mtbr member
    Sep 2005

ASR 5C broken cable guide mount.

Hi Guys,

I've managed to break the the lowest cable guide mount of the downtube of my ASR5C. I think a stick went under the cables while i was riding.

The nut that mounts to the carbon has come loose.

What are my options for fixing this?

Are there after market guides that i could use ?

Thanks for your help

Matt

mtbr member
    PM sent

Aside from using Zip Ties, you may have to see what Yeti may be able to do.

For the Zip Ties, here is a link to a thread here on MTBR: Zip tie as cable-guide trick

Also a Well Nut might work - see attached pic. Might require some other sized hardware?

Sounds like the Epoxy of the backing "nut / mount" came loose.

Hope this helps until you can call yeti.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR 5C broken cable guide mount.-wellnuts.png  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for your help. I'll see how I go zip tie while I talk to Yeti about options

Matt

mtbr member
    Just fixed exactly the same thing on an ASR 5. Just drilled the old nut out and extracted the bits through the head tube. Then used an alloy rivnut (M4 inside 6mm OD - just google it). Fitted it with a bit of care using a makeshift tool. Cost me less than $5 in total!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHwick View Post
    Just fixed exactly the same thing on an ASR 5. Just drilled the old nut out and extracted the bits through the head tube. Then used an alloy rivnut (M4 inside 6mm OD - just google it). Fitted it with a bit of care using a makeshift tool. Cost me less than $5 in total!
    That is a great solution, and I would have never thought of that, but I think in a carbon frame that may not be ideal as it may stress the carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    That is a great solution, and I would have never thought of that, but I think in a carbon frame that may not be ideal as it may stress the carbon.
    As long as the outer hole is 6mm (ie. take care when removing the old insert), it'll take very little force to hold the new alloy rivnut in place. Make sure the plate on your home made tool is a snug fit around a long M4 bolt and only tighten the rivnut until it sits snugly in the frame without spinning - that's all it needs.
    The carbon is pretty thick (2.5 or 3mm maybe) on the underside of the downtube so it shouldn't be fragile.

www.yetifan.com
    Take it to your bike shop, they can fix the inserted nut.

Had to get 2 replaced on my carbon after the bolts seized.

It's a straight forward repair. It's not a big deal.

Yeti sells the hose guide sets too, so that's an easy fix.