mtbr member

ASR-5 chainstay abrasions from heels

I've got about a month on my brand new ASR-5 and am dismayed to see severe scratches on both chainstays where it appears my heels are hitting.

I don't think the scratches would be as bad as they are were it not for the fact that our trails have been extremely wet this year and I'm riding with a lot of mud and sand on my shoes soon after starting a ride.

But I'm surprised I'm hitting the chainstays often enough to cause such severe abrasions. Unprotected, I bet I would be into the actual carbon fiber in another month. I have small feet, size 7, and my cleats are aligned properly...is it normal for someone with small feet to have enough heel hits on the rear triangle to cause major abrasion?

I'm going to cover the abrasion spots with clear tape before it gets any worse but I'm curious if this is a common problem.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Have you had a bike fit done? You might think cleats are properly positioned, but the may be slightly off.

My SB has wear marks on both chain-stays from my heels, but it's Al, so not as much concern. And I have about 2,500 miles on it.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I had the same problem on an '11 575 and used tape to protect the chainstays. For other reasons, I switched from using eggbeaters to shimano trail pedals and the problem went away. I didn't take any measurements but I just thought the chainstay to center of the pedal distance must have been different between the crankbrothers and shimano.

mtbr member
    I also had this issue when I ran Eggbeaters. No issue with SPD.

Although I like a lot of float on my road bike, I don't seem to do well with a lot of float on my MTB.

Black electrical tape on a black rear triangle is a cheap option, works fine and you can't really even see it.

mtbr member

Although I like a lot of float on my road bike, I don't seem to do well with a lot of float on my MTB.

Black electrical tape on a black rear triangle is a cheap option, works fine and you can't really even see it.

mtbr member
    The wife had some issues running regular platform pedals, the scuffs were driving me crazy, they were on the lower and upper inline with where the heel of her foot would be. Decided to lightly wetsand the clear coat down to the scratches and scuffs, recleared it and applied some Kevlar clear tape, which is avaliable by sheet or roll, and can be found as Kevlar Sail Repair tape too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASR-5 chainstay abrasions from heels-chainstay-kevlar-tape.jpg  

ASR-5 chainstay abrasions from heels-asr5-chain-stay-scratches-2-.jpg  

ASR-5 chainstay abrasions from heels-asr5-chain-stay-scratches-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by melibokus View Post
    I had the same problem on an '11 575 and used tape to protect the chainstays. For other reasons, I switched from using eggbeaters to shimano trail pedals and the problem went away. I didn't take any measurements but I just thought the chainstay to center of the pedal distance must have been different between the crankbrothers and shimano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post

Interesting! I just went from CB to SPD's and i also find I'm not rubbing my heals on the chainstays much anymore. However, riding buds have mentioned that the SPDs are harder on the knees due to the lack of 'foot float' on the pedal.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just adjust cleat position so the shoe does not reach the chainstay. You will still have enough float. I had this issue on my SB95. Ergon TP-1 is a cleat tool that comes in handy when setting these angles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Get a roll of the helicopter tape. A Few brands of this are out there and it is pretty cheap considering how much a frame costs. After seeing what my seat stays on my old motolite looked like, I had applied the tape to my 5 before I even built it up. My rear tri looks brand new and hopefully will for a long time. I also have some nice deep scratches on the inside of my stays from debris and mud that has been caked onto the tires. Been damn wet here in ATL.