mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New question here. ASR-5 vs. SB-95 for Western North Carolina

The only MTB I have in my stable right now is a steel, rigid, 1x10. It's a great bike (if you're into that sort of thing), but the trails here in Western North Carolina have me wanting a full sus.

What I want is something that's fun to ride--fast. I know that's pretty vague, but I was hoping someone might have some insight that would help me choose between the ASR-5 and the SB-95.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Why not a SB-66? The faster you go the better it performs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That is another possibility, I suppose. I have always been an XC kind of guy, and 6" seems like a lot of travel. (See the description of my current mountain bike, above. The only full suspension bike I've owned was a 4" travel Ellsworth Truth...damn near 10 years ago.)

The "All Mountain" designation turns me off a little bit, although I'm not sure if it should. As long as it's not a chore to ride it to the top of the mountain, I'm sure it would be fun on the way down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would say the ASR would suit you better than the ASR-5. The 5 is a fun no doubt, but sort of like a hyper thoroughbred. The ASR climbs better than the ASR5, and has more XC type angles and is a bit plusher.

mtbr member
    I just made the switch from a hardtail to the SB-95. I think it is a perfect blend of x-country and all mountain. It climbs incredibly well for any bike let alone one with 5 inches of travel. I ride in New England and I find it is perfect for the terrain around here. It rips on the descents. I test-rode the AS-R 5, SB-66 and the 95 was the best of the bunch by a long shot (for me, of course).

You won't be disappointed with any Yeti you pick as long as your riding matches the bike.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Well, I might can help as I have owned an ASR 5 and now a 66 Carbon, and I live 50 minutes from Pisgah in WNC, and that is where I ride. The 66C is by far the best bike I have ever ridden in Pisgah. It is as light as my Asr 5, but it honestly does everything better, and I liked my 5 a lot.
    You are worried about 6 inches of travel, but the pedaling aspect of the frame is what is the most impressive. Pedaling up and over all the rocks and roots in Pisgah, the bike just eats it up and keeps moving forward. And of course it rails all the DH stuff. I can't comment on the 29er as I do not ride them, but I would bet either the 66 or 95 would be a safe pick.
    SEI Racing