Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Took her out for her devirginizing ride today! It was super windy along the bluff... tons of hike a biking... and ran into a moose!

The dhx 5 is a MUST have for bigger riders like me. I needed to add more air in piggy back resevior (to 180). But after some dialing I made before riding today I needed no other adjustments to it... yet

I made the fatal mistake of not trying out my new mavic shoes before getting out to the trailhead. I didn't put the spacer underneath the brass, so I couldn't really clip in. The trail was SUPER rolly, so I NEEDED to be clipped in for the climbs.

I also decided I HATE the single mount for my brakes/shifters. I'm going to have to split them up because I kept nailing my thumb knuckles on the shifters.

Other than the crazy 50mph wind, it was a fun time. I can't wait to get more saddle time in. The trailhead is only 6 miles even from my house, so getting to the trail head is WAY more close than the 20+ minute drive when I was in Vegas.

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1336610576248.jpg  

ASR-7 Build Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1336610595286.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oh, and I must add one more thing- I'm coming from a 27 pound Ellsworth Moment. That bike is the most efficient bike I've ever been on. Today I was quite impressed with the performance of the yeti. This bike will be way more fun than the Ellsworth!

-James Dean

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    I became "that Guy" today... after my 3rd ride this week I washed my bike to clear away all the mud/dirt/grass. BUT what made me that Guy is I cleaned EVERY inch of my bike LOL

Do any of you have a problem with your front derailluer housing getting extra slack under the bottom bracket?

-James Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-7 Build Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1337302126250.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice lookin Yeti!!!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mattyrides07;9322675]

Do any of you have a problem with your front derailluer housing getting extra slack under the bottom bracket? /QUOTE]

Great you got to take her out for a decent ride, the way it sounds. How you like the DHX shock sofar? I know its a bit early to ask, but I am seriously considering replacing the RP23.

Also as far as the slack, I had that happen a lot, at first I though it was from the suspension, yet I think the cable drifts in the guides - I solved the "Cable Creep" on mine by getting some shrink tubing - don't ask what size I can not recall. I shrunk the tubing around the cable (after aligning the cable and the amount of slack) where the cable is held by the cable guides. I no longer have the "Cable Creep"!

Just as a side note - before I came to the shrink wrap / tubing I used small zip ties before and after each cable guide.

Hope this helps

-Maurice

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=drbelleville;9346980]
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyrides07 View Post

Do any of you have a problem with your front derailluer housing getting extra slack under the bottom bracket? /QUOTE]

Great you got to take her out for a decent ride, the way it sounds. How you like the DHX shock sofar? I know its a bit early to ask, but I am seriously considering replacing the RP23.

-Maurice
    I rode nearly everyday last week. The DHX 5.0 is A MUST HAVE over the rp23... especially if you're a heavier rider. It climbs well, and have yet to bottom it out on the quick rooty dh and small 4' drops (with transitions) I've done. I'm ABSOLUTELY in love with the bike but the bike is heavy and overkill for our trails here. Im thinking about shortening the front travel by an inch... the bike is also heavier than I'd like. I wish now I would've gotten the sb66...

-James Dean

Trail Ninja
    I have a DHX Air 5.0 on mine too. Pretty much changed it from a long travel trail bike to more of a freeride bike, but still pedals well, which I what I use it (try to, at least) for anyways.

My bike is under 31 lbs with boat anchor pedals and tires, dropper post, etc. Doesn't seem all that heavy to me, considering the competition. Lightest 7 inch bike I've ridden.

I think my EX1750 wheels and the the Fat Albert Triple Compound tires help, but this bike seems to get up to speed ridiculously fast on the downs (vs Reign X0, Scratch, Stinky, Flatline Park, etc. and my XC bikes), yet feels natural. Brake checks usually led to coming up short and heavy on other bikes, but on the 7, I really need to feather the brakes else I go flying way further than I expect. Had a nasty faceplant due to it once, coming in hot (still, even after trying moderate my speed better; totally overshot the downslope the last attempt), and wound up on a collision course with someone in the way of my landing and exit path.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 05-28-2012 at 02:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was gonna say, your faceplant might have had less to do with your brake control, and more to do with that dude just wanted to hang out there.

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    SimpleMind- I am sure that every ASR7 uses 135mm rear spacing. if you have different model and were just asking about wheelset, a lot of 135mm wheel sets can be converted to 142mm. most conversion kits only cost about $15. I use SunRingle charger pros. I have been pretty happy with them, light weight. look great. Tubeless. I sometimes wish I had a stiffer heavy duty wheelset for all the DH I do, but the chargers have held up so far to my 220# weight and lots of runs at Trestle bike park, Sol Vista and Moab. I am considering getting some Azonic Outlaws to abuse while I ride DH parks and keep the chargers for trailing riding when I have to pedal.

mtbr member
    From today's ride-

-James Dean

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    SimpleMind- I am sure that every ASR7 uses 135mm rear spacing.
    On page 4 of The Owners Manual it staes the "The rear dropouts use a 142mm spacing with a 12mm axle". This is for the 2010 model, but the same is true for each, I believe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyrides07 View Post
    From today's ride-
    [/IMG]

-James Dean
    Moose cow? Awsome! Where?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Moose cow? Awsome! Where?
    Mamma moose with her BABY calf... like baby baby calf. My dog and I were Climbing this steep hill at Beer Can Lake and she started running over to it. As the mamma stood THAT'S when I saw the calf and yelled for my dog. My dog immediately came to me. When I realized the mamma was cautious and not wanting to fight we stopped and took their picture. Our second lap around and they were in the same place we first saw them. Mom started to raise her back end as we approched, but after realizing it was us again (and that we're not a threat) mom laid right back down. Baby moose is no more than 2 weeks old.

-James Dean

jddist
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    On page 4 of The Owners Manual it staes the "The rear dropouts use a 142mm spacing with a 12mm axle". This is for the 2010 model, but the same is true for each, I believe.
    The manual was incorrect. It is 135x12.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    The manual was incorrect. It is 135x12.
    I'm curious why mine measures (with calipers) 142mm?

Have you actually measured yours? Maybe we can start a poll!
    Remember," if the hub fits, you must convict"!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    SimpleMind- I am sure that every ASR7 uses 135mm rear spacing.
    On page 4 of The Owners Manual it states the "The rear dropouts use a 142mm spacing with a 12mm axle". This is for the 2010 model, but the same is true for each, I believe.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 05-30-2012 at 10:02 PM.

jddist
    May 2008
    I haven't measured it but when I got mine I called Yeti to ask them what the rear end was and they said it was 135 and not 142 as stated in the manual.

mtbr member
    istvisinet I believe you, maybe the 142X12 is a special order or freak of nature. Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    I called yeti when I got mine because my 135 deemax was wrong.... I have a 2011 yeti with 142x12 rear thru axle.

-James Dean

mtbr member
    Nice to know I'm not hallucinating on this one!

jddist
    May 2008
    So you all got me thinking because I have a 2010, but broke the rear triangle and Yeti replaced it with a 2011where the rear dir cable routes through the chain stay instead of on top of it. Made me think that possibly they changed things for 2011, even though my 135 wheel fits like a glove.

I just got off the phone with an R&D guy at Yeti to get this cleared up and here is what he said. All the 7 rears were 135, except for a very very very select few at the very end of production that were 142, but he did not think any actually made it out to the market place. The only ones that were 142 were a completely different axle type, same as the new 575 142x12 and will have the chip system with the 12mil quick release. All 7s with a standard 12mil through axle that inserts through the non-drive side and threads into the drive-side Dir hanger and has a pinch bolt on the non-drive side to secure it are 135. He confirmed that the manuals were incorrect.

Just thought I would pass this along. Probably add more confusion to the subject, but isn't that what these groups are all about. HA HA! Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    So you all got me thinking because I have a 2010, but broke the rear triangle and Yeti replaced it with a 2011where the rear dir cable routes through the chain stay instead of on top of it. Made me think that possibly they changed things for 2011, even though my 135 wheel fits like a glove.

I just got off the phone with an R&D guy at Yeti to get this cleared up and here is what he said. All the 7 rears were 135, except for a very very very select few at the very end of production that were 142, but he did not think any actually made it out to the market place. The only ones that were 142 were a completely different axle type, same as the new 575 142x12 and will have the chip system with the 12mil quick release. All 7s with a standard 12mil through axle that inserts through the non-drive side and threads into the drive-side Dir hanger and has a pinch bolt on the non-drive side to secure it are 135. He confirmed that the manuals were incorrect.

Just thought I would pass this along. Probably add more confusion to the subject, but isn't that what these groups are all about. HA HA! Enjoy.
    So I wonder how my 142 built i9 hub actually fit my frame???

-James Dean

jddist
    May 2008
    Good Question. When it is all said and done there isn't much difference between the two. 7mm isn't much.

mtbr member
    So, I realized a couple things today about my asr7...

1. I NEEDED to fix my shifters! Since the build, I put the direct mount xo shifters to my xo brakes. I couldn't hold onto the bars without my thumbs hitting the edge of the shifter. After yesterday's ride I decided I'd had enough... but I didn't do anything until after today's ride. So tonight I went to seperate the mounts and figured out that... bum bum bum bummmmm... I had them on BACKWARDS!!!! LMAO I flopped the mounts around and walla- they work!

2. Now I needed to adjust my trigger for my dropper seat and WALLA! I have it set up just over the brake lever for easy access. It doesn't seem to get in the way either...

And 3. I realized why I'm washing my bike more than my previous bikes.... I don't live in a desert anymore! The climate here makes mud so my bike is caked every couple rides.

This bike is awesome and I've found my riding passion again! This bike is TOTAL overkill for our trail system here but I still love it! I'm now a YETI man!

-James Dean

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast