Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have demo the sb95 2x and a spider29. I liked the sb more. I hear ya on your advice... I just need to win the lotto and buy 1 of each Yeti has to offer lol.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Are people ever happy after shooting for that mythical build that creates a bike that does it all? Picking that rear shock and/or fork, picking other components while making sure not to make it too heavy or too fragile... I find it's a never-ending effort. Just specialize the ASR7, IMO. Mine started out as a long legged trail bike with the RP23 and now I got it set up as a big hit bike (w/DHX Air 5.0) that *loves speed*, esp on slalom type tracks and groomed bike park runs. Basically, once I found how much this bike likes to go frighteningly fast, I basically aimed to enhance and center the bike around that thrill.

I compliment it with a lighter faster short travel trail bike. Tough getting away from having a quiver, if you ride a variety of stuff. My ASR7 isn't the bike I choose to take out the most, but that's cause I got to go out of my way to find stuff to ride it on--if I sold it, I feel like I'd be missing out on a whole style of riding that I enjoy, so I say it earns its spot in my garage. I wouldn't be able to pedal the ASR7 for very long. While it rivals my other bikes for time around a loop, even rivaling times up specific climbs, I just can't keep it up for long. Good for high intensity cardio, I admit! If I didn't have the short travel bike, I think I'd settle with the stock RP23 honestly. It had quite the responsive XC pedaling traits with that shock, but maybe that was partly my build, with it maybe being around 30-31 lbs.

A lot of subjective opinions on this topic. Ask yourself what's the best DH or XC or AM bike you've ever ridden? Which had the nicest feeling suspension? Some peoples' "best upgrade ever" could be due to not experiencing something nicer, or basically finding something that suits their personal needs better. Doesn't hurt to try and be more objective when researching and comparing. Hard to value some of the subjective opinions, without knowing who wrote it on a more personal level.
    A few years back in was racing with a different team and was lucky enough to have the full quiver of bikes to go along with every kind of riding I wanted to do. I had the dj bike, the xc bike, the trail bike , ,the all mountain bike , and the full on dh bike (along with the Road bike and cross bike). Having the quiver was nice but going to school I had to consolidate down to just a few bikes and I needed one mountain bike to ride everything on.

I ride my stuff really hard and I needed a bike I could climb for hours as I race local xc races and super d type races. But I also needed something that could take a beating as I race downhill as well.

I settled on the asr7 and have been totally happy with the bike and how it preformed. I have podiumed at xc races with 4000 feet of climbing and then won cat 1 downhill races on the same build kit. I will admit that it didn't climb as well as my 26lb xc bike and wasn't as plush as my 40lb dh bike. But my 31lb asr7 is about the best do it all I could ask for.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Im in the same boat as you Swan! I just built up a Knolly Delirium with a lighter AM build! I love the bike, suspension design is amazing and the bike is super stiff but the top tube is a bit short for my liking! Its a large frame which is what my 7 is! Im going to demo a SB66 next week to see if I like it as it has the typical Yeti longer TT! I just cant seem to find a bike that I like as much as the 7! Its just an incredibly fun bike that fits me like a glove! I will see how the 66 treats me!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Im in the same boat as you Swan! I just built up a Knolly Delirium with a lighter AM build! I love the bike, suspension design is amazing and the bike is super stiff but the top tube is a bit short for my liking! Its a large frame which is what my 7 is! Im going to demo a SB66 next week to see if I like it as it has the typical Yeti longer TT! I just cant seem to find a bike that I like as much as the 7! Its just an incredibly fun bike that fits me like a glove! I will see how the 66 treats me!
    I am saving my pennies for a 66c frame. I rode a few 66a frames and really liked them. Not as much big hit ability as my 7 but better peddling the 7. I am hoping to build a 66 as my lighter weight pedal bike for super d and xc racing and then either turn the 7 into a 180mm fun bike or give the frame to my dad and let him upgrade from his old trail bike.

Until then I will still climb my 35lb 7 and be happy about it the whole time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Some Seven pics of my last ramblings ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-p1010089.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-dsc_2993.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-dsc_2965.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-dsc_2829.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-dsc_2774.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-dsc_2534.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-dsc_2419.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here some moa ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-dsc_2937.jpg  

I'm with stupid
    I really want one of these. Anybody selling off a large frame on the cheap?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I really want one of these. Anybody selling off a large frame on the cheap?
    Check the buy/sell on Mountain bike news, photos, videos and events - Pinkbike ...You will be surprised!

mtbr member
    Just built the 7 back up with some nicer parts! Tried a few other frames but keep coming back to this one!

Mavic CrossMax SX wheels
    2.35 Hans Ds
    Kashima RC4 with Ti-Coil
    170 Lyrik RC2DH
    XT Ice-Tech brakes
    XO crankset!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Just built the 7 back up with some nicer parts! Tried a few other frames but keep coming back to this one!

Mavic CrossMax SX wheels
    2.35 Hans Ds
    Kashima RC4 with Ti-Coil
    170 Lyrik RC2DH
    XT Ice-Tech brakes
    XO crankset!

*snip*

Glad to see you are still rocking the 7..

I am going to start getting my 7 into Sea Otter DH trim.. I am either going to find a Ti coil for my 5th Element or if the Vivid Air goes on sale anywhere, I will grab one.. Then tear my Lyric apart and overhaul it and put the 170mm spacer in it, then get some sort of chain guide and replace my 2x10 setup with a single.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice buildups !!!! Might upgrade to an RC4 soon , nice to see the 7 lives on ..

mtbr member
    Diggin the snow and cold weather here in CO with the ASR7. Gives me an excuse to put the full face on and go full gas!

mtbr member
    Just ordered my RC4 for my ASR7, and was curious what lb coil other riders are using for AM riding?

mtbr member
    What is your weight with gear? Im 215lbs geared and like a 500lb spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    Just ordered my RC4 for my ASR7, and was curious what lb coil other riders are using for AM riding?

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: ASR-7 Build Thread

What is your weight with gear? Im 215lbs geared and like a 500lb spring!
    I am a huge 167 soaking wet and rock a 500 on my 5th element.

mtbr member
    I'm about 215lb all geared up. The one I just ordered comes with the 450lb so we'll see how it feels..

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    I'm about 215lb all geared up. The one I just ordered comes with the 450lb so we'll see how it feels..
    My guess is that it will be under sprung.. I ride my bike really hard and that's why I chose the 500 vs ordering up something else. But even with the 500, I am still around 25-30% sag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    My guess is that it will be under sprung.. I ride my bike really hard and that's why I chose the 500 vs ordering up something else. But even with the 500, I am still around 25-30% sag.

That's what I was concerned with actually. Okay we'll do some experimenting with it. Also sorry for the newbie question but this is my first coil shock. On the RC4 is there a complete lockout?

mtbr member
    No lockout on a RC4.

I've had good success with mine by experimenting with the low speed compression setting so as to eliminate all but the smallest pedal bob and give good power transfer when pumping through the trail, but it's still supple for what bumps are in the trail.

I've personally come to prefer a well tuned shock that I don't need to remember to flip any levers on the downhill.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

You really don't need a full on lockout.. As others said, tune your low speed compression to make it so that the bike doesn't bob while your sitting and pedaling. But not so much that the bike doesn't absorb any major trail bumps.

My 5th element pedals almost as well as my rp23 did.. Yes it has a little more input but it's not much. But it's tons better at sticking the bike to the ground and makes the bike track better. Even with the shock tuned to pedal well, it still is much more supple and plush then the rp23..

Long live the ASR-7
    I found a site based out of the UK that still has some ASR-7s in stock. Just placed my order today! Shipping to the states was stupid expensive, good thing I live in Italy.

They had a black XL until I bought mine. Can't wait!
    Yeti ASR 7 2011 - Full Suspension Frame Mountain Bike Sale - Only 799.99 - Rutland Cycling

Custom bike love.
    Jan 2013

Yeti ASR-7s in stock

Hey ASR-7 fans,

It looks like there are some riders posting to this thread who are looking for a new ASR-7. We here at Cyclepath in Portland, OR have ASR-7 frames in stock on sale in sizes S, M and L. Black/white color scheme.

Here's a medium XT/36 trail shredder setup, weighing in at 30.5 lbs (without pedals).
    ASR-7 Build Thread-img_3305.jpg
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclepathNW View Post
    Hey ASR-7 fans,

It looks like there are some riders posting to this thread who are looking for a new ASR-7. We here at Cyclepath in Portland, OR have ASR-7 frames in stock on sale in sizes S, M and L. Black/white color scheme.

Here's a medium XT/36 trail shredder setup, weighing in at 30.5 lbs (without pedals).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3305.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	784891
    Cheers!
    Hey that one looks like mine , wait I have a 36 Talas 180 mm in front, Havoc carbon handlebar, Havoc Tee, Hope hubs, 203 mm Xtr rotors... etc. ....

Custom bike love.
    Jan 2013
    We have some of these brand new at a GREAT price. Cyclepath in Portland, Oregon. Cyclepath | Custom Bike Love from Portland, Oregon 503-281-0485

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by CyclepathNW View Post
    We have some of these brand new at a GREAT price. Cyclepath in Portland, Oregon. Cyclepath | Custom Bike Love from Portland, Oregon 503-281-0485
    Haha. You guys pick up some of those frames too? Our shop picked up 5 of them for us shop guys and a few customers that couldn't pass them up.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast