Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah I need to know too! I have medium. Elixir 5's SUCK. I rode today and I was getting turkey gobble and random whirring sound. I never have those issues with my SLX brakes that I have on my 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nerofinis View Post
    Anybody got an idea about brake hose length for a large asr5 front and rear. Ready to switch out the elixer 5 for a set of xt and will probably order pre bled. Thanks
    Just go with the length of your stock Elixer 5's give or take a bit if you like the way the lines are run and sit. I usually use a piece of fishing line, as it is fairly sturdy and does not give when pulled straight, which would change the measurement like regular string would. I run it along the line if I am not sure of the length, as you can attach it with some scotch tape. When I am done, I just measure the section of fishing line to get my length, that is if I did not know the length right offhand. Also that measurement is from the master cylinder outlet hose Fitting, all the way to the banjo bolt head - this is how I did it to retrofit braided lines made to order.

If not just call up Yeti in the morning, they might be able to tell you what they spec.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It is actually VERY easy to shorten the brake lines for shimano brakes. Did this myself when replacing the elixir 5s that came with my ASR5 with XTs.

Google "cutting shimano brake lines" and a shimano pdf should show up showing you how to do this (I would post the link but mtbr.com will not let me).

Took no more than 15 mins per brake, does not require bleeding the lines to do this.

nero
    Here is a picture of my 5 in it's current state. Recently updated 2x10 XT drive 38/26 front and 11/36 rear with shadow plus rear derailleur. I have about 140 miles on this setup and have yet to drop a chain and the bike is now virtually silent. Needless to say I am beyond stoked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-20121213_151324-005.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nerofinis what size frame is that?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice feedback @nerofinis, Santa has sourced me an XTR Shadow + rear mech to compliment my XT 2x10 (38/26) drivetrain. I was suffering with chain drop in fast, technical sections so I'm looking forward to seeing if it cures it.

nero
    6 feet tall, Large frame with a 50 mm stem.

nero
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post
    Nice feedback @nerofinis, Santa has sourced me an XTR Shadow + rear mech to compliment my XT 2x10 (38/26) drivetrain. I was suffering with chain drop in fast, technical sections so I'm looking forward to seeing if it cures it.
    Nice KOB, I am actually running a medium cage which shimano rates 35T capacity and my drive is 37T but it works well. If you decide to go with a medium cage be careful with chain length.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @nerofinis, yeah thanks, I was struggling to decide with what to go for in regards to mech length, GS (medium - 35T) or SGS (long - 41T). I read GS for 2x10 and SGS for 3x10. I also found the original bike receipt/bike spec and the shop had used an XT GS mech originally.

So I'll try and use the existing chain or at least match the chain length if replacing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Yeti ASR5 w/ x0

Have had this bike for about a year now. Awesome trail bike. Got it from Competitive Cyclist last November.

Full X0 +
    Sunline 745mm Bars
    Reverb Dropper
    MRP 2X chain guide
    XTR trail pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-yeti1.jpg  

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-yeti2.jpg  

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-yeti3.jpg  

Trail Murderer
    Aug 2011
    My Baby... And for sale. Building a SB66c and already regretting the sale of my ASR5c

After 1 climb on the 66c, I was missing the ASR... It truly has been the perfect trail bike for my local trails. It absolutely rips...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice to see more builds on the thread. Purposeful looking bike @cramey

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I posted the spec of my ASR5c on this thread way back in May but here is mine before it's first ride:

The only things changed since the photos were taken are the ODI Yeti grips for white ESI racer edge grips, the 142x12 chipset and maxle are now fitted and I've sourced an XTR Shadow+ rear mech.

It's currently hibernating and seeing out the UK winter so looking forward to riding it again in spring '13. Or whenever the trails decide to dry out

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My new 5C in action
    Fox Float 34 - 140mm
    E13 XCX crank 34t G ring
    E13 TRS guide
    Sram X9 drivetrain 1x10
    Avid Elixir 9 breaks 180mm Fr/Rr
    Easton Havco carbon bar - cut to 730mm
    Reverb dropper
    Chinese carbon rims laced to Hope Pro II EVO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-me.jpg  

nero
    Sweet bikes everybody! Kiwi mtber is that Fox a 160mm spaced down to 140mm? I did not think they made a 140mm 34. Either way how does the bike feel with the 34 in comparison to a 32 if you have had a chance to ride one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nerofinis View Post
    Sweet bikes everybody! Kiwi mtber is that Fox a 160mm spaced down to 140mm? I did not think they made a 140mm 34. Either way how does the bike feel with the 34 in comparison to a 32 if you have had a chance to ride one?
    @nerofinis i got my local Fox agents to drop the 34's to 140mm. Sorry only have 36's to compare, which i don't feel any differance with stiffness.

nero
    Quote Originally Posted by ejhorn View Post
    It is actually VERY easy to shorten the brake lines for shimano brakes. Did this myself when replacing the elixir 5s that came with my ASR5 with XTs.

Google "cutting shimano brake lines" and a shimano pdf should show up showing you how to do this (I would post the link but mtbr.com will not let me).

Took no more than 15 mins per brake, does not require bleeding the lines to do this.
    These just arrived at my front door.... can't wait to throw them on later tonight. Did you pick up the ice tech rotors also? If not how do the elixer rotors fare with the xt stoppers as i am thinking about passing on them for now. Cant test em out because its been raining here for the past three days....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-20121217_161426.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just got a set of those from Wiggle cycles in the UK. I installed them yesterday. Had to switch hoses from right to left and left to right. I guess they prefer to have the rear brake on the left. Anyway, it was pretty easy to do. Although i did have to bleed the brakes after all of the swapping and cutting.

I did not get the IceTech rotors. I want to see how the current Avid discs do. I did remove the avid discs and rough them up pretty good with sandpaper and a steel wire brush. I have to do the burn in procedure and then take them out.

nero
    Babu, any reason for using sandpaper on the rotors? Are the avid/xt pads made from a different compound or something? I have never had to sand rotors before when changing pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am assuming they are since they are different manufacturers. It is always a good idea to get the braking surface clean before burning in new pads.I want to say that the Shimano pads are resin and the Avid are semi metallic, but I could be wrong.

nero
    Quote Originally Posted by babu9000 View Post
    I am assuming they are since they are different manufacturers. It is always a good idea to get the braking surface clean before burning in new pads.I want to say that the Shimano pads are resin and the Avid are semi metallic, but I could be wrong.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have been using my XTs with elixir G3 rotors for about 200 miles. Have not had any problem with this combination (very good stopping power, no squeal etc.). Will probably swap out to the ice techs when the avids wear out but until then i see no reason to spend the extra ~100 bucks.

Prior to getting the XTs I had put ~200 miles on the G3 rotors with the stock Avid elixir 5s. Had lots of problems with the elixir 5 brakes. When I switched over to the XTs I did not sand down the old rotors, just gently wiped clean with some isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and then broke in the new breaks with ~15 good hard stops to burn in the new pads. Had no problems with this (and I am pretty picky about my bike stuff). Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering if spending the extra $100 on rotors was going to be worth it. I think I am going to take the same road you are and hold off on the IceTechs. I have heard people rave about them but in the end the braking surface is steel. I am sure the heat dissipation is better with the Shimano rotors, but I am not that hardcore, mostly XC/Trail.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thanks for all these build and photos shared.

just built my new ASR-5, cant wait to ride it this weekend!

mtbr member

first ride out today

Work in progress - what a fun bike

Inners with Ollie and Ed Dec 2012 by jamesfergie, on Flickr

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast