Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgfjd12 View Post
    Do you guys think is good or a tad small?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
    If your Lebron James and really want to ride a Yeti and this is the best you can do with an XL, yes, it is good to go. Otherwise, it's way too small for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post
    There are certainly a lot of spacers underneath the stem. I believe you should never have anymore than 30mm according to the manufacturers guidance.

It doesn't matter if I think it's good or small? It's whether you are comfortable riding it.

Apart from @hairstream is anyone else running a 'clutch' rear mech or dual chain guide?

Not sure whether to opt for a Shimano XT Shadow+ rear mech or E13 TRS+ chain guide.
    I have been running the XTR Shadow Plus, with no chain guide since the spring (on my ASR-7). Have yet to drop a chain! I ride technical trails with substantial drops, rolls and tech climbs, it it has performed flawlessly.
    Just my two cents.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cheers scarsandtears, I might see if my LBS can loan me one to demo before I decide which to buy. Although I hear good things about the Shadow+ mechs surely a chain guide close to the cranks would perform better.

That said, obviously a chain guide is an extra device were as a clutch mech is not.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's my build, first Yeti bike and lovin it
    FRAME - YETI ASR-5 FACTORY RP2 (142MM x 12MM AXLE)(SMALL)
    FORK - FOX 32 FLOAT 140 FACTORY FIT KASHIMA TS QR
    HEADSET -CRANECREEK)
    CRANKSET - SRAM XT (26-38) (BLACK) (175MM)
    FRONT DER - SRAM X9
    REAR DER - SRAM X9 10SPD
    SHIFTERS - SRAM X9 10SPD
    CASSETTE - SRAM 1070 10SPD (11-36)
    CHAIN - KMC 10SPD
    WHEELS - EASTON EA90 XC UST
    BRAKES/LEVERS - AVID
    HANDLEBAR - CRANKBROTHERS IODINE
    STEM - TRIVIATIV
    GRIPS - YETI LOCK-ON (BLACK)
    SEATPOST - JOPLIN 4S
    PEDALS - CRANKBROTHERS

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Asr 5

Here's mine!
    ASR 5 Alloy
    Fox F130, Fit RLC
    King wheels, 819 tubeless
    XX crank
    XX/XO shifters
    XO front/rear derailleurs
    Thomson stem/seatpost
    Easton EC70 bars
    XT M785 brakes
    WTB titanium rail seat, YETI logo
    Oury grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-imgp4597.jpg  

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-imgp4598.jpg  

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-imgp4599.jpg  

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-imgp4600.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Beautiful bike max_lombardy. I love the seat. Waiting for Yeti to start selling it on their website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Very Nice biult

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just got an ASR 5 (blue frame)... Anyone know the cheapest way to get the yeti drop out clips and Shimano axle? I'm putting a set of Shimano XT wheels on my ASR 5 with 142 x 12 hubs.. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-yeti.jpg  

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I need help. I bought a Medium 2012 Yeti ASR-5 C with RP23 rear shock.

I weight 210 lbs and the bike needs more propedal in the firmer setting.( the shock is setup to 210 psi, 20% sag, and bobs during climbs) I ride the bike in the firm propedal setting for everything. Any other setting is too soft.
    I am about to send the shock to Fox for revalving. The settings in my shock are boost valve 150 psi, rebound Medium, velocity tune F. Does anybody know if the large or extra large yeti have different shock settings?

Do you have any tune recommendations for a heavier aggressive rider like me?

The shock is close to my liking but during aggressive climbing, the shock has too much movement.

I appreciate any help.

The Propedal works good for lighter riders.

mtbr member
    "I weight 210 lbs and the bike needs more propedal in the firmer setting.( the shock is setup to 210 psi, 20% sag, and bobs during climbs) I ride the bike in the firm propedal setting for everything. "
    Just to make sure that, by the "firmer" setting in Propedal you have it on 3 aligned with the Propedal knob, correct?

Have you called or emailed the folks at Push by chance, and discussed what you are looking for? Aside from Fox they might be the next best resource.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I set the knob in the firmest setting. I called Fox and they can revalve for $85. Push is ok but the new fox shocks can be easily customizable by fox if you know what you want.
    I know some bike manufactures change the rear shock setting based on frame size because of the different rider weights.
    The propedal initial stiffness is not the same for 180lbs rider compared to a 210lbs rider.
    I would need advise if the boost valve PSI and rebound should be left alone or if Yeti specify stiffness settings for bigger frames.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Yeti ASR5 Alloy Enduro Build

This is my Yeti that I have had for a few weeks now. Basically stock.
    Fox RP23 Kashima Coating
    Fox 140 RLC Kashima Coating.
    DT Swiss M1900 wheelset
    Nobby Nics
    Command Post Dropper
    X9/X7 drivetrain

Soon to have...
    XT Cranks,
    Holzfeller 730 bars 40mm rise ( Raceface 725mm 20mm rise currently),
    Maybe a new wheelset (DT's are nice just kinda heavy...)
    Playing around with stems between 60mm and 100mm. I am kinda leaning towards a longer stem.
    The saddle in the pic is a Specialized Phenom, which I normally love, but on this bike it just doesn't work. So I have a WTB Rocket V on it now and that seems to be a better fit.

I am still working on the getting the cockpit straightened out. Its getting close but still needs some tweaks, which is why the bike is in the trainer. At 5'11", I am kinda in between a large and medium and ended up getting a medium, but I am feeling a little cramped/stinkbuggy on it.
    I have been riding only 29ers for the past two plus years and I wanted something a little smaller and nimble; not so long. I have to admit, I kinda have to relearn how to ride a 26er. 29ers carry a lot of momentum and kinda plow through stuff where as on this bike, I have to be more careful with line selection. I think the bike pedals great and seems to handle really well. I don't know if I am getting rid of my FSR 29er just yet, but the Yeti seems to have been a great choice for a 5" 26er.
    Last edited by babu9000; 11-19-2012 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Fellow ASR5 owners,

I have been riding my ASR5c for a few months, I love it! I am now wondering about chainguide options. Currently I am running 3x10 but contemplating switching to 2x10 or 1x10 with a chainguide/pulley and maybe running a shorter cage RD in order to reduce chain noise and possibly save a little weight. Anyone here running 2x10 or 1x10 with a guide on their ASR5? Any that work better than others?

Thanks!

nero
    Ejhorn, I just bought a xt 2x10 setup and I'm going to be running the mid cage shadow plus xt rear derailleur. I plan on having it all set up by the weekend and I will let you know how it goes as I am hoping to be able to run with this setup without having to resort to a chain guide.

mtbr member
    I've bought a ASR 5, with the fox rp2, and I'm going to ride it tomorrow for the first time, can some one tell me how mani psi do you use in the rear shock? I weight 70 kgs, a bit more with gear...thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There are already many threads on this topic, but the general formula is 1/2 your body weight in PSI. I weigh 150# and use 75 psi in my shock. That's at least a starting point

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Your body weight in pounds. Maybe a few more psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    There are already many threads on this topic, but the general formula is 1/2 your body weight in PSI. I weigh 150# and use 75 psi in my shock. That's at least a starting point
    That sounds pretty good for the fork but not the shock

Agreed. Start there and then adjust by sag.

nero
    This

mtbr member
    thanks for your help, I've runned with 145 psi and my weight is 150, so I will probably put 10 more psi, because I think I'm running it with a lot of sag...

nero
    I have found about 10mm to be perfect

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Half body weight for the shock? Anyway the main thing is sag. I like between 25 and 20%. My riding área is more cross country, more aggressive terrain you might. Need more

nero
    Anybody got an idea about brake hose length for a large asr5 front and rear. Ready to switch out the elixer 5 for a set of xt and will probably order pre bled. Thanks

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast