Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

ASR 5 Shock pressure?

So I purchased a ASR 5 c from Go Ride last week and I am struggling a bit with the rear shock setup. I am 175-180lbs and have increased the shock pressure from 180 to 200 PSI but I cannot seem to rid myself of the excessive peddle bob, with Propedal on in the firm position (#3). The movement is so great, I have not been able to complete rides I usually do on my rigid single speed. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Randall,

Transitioning from a rigid (especially) single speed to a 5" travel bike will take a bit of time. You are used to having to put out a lot of torque to turn over the SS and being rigid it didn't matter much that you need to pedal in squares to keep a SS moving on steeps. I rode the ASR5 for about 1.5 years (lots of miles) and usually rode the shock about 5 psi under body weight, which was still less sag than recommeded. Yeti recommeds 10% psi under body weight. My guess is that you are running too little sag and that is allowing the bike to stand up each pedal stroke.

What to do:

1. Get dressed in riding gear (including pack if you wear one) and having a friend help you set the sag to 25%. If the bike is still more active than you like then try 20%, but if you go any less than that you will not be in the right pedaling section of the suspension.

2. Work on using your gears to spin on climbs. I ride rigid all winter (29er & Pugsley) and when Spring comes along I can't wait to get on my FS bikes, but the first few rides do feel weird until I get my FS riding technique back.

Good Luck!
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Thanks Scott for the quick reply! I am a part time roadie as well as an endurance mountain biker and I target a 90 RPM cadence when cycling (yes I use a cadence sensor on my mountain bike...LOL), even on my SS. When my buddies are standing to climb a hill, I am in the saddle spinning past them. So I feel that I have a fairly smooth pedal cadence.

On yesterday's 45 mile ride (only able to complete 28 miles) I had the sag set at 10-12MM (Yeti manual suggested 5-10MM (typo?)), the single track was semi smooth with rolling hills, and I bottomed out the rear shock several times. At mile 20 (felt like mile 40) I increased the pressure to stiffen the shock and to prevent the shock from hitting bottom. The bike felt like it lacked snap accelerating out of the turns and I was moving backwards when sprinting against my buddies. I do believe I should have increased the rebound rate but I should not have blown thru 5 inches of travel on a trail this smooth.

Thanks again for any help/suggestions....

mtbr member
    Maybe I was running too much sag, according to the online manual 20% = .300" (7.62MM) and 30% = .400" (10.16MM). I will focus more on the sag and less on the PSI during tomorrow's short ride and report back. Below is the link to the 2011 ASR5 setup manual....

Thanks again...

http://yeticycles.com/11_Support/Med...alASR5C_LR.pdf

Cholla Magnent
    Yeah sounds like you should focus on the % of the sag compared to the available travel of the shock. Adjust PSI to meet that. For reference I just got an ASR 5 alloy and have my sag adjusted to 25 percent. I have never felt the need for propedel and have not felt the bottom of the shock yet, even after going off a 2 foot drop. If it still bottoms out and has excessive pedal bob after you adjust the sag correctly there is probably something wrong with it.

Good luck.
    Cholla Magnet

mtbr member
    Something seems a bit off. If you are running body weight or more in your shock you should be at 20% or less sag (on flat ground in full gear), unless:
    1. You wear a lot of gear or a heavy pack
    2. Your shock pump is not accurate - quite common
    3. Something is wrong with the shock
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Not knocking the Online Guys But if you went to a LBS the Bike would have been set up right from the go, This is why i Bought mine from Adventure Cycles ( Adventure Cycling Aurora CO Specialized Orbea Yeti ) They set the bike up and I was enjoying the Bike at Winter Park the next day, I Think That Yeti's Should be sold in LBS Vs online so people get it right the first time ! The Online dealers are LBS in there state and should only sell them that way !
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeti should force their dealers to stock them and not make the customer pay extra because they claim them to be special order only.

Cholla Magnent
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    Not knocking the Online Guys But if you went to a LBS the Bike would have been set up right from the go, This is why i Bought mine from Adventure Cycles ( Adventure Cycling Aurora CO Specialized Orbea Yeti ) They set the bike up and I was enjoying the Bike at Winter Park the next day, I Think That Yeti's Should be sold in LBS Vs online so people get it right the first time ! The Online dealers are LBS in there state and should only sell them that way !
    Not sure about Yeti forcing anything, LBS vs online but it is the consumer choice. I personally chose to go to my LBS, though I know I am going to pay more in the price. But when you buy mailorder (online) that is the risk. You get the bike with no support locally. If there is any issue you have to ship it, or wait for parts to ship. My LBS sells lots of Yeti's and knows the ins and outs of the bike. The build up was great and they took the 45 min to an hour to setup the suspension for sag, rebound and desired dampaning.

To each their own. I hope the OG gets the issue resolved, right setup or replacement of part so they can get out there and enjoy their bike.
    Cholla Magnet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzar View Post
    My LBS sells lots of Yeti's and knows the ins and outs of the bike.
    It's awesome that you have a local shop knowledgeable in the Yeti suspension setup and design. I too would have purchased my Yeti locally if I had such a resource. The guys at Go Ride have been great to work with, are active in the forum, and have already provided me more information than my local (road) shop could. I am a believer in supporting shops that support the rider, the cycling community, and the sport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    @ OP: I had a similar experience. I was having to go way above the recommended psi to prevent saggy feeling. I'm probably around 200 fully kitted, and I am running between 210-220 psi. I thought perhaps something was wrong with my shock. I did have a brief exchange with Yeti, the upshot being that it is best to go on sag measurement. It is pretty finicky to set up, and I've found being just a bit off can make a huge difference. So keep experimenting and forget about psi.

mtbr member
    So the ASR5 has a 2" travel shock, are you sagging the bike at 25% (1/2" or 12.7MM)? The manual states that 20% sag is .30" (7.6MM), which would be correct for a 1.5" shock. So I believe there maybe an error in the manual. Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, I had the same question about the manual and their measurements (and Yeti never cleared it up for me). Anyways, I follow the manual for 25% sag, .375 inches, which is about 10mm. As I mentioned, it's usually about 210-220 psi to get that for me. I find that's the real sweet spot - eats up the bumps, yet I almost never use propedal (only on long gravel road climbs), and I am pretty sensitive to bobbing, am a bit of a masher etc. Until I got it set it up to my liking, I too was worried about saggy suspension, and was worried I had made a mistake not going with, for example, a dw link. But I've been very impressed since - it's a great combo of suspension and pedaling performance. My advice is just to experiment to where you find it working well - and remember what psi you have it at.

Cholla Magnent
    OP, did you ever get your rear shock dialed in?
    Cholla Magnet

mtbr member
    Between the weather and long hours at the office, I have not been able to ride. But I've charged my lights and I am riding tonight, regardless of how late I have to work

mtbr member
    Lots of good advice and tips here, thanks all.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member

I set the Yeti's sag at 20MMf/12.7MMr(1/2") and while it does not climb like a 4" cross country bike on the smooth trails/gravel roads, it does climb like a goat up the rough steep stuff. After a few tweaks on the fork/shock the bike is descending super also, but that is to expected from a Yeti. Per the o-ring on the fork I was only using 80% of it's 120MM of travel and I measured the O-Ring distance in the rear and it had moved only 1.75" of it's 2" of travel. I am going to adjust the sag until I get full travel from the fork and shock. I was descending some rough stuff and I should have bottomed out several times today.

So, what have I learned? The ASR5 truly shines on the rough technical terrain (with the correct sag), climbing or descending. I was surprised how well the rear wheel digs in and pushes forward on the steep climbs making short work of any wet roots or rocks. I was easily clearing climbs I have struggled with on my 29er hard tail. And the confidence one develops while descending with a longer travel bike it awesome and goes without saying, almost dangerous. The down side of the ASR5 is on the smooth "Groomed" trails/gravel roads, I am still getting the "Bob" here with Propedal in position #3....

I will post an update on the sag vs fork/shock travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    Other than model year closeout bikes, online Yeti dealers are required to advertise at full MSRP. I think most often the online dealer gets the sale because they are a stocking dealer or there just isn't a local dealer for a particular customer. In Randal NC's case he bought a used demo bike that was at a very good price.

As for Go-Ride.com and Yeti, we have been a Yeti dealer for over 10 years. I personally have owned many Yetis including 2011/2012 models (575, ASR5, Big Top, 303 RDH, and a new SB66). Members of my staff have also owned a number of Yeti's and we maintain a number of demos for both customer and staff use. I feel that our online Yeti customers get as good of customer service as our local Yeti customers.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    As for Go-Ride.com and Yeti, we have been a Yeti dealer for over 10 years. I personally have owned many Yetis including 2011/2012 models (575, ASR5, Big Top, 303 RDH, and a new SB66). Members of my staff have also owned a number of Yeti's and we maintain a number of demos for both customer and staff use. I feel that our online Yeti customers get as good of customer service as our local Yeti customers.
    As a recent customer, I totally agree with what Scott has posted. Before purchasing my Yeti from Go Ride I read several of Scott's post here in the forum and went shopping at my local (2hrs away) Yeti store. The local guys had never had a Yeti on the dirt and knew little about the suspension setup, they kept pushing me towards another bike (one I had owned before and was not happy with). As seen here, I posted my issue with the sag and Scott fired back with several suggestions. I support shops that support the rider and the cycling community. I believe Go Ride is doing this....

mtbr member

Update

Well the Propedal has stopped working completly so the shock has been sent off to Fox for warranty work. I will post a review once the new shock has been installed...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How did you know the Propedal had quit working. I never feel a huge difference between mine being on or off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTULaw View Post
    How did you know the Propedal had quit working. I never feel a huge difference between mine being on or off.
    The Propedal feature was working somewhat when I received it, but after a longer ride in the mountains it failed completely. There is no longer a difference between on/off with Propedal in the firmest position. This made those long gravel grinders even longer with the rear fully active. I was using more travel on the climbs than I was on the descents

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey Randall,

Have you gotten your shock back?, how does it feel?

I also have an ASR5c and I do not know if I have the correct pressure set, because using the firm propedal setting (3) I still get movement of the shock while climbing.

While on the open position, I do not feel it as plush as I would suppose, but maybe that comes from the fact that my point of comparison is a '07 575, which is "plusher", so I do not know if I am just wanting to feel the suspension as plush as with the 575.

Should it work this way? (having the firm Propedal position still allowing low speed compresion while climbing); or the 3 setting should almost "lock" the shock?

Anyway, the ASR5 is a great bike!, wish weekends were longer

Cheers!

Sawi

mtbr member
    The shock has not been returned yet. I'm assuming it's repair was delayed by the holidays. I will post my review once the bike is assemblied. Thanks

mtbr member
    Update, I talked to the Fox rep and the shock is on it's way. The notes on the complete rebuild stated that the Propedal was not functioning. I should have the Yeti back on the trail next weekend! Looking forward to it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast