'll install my remote lever this week and test it out. I just found the seat lever to be very easy to use so I stuck with that.

I like your bike too. The hard part was picking which color frame to get. I love the turquoise but wasn't a fan of the yellow until I saw it in person after I ordered mine in black. They both look great though. Nice move to the double with bash up front. My favorite feature of your bike are those bars, they make me so ENVIOUS!

I see what you did there.. these bars are sweet.. I said I was going to cut them down but I am not sure.. they feel really really good on this bike at full length..

The remote makes a big difference.. you will use the post more now that you dont have to take your hand off the bar.. its nice..

And thanks man. I am a believer that if you buy a Yeti, you are paying for those colors.. getting a yeti in any other color is like getting a Ferrari and it not being red.. not saying yours doesnt look awesome because the Black and White is super clean looking, Just not as loud as I like.. must be the fact I am still in the under 20 group.

I am hoping that I can find the Coin for a Vivid air on mine before to long.. I didnt want to go full coil but I think I will abuse the RP23 the way that I ride..

mtbr member
    2010 7
    Lyrik coil U-Turn
    Monarch RT3 low tune
    Mavic 819 with Atomlab(r) and Rocky carbon(f) hubs
    Schwalbe NN 2.4 UST
    Haven carbon bar
    Truvativ OCT 2x9 crankset
    XT brakes/ DriveTrain
    Gravity, Crank Bros, ect.
    31.5 pounds

Haven 20mm/12mm wheelset and Reverb up next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-img_5678.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-img_5670.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-img_5672.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-img_5673.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-img_5681.jpg  

Last edited by bpnic; 03-21-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    last one....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-img_5684.jpg  

I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    2010 7
    Lyrik coil U-Turn
    Monarch RT3 low tune
    Mavic 819 with Atomlab(r) and Rocky carbon(f) hubs
    Schwalbe NN 2.4 UST
    Haven carbon bar
    Truvativ OCT 2x9 crankset
    XT brakes/ DriveTrain
    Gravity, Crank Bros, ect.
    31.5 pounds

Haven 20mm/12mm wheelset and Reverb up next.
    Dropper post and a chain and your set!!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Double post and cross post from the First Yeti Thread..

First two ride reports.. Take with a grain of salt as I am still dialing in my suspension and adjusting everything to my liking.

I was happy with the way that It climbed.. My ride was a 1300' Pretty steep climb with a few small radius switch backs that can be a PITA that was a 1.5 mile climb.. I was able to climb in my 36t the whole way up the "trail" part , clearing all the Switchbacks, had to hike and use the 24t a few of the +25% grades that were really rocky and gnarly..
    Mostly happy with how it climbed.. the lighter wheelset then my last bike was noticeable, got to some steep stuff and even with the Lyric dropped to 115mm, the front end was still lifting and darting one me.. given this is on super steep pitches with gnarly rocky rooty climbing surfaces. I still need to adjust my stack height. I am running 4 spacers under my stem and I will swap those around before my next ride to lower the front end a bit.

I thought the bike climbed very well for the 32lb weight.. in the gnarly stuff having so much travel was nice.. the bike tracks very well on any non steep pitch and the rear end just sticks to the ground and hooks up very well, I didnt feel like I was loosing that much to the 7 inches of travel but it also made the bike super smooth climbing.. I am sure that once I lower the bars a touch more, it will do even better. I am overall happy with how it climbed.

Coming back down on my first ride I was initially just kinda so-so with the bike.. it was not the terrain that the bike was meant for.. It was a relatively smoother trail that was pretty tight with trees and the trail is pretty narrow and the speeds stay relatively slow. I felt like the bike was really long and I was having a little trouble weaving my way through some sections.. This bike wasn't meant for that type of trail I know but I was still not as stoked on it as I was hoping.. I guess I shouldn't expect a 7 inch travel to be ride like a 4 inch bike in some places.. haha

This all changed once I got to Pedal/hike up farther to where the trail system opened up into some gnarly steep trails that had been tore up by moto's.. Like 15% - 30% grade and tons of loose rock.

I started down the faster and more gnarly stuff and I fell in love with the bike, I always say that my Khyber used to feel kinda like a DH bike but the ASR7 felt just like my DH bike did.. Big rock sections disappeared under the bike and it felt like the bike was at home, the faster you go the better it rides. I had no problem preloading the moto "whoops" and airing right into what ever was in front of me.. the bike took to the air very well.. I will defiantly being putting full 203mm rotors in the front and back to reel the bike back in because it likes to run as fast as possible downhill.

After this I really was stoked on the bike and I guess I truly understood the DH-ability of this bike. After coming down the gnarly top section I was stoked on the bike and I think that it will be a great fit for me..

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    So you have learned the first rule of the ASR7: The faster you ride her the better it feels

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    So you have learned the first rule of the ASR7: The faster you ride her the better it feels

Indeed I have.. My GPS track has me hitting 35mph in a super rocky section and I agree that that was when I felt like she was really feeling at home..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Kinda off subject but worth noting. Wasting time today ran across this listing on ebay with pictures showing blemishes, notably cable rub. My 7 has less than 100 miles on it and after looking at the photos I checked my bike and behold the same rubs had started. Armored those places with gorilla tape, so I feel better now.
    Check the listing http://cgi.ebay.com/Yeti-ASR7-Bike-f...item25622dab3c

Colorado Yeti Rider!

cable rub sucks!

First off, why does your 7 have less than 100 miles on it? I already have 60 miles in the last week.
    I first rode my bike for about 5 miles on the streets around my house when I finished building it and noticed the cable rub. I removed all the cables and put 3m clear bra all over my bike particularly the down tube and added a few extra cable/frame protectors (pictured). I will check the clear bra in a few month to see if it is wearing at all but I doubt it will, that stuff is super durable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    First off, why does your 7 have less than 100 miles on it? I already have 60 miles in the last week.
    I first rode my bike for about 5 miles on the streets around my house when I finished building it and noticed the cable rub. I removed all the cables and put 3m clear bra all over my bike particularly the down tube and added a few extra cable/frame protectors (pictured). I will check the clear bra in a few month to see if it is wearing at all but I doubt it will, that stuff is super durable.
    I got a road bike about a year and a half ago and have been hooked on that, thought the new would wear off but it hasn't so my mtn bike has been collecting dust. Still love my 7 and mtn biking but just do occasional rides.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    This is bad.. I went to our local Dh spot and they are gearing up for a race this weekend and naturally I ran down the race course clipped in and all and I can already tell I am going to want to make this a 2 build type of bike.. I want to have a light weight wheel set and the Lyric and RP23 and then I want a 180 fork and vivid air along with a chainguide and a burly wheel set.. as its built up right now it rides well.. but I think it could be competitive at some of the DH races around here..

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Double post..

Here is my 7.. Mind you that I made this Edit for a school function so the start is goofy, and the music is straight out of the 80's.. but it shows some of the capabilities of the 7.. the one drop is just short of a 15x15 and the one jump is about 30 feet lip to lip. Short story is the bike is capable..

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast