Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Member of The Yeti Tribe
    No update on shock. I am still torn on spending the money I shouldn't on the vivid air or getting something else.

This is a fun picture though. I had one of 2 team colored ASR7 that I knew of and now our shop will have 4 of them. They say me hucking mine and decided they wanted in on the fun.

Build on the xl frame is probably going to be a Cc double barrel coil with a boxxer WC up front and lots of ti goodies in between. The med is probably going to be similar to my build.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

luc91
    kind of... didn`t sell the CCDB air, went w/ the stock Fox DHX Air
    I9 wheels are awesome, those have ceramic bearing and Flow rims
    brakes were Formula The One's and sold it w/ Elixir Mag Ti w/ custom housing and pistons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucianofreeride View Post
    kind of... didn`t sell the CCDB air, went w/ the stock Fox DHX Air
    I9 wheels are awesome, those have ceramic bearing and Flow rims
    brakes were Formula The One's and sold it w/ Elixir Mag Ti w/ custom housing and pistons
    What frame replaced the 7?

@Swan, thats an awesome pic! Would like to see another with all 3 built up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Fox 40 installed and snow hucking...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-img00831-20121224-1244.jpg  

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    It is always fun to do a little snow riding. I have always wanted to try my fox 40 on the ASR7 but I didn't care to get an adapter to make it fit my tapered headset. looks good though.

mtbr member
    2fuels, can you post better pics of that beast!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    2fuels, can you post better pics of that beast!!!
    Yeah, I'll get some more pics up... I had FOX reduce the travel to 7" but now I'm thinking I want ALL the travel (plus the .5 degree change in the head angle cause the flat crown has my bars a little lower than I'm used to)

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Bolted up a 5th element to my 7 and going to give it a spin. I decided to just use this shock for a while and save up so that I can buy a vivid air.

I have herd good things about the shock and I am thinking that even though it puts my bike at over 34lbs, it will still ride better then the rp23. I am excited to have my Yeti super plush and huckable.

mtbr member
    Nice. Been trying to find pictures of people with that setup. Impressions of the ride? More pics please

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner View Post
    Nice. Been trying to find pictures of people with that setup. Impressions of the ride? More pics please
    Just bolted it on tonight. I will try and get some rides in this weekend. I know it's an old shock, but it has everything the ccdb has except for separate high and low speed rebound adjustments. And I know of a few people that still run them today and love them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner View Post
    My jump trail is filled in with too much snow so all I've been able to do is one of the drops to get the compression settings dialed in. I can say the combination of the 40 with the DHX-RC4 is SMOOOOTH and is capable of so much more. The ASR-7 is a weird bike but its also the funnest bike I've ever owned period, I figured I might as well slack it out and use all that travel to its potential, yeah its TALL but stable and jumps really well.

Since this is my first dual crown fork and I'm still learning, I've found the 7's headset stack height is too long for the 40 to be used safely. i.e. 8' inches of travel but only 7.5" of clearance, hoping a Chris King INSET headset will cure this issue (lower crown is outside the recommended length) the other potential problem is similiar to the Special-Ed Demo 8, if you decrease the stack height too much you might start bashing the lower crown bolts into your bottom tube regardless of fork bumpers. Which means i may have to mix and match upper and lower headset bearings. Stay tuned!

Edit: Opened up the Fork to find Fox had changed the travel to 6" (no wonder it seemed short for 203mm!) Changed it back to 8" Talked to the fox guys and 7's headset stack height is a-ok so I'm leaving it as it sits. As soon as the trail conditions improve a little I'll be flight testing..
    Last edited by 2FUELS; 12-28-2012 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cockpit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-img00834-20121227-0958.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dam that looks fun! Looking foreward to pics as I love the yellow Deemaxes!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    rear view..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-img00836-20121231-0955.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just finished building up my 2010 ASR7 and had my first ride yesterday here in Colorado Springs and was blown away by the capability of this bike. It climbed with ease and just bombed downhill. The only thing lacking is the RP23 in the back.

Last edited by crisillo; 01-21-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: want spam

mtbr member
    Nice! Did you get that frame off Pinkbike? Do yourself a favor and forget about the DHX air! Terrible shock with no mid stroke support!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had a DHX Air and switched to a CCDB Air, and that was an incredible upgrade in my ASR7 for any situation, from pedaling to rock gardens...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucianosilva9 View Post
    I had a DHX Air and switched to a CCDB Air, and that was an incredible upgrade in my ASR7 for any situation, from pedaling to rock gardens...
    Could you post a full bike pic!

Trail Ninja
    Are people ever happy after shooting for that mythical build that creates a bike that does it all? Picking that rear shock and/or fork, picking other components while making sure not to make it too heavy or too fragile... I find it's a never-ending effort. Just specialize the ASR7, IMO. Mine started out as a long legged trail bike with the RP23 and now I got it set up as a big hit bike (w/DHX Air 5.0) that *loves speed*, esp on slalom type tracks and groomed bike park runs. Basically, once I found how much this bike likes to go frighteningly fast, I basically aimed to enhance and center the bike around that thrill.

I compliment it with a lighter faster short travel trail bike. Tough getting away from having a quiver, if you ride a variety of stuff. My ASR7 isn't the bike I choose to take out the most, but that's cause I got to go out of my way to find stuff to ride it on--if I sold it, I feel like I'd be missing out on a whole style of riding that I enjoy, so I say it earns its spot in my garage. I wouldn't be able to pedal the ASR7 for very long. While it rivals my other bikes for time around a loop, even rivaling times up specific climbs, I just can't keep it up for long. Good for high intensity cardio, I admit! If I didn't have the short travel bike, I think I'd settle with the stock RP23 honestly. It had quite the responsive XC pedaling traits with that shock, but maybe that was partly my build, with it maybe being around 30-31 lbs.

A lot of subjective opinions on this topic. Ask yourself what's the best DH or XC or AM bike you've ever ridden? Which had the nicest feeling suspension? Some peoples' "best upgrade ever" could be due to not experiencing something nicer, or basically finding something that suits their personal needs better. Doesn't hurt to try and be more objective when researching and comparing. Hard to value some of the subjective opinions, without knowing who wrote it on a more personal level.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 01-20-2013 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Nice! Did you get that frame off Pinkbike? Do yourself a favor and forget about the DHX air! Terrible shock with no mid stroke support!
    No, but I saw that one on there for sale. Unbelievable how cheap you can pick up these old frames for. I would probably trade this Large out for a Medium though for my preference...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    guys, I have not considered this model until reading this post.....I havent taken my 575 w/160 float to a bike park yet, but wonder how it will do. I am also curious as to learn how to ride gravity but wonder if a dedicated DH bike is what I want. Is this a suitable bike to fit between my 575 for 75% of my riding, and a dedicated DH bike for parks?

Does the sb66 make a better all around bike?

maybe i go sb 95 plus asr7?

any thoughts would be great...thanks

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    guys, I have not considered this model until reading this post.....I havent taken my 575 w/160 float to a bike park yet, but wonder how it will do. I am also curious as to learn how to ride gravity but wonder if a dedicated DH bike is what I want. Is this a suitable bike to fit between my 575 for 75% of my riding, and a dedicated DH bike for parks?

Does the sb66 make a better all around bike?

maybe i go sb 95 plus asr7?

any thoughts would be great...thanks
    Bike parks typically have trails for all types of riders. A 575, esp the newer ones with the beefy ASR7 chainstays, and big fork up front should handle 90+% of the likes of Mammoth and Big Bear, and I consider that a conservative figure. Not sure about Northstar or maybe Trestle, if you are planning either, but I imagine they are well designed enough to be just as accommodating. Just make sure you select some good tires.

Dedicated DH bike is more for when you do some DH races and want to move up from beginner class, IMO. You can do Fontana beginner class on anything. Sea Otter would be even easier.

SB66 doesn't really match the ASR7 at what the ASR7 does best, but it's very good all around. The SB95 is more like the 29 flavor of SB66... both very capable and able to outclass your 575. The 66c, on the other hand, is a step above both the alloy 66 and 95, opening up it to the epic high mileage adventures you might have opted to choose the 95 for. 95 has those cheater wheels though, so if you are walking stuff on your 26", and want an edge that helps you ride it, the 29er wheels with good geo might help.

If you want to upgrade, and got the bennies in the bank, SB66c is probably *the bike* to beat. If you insist on 29, see the Intense Spider 29 Comp (new carbon version). ASR7 is just an inexpensive mid-range playbike right now, but plenty of memories to be had on one due to it sort of being niche and with a fun personality. Spider 29 Comp has very similar geo to the SB95, is lighter by 2 lbs in frame alone, not that much more expensive, is better behaved when hammering out of the saddle. Those are my two high end picks, but there's plenty of choices if you don't wanna spend 2800 to 3100 on a frame, considering you prob paid less than 2500 for your complete 575 on sale.

I have a SB95 and ASR7. SB95 is basically so capable, I don't ride the ASR7 for anything but jumps, drops, and rocks, cause the SB95 takes too much effort to clear doubles and doesn't get too much amplitude/air time. Also fun to just get sketchy on nearly bald tires, cause I'm too lazy to replace 'em and I think they help it go fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Bike parks typically have trails for all types of riders. A 575, esp the newer ones with the beefy ASR7 chainstays, and big fork up front should handle 90+% of the likes of Mammoth and Big Bear, and I consider that a conservative figure. Not sure about Northstar or maybe Trestle, if you are planning either, but I imagine they are well designed enough to be just as accommodating. Just make sure you select some good tires.

Dedicated DH bike is more for when you do some DH races and want to move up from beginner class, IMO. You can do Fontana beginner class on anything. Sea Otter would be even easier.

SB66 doesn't really match the ASR7 at what the ASR7 does best, but it's very good all around. The SB95 is more like the 29 flavor of SB66... both very capable and able to outclass your 575. The 66c, on the other hand, is a step above both the alloy 66 and 95, opening up it to the epic high mileage adventures you might have opted to choose the 95 for. 95 has those cheater wheels though, so if you are walking stuff on your 26", and want an edge that helps you ride it, the 29er wheels with good geo might help.

If you want to upgrade, and got the bennies in the bank, SB66c is probably *the bike* to beat. If you insist on 29, see the Intense Spider 29 Comp (new carbon version). ASR7 is just an inexpensive mid-range playbike right now, but plenty of memories to be had on one due to it sort of being niche and with a fun personality. Spider 29 Comp has very similar geo to the SB95, is lighter by 2 lbs in frame alone, not that much more expensive, is better behaved when hammering out of the saddle. Those are my two high end picks, but there's plenty of choices if you don't wanna spend 2800 to 3100 on a frame, considering you prob paid less than 2500 for your complete 575 on sale.

I have a SB95 and ASR7. SB95 is basically so capable, I don't ride the ASR7 for anything but jumps, drops, and rocks, cause the SB95 takes too much effort to clear doubles and doesn't get too much amplitude/air time. Also fun to just get sketchy on nearly bald tires, cause I'm too lazy to replace 'em and I think they help it go fast.
    Thanks for the info.... I will just build a sb95 to compliment my 575..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Go back a few pages to see my built (white frame) w/ the CCDB Air

Again, I use the Bike mostly for all-mtn and enduro-like rides, keep a good pace w/ friends riding lighter bikes, and the Fox RP23 felt better only when pedaling strong on flat terrain or long climbs out of the saddle (w/ the pro-pedal swicht on).

If you are looking to the Fox for pedal efficiency, think again if the ARS7 is your right bike. I'd go for a 575 or SB66. The ASR7 best pic is the CCDB Air.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Thanks for the info.... I will just build a sb95 to compliment my 575..
    Have you had significant time on a 29er? I had one and like many others, just hated it! Sure it rolled a bit faster in a straight line but they turn real lazy and feel goofy in the air! There is a great write up on the home page at Mountain bike news, photos, videos and events - Pinkbike comparing 29,27.5 & 26, 29 came in a distant last! Instead of having 2 bikes a cheaper alternative is to have 2 different setups for one bike! A 7 or 66 with a coil shock & beefier tires for FR/DH duties & a air shock with lighter tires & maybe even a different wheelset for the XC/AM days! The 7 can do so much more than your 575 and a frame can be had for well under $1000! Tough to beat that! Funnest bike I have ever owned, period!

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast