Thread: ASR-5 sizing

mtbr member

ASR-5 sizing

I'm starting to buy the parts to build up my dream bike, a Yeti ASR-5, and am curious about the frame sizing.

I'm 5' 6" tall, 170, and the frame size chart puts me on a Small. I've only ridden HT's (since the early 90s) and most of them are sized by downtube length. I'm almost always a 16".

I prefer small frames and would rather have it be a bit small than a bit large. I'm a pretty compact guy!

So everything puts me at a small except one thing: I've read that Yeti's tend to run very small. I'm relatively close to the border between small and medium so I'm wondering if medium might be the better fit.

Thoughts on ASR-5 sizing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am always in the middle in Yeti's sizing. At 5'11" I ride a Medium, older 575 and ASR 7. I too want to build up a ASR 5 and am going with the Medium. I feel Yeti's run big not small.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

> /dev/null 2&>1
    My large asr5 is a little on the bigger side . . . long top tube. I think its a response to the short stem movement. Not sure if that is also true for the size S though.

Comp cyclist has all the geos tabulated, its a great way to research and compare many bikes at a time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am your exact size and have asr 5c in small w 65 mm stem. Wish I got a medium. I would get medium can always shorten stem if need be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I've read that Yeti's tend to run very small.
    Actually the opposite -- Yeti's run large.
    For example, a medium ASR 5C (which I have) with a 140mm fork has 23.7 top tube and a 44.2 wheelbase. That's considerable longer than a typical medium.
    The SB 66 even longer -- 24.1 top tube on a medium.
    It's actually one of the many reasons I keep riding Yeti frames. The long top tube allows you to run a very short stem and the wheelbase makes for an incredibly stable ride.
    I've found the sizing chart on Yeti's site to be a good reference point. For your size I'd definitely stay on the small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Actually the opposite -- Yeti's run large.
    For example, a medium ASR 5C (which I have) with a 140mm fork has 23.7 top tube and a 44.2 wheelbase. That's considerable longer than a typical medium.
    The SB 66 even longer -- 24.1 top tube on a medium.
    It's actually one of the many reasons I keep riding Yeti frames. The long top tube allows you to run a very short stem and the wheelbase makes for an incredibly stable ride.
    I've found the sizing chart on Yeti's site to be a good reference point. For your size I'd definitely stay on the small.
    I took the tape measure to my current HT and the Yeti's effective top-tube is about an inch longer. The standover height is about an inch taller. So the Small is very close to, and slightly larger than my current bike...definitely need the small. The medium would be far too big!

Thanks all!