Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Looks good!!! Is that in So. Cal? Looks fun! How do you like the 180 fork?
    Hey , thanks , not really, this is in Santiago , Chile ... pretty far away than SoCal

The 140/180 Fox Talas 36 is really sweet riding , really a very nice fork that absorbs anything .... min. front rotor is however 203 mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caloy7 View Post
    Hello all, just wanted to drop a quick question, I'm a semi new owner of a asr-7 (2011 model), it just turned one year old this month, I've been easy on it and haven't put it to any kind of abuse yet.
    It's a great ride and all but I have something that developed in the rear tire, it's making some kind of ticking or clicking sound, as I pedal faster the ticking gets faster, I brought it to my lbs and a tech had a look, he couldn't seem to figure out where it's coming from, he suggested it might be the wheel touching something in the triangle, I told him it might be the brakes or the hub he didn't think so, was wondering if anyone here seen this before. Thanks in advanced.
    What Size Tire are you running? Even if it is a little oversize it may cause rubbing. Mine are 2.40" and anything greater will be pretty tight - pending tread pattern of course.

Do you have a stand perhaps to mount the bike into and give the cranks a spin, then you may check for the sound.

Do you hear the sound only when cornering hard - is there any play in your Rim or Hub Bearings? Can you move the wheel easily side to side by hand?

You can put some masking tape (Not Duct Tape) inside the swingarm inline with the tire. Maybe difficult with the wide tires, but after a ride you may see if there are any rubs visible on the tape.

Have you looked over your rear swingarm, check for any signs of cracks (Paint Chipped, any sort of aluminum particles that may show from wear, hairline cracks etc.) Check the welds too!

Clean the back of the bike really well to include the swingarm mount on the front triangle. Let it dry and if need be use an LED Flashlight and shine it over the surface (a crack will catch the light and you will see the irregularity in the shadow).

What color is your rear swingarm - the lighter colors will show the cracks easier if there are any, and the "aluminum particle dust" will show easier on the dark colors.

Just be careful, because if the swingarm is cracked (Worse Case) you dont want to be out riding and have it fail! You may get hurt, or if not you are going to be pushing / carrying your bike back to the Car / Truck.

Hope this helps a bit.

Picture Unrelated
    Hello all, just wanted to drop a quick question, I'm a semi new owner of a asr-7 (2011 model), it just turned one year old this month, I've been easy on it and haven't put it to any kind of abuse yet.
    It's a great ride and all but I have something that developed in the rear tire, it's making some kind of ticking or clicking sound, as I pedal faster the ticking gets faster, I brought it to my lbs and a tech had a look, he couldn't seem to figure out where it's coming from, he suggested it might be the wheel touching something in the triangle, I told him it might be the brakes or the hub he didn't think so, was wondering if anyone here seen this before. Thanks in advanced.
    Adding to dr's questions, do you only hear the sound when you're pedaling or does the sound also happen when you are coasting?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I have a new annoying sound too. Figured it out after two rides... I over tightened my spokes when I trued my wheel :/

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for all the replies, yeah the bike's pretty new (2011-black and white) I haven't put any abuse on it yet except for occasional curb jumps, so a crack on the swingarm would surprise me.
    The sound only started like a couple weeks ago, it happens when freewheeling and pedaling, its there when cornering and riding straight, my tires are high rollers, when I took it to a shop near my house the tech put it on his work stand and spun the cranks fast, no noise there, I told him only when a rider's on it, it makes the clicking noise. What I'll do is bring to the shop I bought it from, their also an authorized Yeti dealer so I'm hoping they'll figure this out, kinda bummed that a yr old bike that's never gone through abuse starts getting these issues. Thanks again you guys.

Picture Unrelated
    Thanks for all the replies, yeah the bike's pretty new (2011-black and white) I haven't put any abuse on it yet except for occasional curb jumps, so a crack on the swingarm would surprise me.
    The sound only started like a couple weeks ago, it happens when freewheeling and pedaling, its there when cornering and riding straight, my tires are high rollers, when I took it to a shop near my house the tech put it on his work stand and spun the cranks fast, no noise there, I told him only when a rider's on it, it makes the clicking noise. What I'll do is bring to the shop I bought it from, their also an authorized Yeti dealer so I'm hoping they'll figure this out, kinda bummed that a yr old bike that's never gone through abuse starts getting these issues. Thanks again you guys.
    Don't stress too much about it, there could be any number of things causing it that come with normal wear and tear. If you truly can't find it, make sure you check the pin joint on the rims; if the pin loosens up it can click as the wheel rotates. Hopefully though, the shop will work it out.

mtbr member
    Like the previous poster stated, don't sweat it too much, and don't get disheartend. I am sure the tech will figure it out. Ask him to take it for a spin in the lot - while you are standing by, so that both of you can confirm you hear the noise. The ideas that I threw out were just all basically worst case scenario.

For what its worth mine creaks when I really get into the Pedals - but I know its the crank being stressed under load, and I am ok with it as its nothing major.

But let us know what you or the shop may find out - and enjoy your ASR-7

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone care to recommend a front derailer with sram x9 front shifter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-imag0586.jpg  

Last edited by no1000; 09-30-2012 at 11:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by no1000 View Post
    Here's mine. Anyone care to recommend a front derailer with sram x9 front shifter?
    I love my XTR front der with my seam xo shifter.

-James Dean

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Today on an after office ride my 13 year old stole my ASR7 .... he loves it !! (YETI should have love it , made a big error in killing it....)

jddist
    May 2008
    Here are a couple of things to try.

1) put a drop of chain lube one each spoke nipple so it goes into the rim. It could be a spoke that is making the noise.
    2) put a drop of chain lube one each spoke where it goes through the hub.
    3) Take the chain off and coast it around to see if it still makes the noise.It is much easier to here it without the freehub clicking
    4) This is a tough one due to the 12mil axel, but try a different wheel to see if it goes away.
    5) If it happens mostly when pedaling take the rear wheel off, clean the axle real good and reinstall the wheel and don't forget to tighten down the axle pinch bolts. I am constantly getting a creaking that is coming from the rear axle.

Hope this helps

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by no1000 View Post
    Anyone care to recommend a front derailer with sram x9 front shifter?
    I've always been happy with XT when it comes to front shifting duties.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Ok guys, I havnt touched my granny ring at all in the last year and the last 100,000 feet of climbing. And after blowing apart a xt derailer and chain, I figure while I am replacing the derailer, I figure I might as well take off my front shifter and derailer if I don't need it..

So what are you all running for chain guides on your 1x10 7's?

I am trying to decide if I want to keep my bash ring or not. I really like the look of the 1x10 with a full guide and no bash ring.. But looking at my mine I have on there, I have used it a lot. What say you guys?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was going to run the MRP Mini G2 SL but then I decided to sell my ASR7 frame to build a DH bike. I run the MRP Lopes SL on my ASR5 which is the same thing without the taco bash and love it. The new DH bike is getting the full Micro G2/spiderless Bling Ring setup.

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    I would also recommend the Mini G2 SL, got to have some bash protection. Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | MINI G2 SL
    2011 Yeti ASR7 Custom Freeride build
    http://forums.mtbr.com/7868497-post42.html

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    I would also recommend the Mini G2 SL, got to have some bash protection. Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | MINI G2 SL
    I actually think I am going to go LG1+ or wait for the new MRP guide to come out.

I like the look of the exposed chain guide as apposed to hiding it behind a bash. And being that this is a trail bike for me, I shouldn't be taking huge hits to the taco to worry about damaging ISCG tabs on my frame.

mtbr member
    Question:
    I'm running triple slx crank but as a double (XO shifter and XTR derailleur). Everything works well, but I'm wanting an XO crank. Can I get the OEM SRAM double crank and still put on my outside bashguard?

Question 2:
    If I decide to end up running a single up front, can I:
    A. Turn the OEM SRAM double into a single?
    B. What kind of bashguard with chain guide can I run? (Links please )

-James Dean

mtbr member
    Running 2013 Sram X9 26/39T cranks. Does anybody know if there is a bash guard or chain guide that will fit? I've been looking, but no luck so far.

Trail Ninja
    E-mail Yeti for fit. There are dual guides + bash out there, like the e-13 TRS+ dual and the MRP 2X (AKA Truvativ XO or X Guide). No guarantee that they'd fit though.

There's also the Bionicon C-Guide and the Clutch Derailleurs, but that doesn't help ya when you stay on the trail a bit late at night and decide to go up the mtn for one last run (without lights) and can barely see while ripping down the descent and go over rocks and one happens turn your big ring into a bashguard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbane View Post
    Running 2013 Sram X9 26/39T cranks. Does anybody know if there is a bash guard or chain guide that will fit? I've been looking, but no luck so far.
    I ran into the same problem with my SRAM setup only I'm running a 42t big ring. This came out recently still trying to decide if I need it.

Blackspire - Defender 120BCD 2X | Blackspire

Trail Ninja
    Edit: Disregard original message.

That bashguard may be that thick at its thickest point, but how thick is it the arms leading to the bolts? If it's super thin there, that's gonna be an $80 useless piece of crap after 1 solid hit. You can buy an XX 42t chainring for $80.

gio80
    Nov 2010
    hi, i intend to make an upgrade on my 7. i need a new shock and i'm thinking for the rockshox rc3, dhxair or the new rp23 cdt. The 7 is my do it all bike so i need to pedal up.I am leaning towards the rc3 but i don't know which tune.what do you guys think

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gio80 View Post
    hi, i intend to make an upgrade on my 7. i need a new shock and i'm thinking for the rockshox rc3, dhxair or the new rp23 cdt. The 7 is my do it all bike so i need to pedal up.I am leaning towards the rc3 but i don't know which tune.what do you guys think
    I'm 205lbs and I do 90% xc and 10% am/dh. I used the rp23 and hated it. I switched to a Fox DHX Air 5.0 and LOVED IT! I loved it so much actually I ordered the 2012 so I can get the kashima coating to match my fork. My new one came in yesterday, so I'll be putting it on my bike Saturday

Edit: If you want my Fox DHX air 5.0 I'll sell it to you. They sell on pinkbike.com for 225-275 all day. It has no scratches and is ready to ride. It has about 400-500 miles on it (I do 8-12 miles per ride, 3x a week. I got it in May.) For a fellow 7er I'll sell it to you for $200 shipped.

-James Dean

gio80
    Nov 2010
    mattyrides07 thanks for the reply,.i am 170lb and i do 70% am/fr and 30% xc. I live in Greece-Europe {too rocky trails} so buying from america is out of the question because of the tolls.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    If I wasn't a broke college student right now I would jump all over that for my 7.I really need to get a new shock to replace my rp23.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast