Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Forgot to add, here is my spec so far, just waiting on pedals, front tyre and the Hope/Stans tubeless kit...

FRAME - YETI ASR-5 C FACTORY RP23 (142MM x 12MM AXLE)(LARGE)(CARBON/TURQUOISE)
    FORK - FOX 32 FLOAT 140 FACTORY FIT CTD KASHIMA TS QR15 (WHITE)
    HEADSET - HOPE (BLACK)
    CRANKSET - SHIMANO XT (26-38) (BLACK) (175MM)
    BOTTOM BRACKET - SHIMANO XT HOLLOWTECH II
    FRONT DER - SHIMANO XT (BLACK)
    REAR DER - SHIMANO XT 10SPD (BLACK)
    SHIFTERS - SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    CASSETTE - SHIMANO XT 10SPD (11-36)
    CHAIN - SHIMANO 10SPD
    WHEELS - HOPE PRO II EVO-STANS FLOW
    TIRES - CONTINENTAL RUBBER QUEEN UST 2.2 F / X-KING PROTECTION 2.2 R
    BRAKES/LEVERS - SHIMANO XT (BLACK)
    ROTORS - SHIMANO XT ICE-TECH 180MM F / 160MM R
    HANDLEBAR - EASTON HAVEN CARBON
    STEM - THOMSON X4 (50MM) (BLACK)
    GRIPS - YETI LOCK-ON (BLACK)
    SADDLE - FIZIK GOBI (BLACK)
    SEATPOST - ROCKSHOX REVERB
    PEDALS - SHIMANO XT TRAIL

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Got sick of climbing during long rides with the ASR7, so I snagged a used 2010 ASR5C.
    After a couple of rides I'm completely in love with this bike. The 7 is gonna collect some dust, lol.

It's a standard XT Race build. Made a few additions in my week of ownership:
    2x9 with e13 bashguard
    Upgraded rear hub to 36 step.
    2012 XT trail pedals
    Weighs 26.01 lbs.
    I'd eventually like to get it down to 23/24lbs.

Here's a picture with its bigger brother:

mtbr member
    My Lime five with green I9s.

Last edited by Jeremy R; 07-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    SEI Racing

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    Just cracked my 2011 giant trance advanced in half. Been riding giant or a long time. Giant gave me a new frame and I sold it to get a Yeti.. Just bought a new 2013 ASR 5c. Will post pics once it's built.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

My ASR-5

Complete custom build.... so much faster than my Giant VT-2.

ASR-5 Alloy
    ZTR Flow w/i9 Hubs (red)
    Fox CTD Front and Rear Suspension
    All X9 2x10
    DMR Vault Pedals (red)
    BB7 Brakes (I like mech's)
    Fizik Alliante XM Saddle
    Truvativ Stylo T40 White Bar
    Truvativ Stylo T20 post w/Salsa clamp (red)
    ODI Yeti lock on grips (red locks)
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic (tubeless)

It's currently using a Scott stem; wanted to try the 90mm before ordering the shiny Hope XC stem (in red). Will post an updated pic when that gets in.

The builder took some good photos as well ... will post them when I get them. So far, I've had to double check my riding times as it has shaved 5 to 10 minutes off my usual - without even trying.

Couldn't be happier with the way it rides... climbs like a beast, descends like it's nothing. The best part is I keep thinking "oh yea, here comes that part of the trail I hate..." - then a few minutes later I think "wasn't there some part of this trail I hated?". It just goes over whatever I point it at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-img_0916.jpg  

Last edited by underworld; 08-16-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Missing picture

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi everyone,

Newbie here! What size are your frames Underworld and Jeremy R?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I got a small. I'm 5'8" - compared the sizing to the VT-2 16.5" I was riding, and this matched the best. Also, the ASR 5 is naturally longer than the VT-2 anyway, so I didn't want a bike that was too stretched out, at least compared to what I was used to.

Fit wise, it feels great. I have the Truvativ Stylo T40 bar - which is a 700mm bar, compared to the Titec Hellbent at 670mm or so - and it feels very wide. I'm going to have it trimmed in a bit, I think.

Also - here's a few more pix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-yeti-asr-2.jpg  

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-yeti-asr-3.jpg  

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-yeti-asr-4.jpg  

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-yeti-asr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpeppyx View Post
    Got sick of climbing during long rides with the ASR7, so I snagged a used 2010 ASR5C.
    After a couple of rides I'm completely in love with this bike. The 7 is gonna collect some dust, lol.

It's a standard XT Race build. Made a few additions in my week of ownership:
    2x9 with e13 bashguard
    Upgraded rear hub to 36 step.
    2012 XT trail pedals
    Weighs 26.01 lbs.
    I'd eventually like to get it down to 23/24lbs.

Here's a picture with its bigger brother:

Man, the 7 makes the 5 look like a toy! Could it be the hammer holding you back on climbs?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bike looks sweet Underworld, can anyone post some pics of Large frames?

In Lime if they can!

mtbr member
    Not the best photo, but here is my ASR5c.

Parts include:
    Fork - Fox F-Series 120
    Rear Shock - Fox Float RP23
    Saddle - Chromag Moon
    Seat Post - RockShox Reverb
    Headset - Cane Creek XX II
    Wheels - Easton Havon AL
    Brakes - Hope Tech M4 (front), X2 (rear)
    Cranks - Truvativ XX
    Shifters - Sram XO
    Rear Derailleur - Sram XO
    Front Derailleur - Sram XO
    Rear Cassette - Sram XO
    Handlebar - Raceface SixC
    Stem - Thompson

Snapper

36 on a 5

I need to be told I am nuts with romantic ideals about my capabilities. I was thinking about putting a fox 36 float - reduced to 120mm on my Yeti 5. I have a 140 Talas with 9mm QR and straight steerer and obviously it is piss weak for a 6.5 / 240lbs big bloke. Are tapered and 15mm forks ample. Most of my trails are well groomed and I dont launch off massive stunts. This is my one off roader and need a sanity check on whether the added 2 kgs is really worth it.
    I figure with the longer A2C of a 36 - 120mm would be around 135mm on a regular 32.
    any thoughts folks
    JD

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663 View Post
    I need to be told I am nuts with romantic ideals about my capabilities. I was thinking about putting a fox 36 float - reduced to 120mm on my Yeti 5. I have a 140 Talas with 9mm QR and straight steerer and obviously it is piss weak for a 6.5 / 240lbs big bloke. Are tapered and 15mm forks ample. Most of my trails are well groomed and I dont launch off massive stunts. This is my one off roader and need a sanity check on whether the added 2 kgs is really worth it.
    I figure with the longer A2C of a 36 - 120mm would be around 135mm on a regular 32.
    any thoughts folks
    JD
    hmm, interesting problem. I think the primary driver of stiffness will be the 32 vs 36 choice, the second biggest impact will be qr vs 15mm vs 20mm, and third the tapered steerer. I have a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube on my front (b/c I moved the fork over from another bike) and comparing to yetis in the shop with a proper 1.5 tapered on the front, I can't really feel a big difference. But, haven't seen any on that, I could be wrong.

IMHO, don't waste your time trying to modify a 36 float down to 120mm. you're saying a modded 36 will have an A2C comparable to a 135 mm fork? There is no way to mod a fork and reduce the A2C to exactly match the travel? If true, head angle and geometry will be fine, but you're holding back the bike basically. Its a big compromise just to get to a beefier fork that doesn't screw up the geometry of the bike.

So . . . I guess 2013 36 talas is out, b/c its 120-160, neither work for this bike. There might be a fork from rockshox or marzochi with oversize legs and 140 or 150mm travel. If you can't find anything, I say go with a 32 float or talas, 140-150, 15mm+, tapered. Yes this will be a little flexy for a guy your size but the seems better than the modded 36 option to me.

Snapper
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    hmm, interesting problem. I think the primary driver of stiffness will be the 32 vs 36 choice, the second biggest impact will be qr vs 15mm vs 20mm, and third the tapered steerer. I have a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube on my front (b/c I moved the fork over from another bike) and comparing to yetis in the shop with a proper 1.5 tapered on the front, I can't really feel a big difference. But, haven't seen any on that, I could be wrong.

IMHO, don't waste your time trying to modify a 36 float down to 120mm. you're saying a modded 36 will have an A2C comparable to a 135 mm fork? There is no way to mod a fork and reduce the A2C to exactly match the travel? If true, head angle and geometry will be fine, but you're holding back the bike basically. Its a big compromise just to get to a beefier fork that doesn't screw up the geometry of the bike.

So . . . I guess 2013 36 talas is out, b/c its 120-160, neither work for this bike. There might be a fork from rockshox or marzochi with oversize legs and 140 or 150mm travel. If you can't find anything, I say go with a 32 float or talas, 140-150, 15mm+, tapered. Yes this will be a little flexy for a guy your size but the seems better than the modded 36 option to me.
    Great advice and well thought out reply - thanks very much mate, think I will take your words of wisdom

Visitor
    scored some new haven wheels.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by hairstream View Post
    scored some new haven wheels.

Awesome, would love to find a way to get these. AM rated, and what, 1500g or something? Did you weigh em before you installed?

But very pricey

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663 View Post
    any thoughts folks
    JD
    How about buying a new set of 15QR lowers for the 140 Talas that you have and using them?

Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Did you...
    1471g.

The big UST Ground Controls are pretty weighty, though. I swapped the King/717 wheels over to my ASRC.

Couldn't be happier with these wheels. Didn't even think about them on the way down the staircase section at Deer Creek. Will give Apex a go tomorrow.

I've heard horror stories about the rear hub blowing up. Supposed to be cured with this new rev? Yeah, spendy.

Love the 5. I scored a demo SB66 for the Tribe weekend (totally endo'd leading Joey S down one of the Vail trails). Still like my 5 better.

Next up, dropper?

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My LBS received my new ASR5c frame last week. I was expecting it to have the outgoing Adaptive Logic RP23 but was surprised when it arrived with the new CTD shock.

I still have a few things to tweak but even with only one ride on it I can say that it is absolutely excellent!!

My build is as follows (a lot of the parts have come off my HT that this replaces):

FRAME - ASR5c CTD RP23 (M) (Black/White)
    FORK - Rock Shox Reba 120mm RLT-Ti 20mm Maxle
    HEADSET - Acros AX-06R (White)
    CRANKSET - Race Face Deus (22/32/Bash)
    BOTTOM BRACKET - Hope S/Steel
    FRONT DER - Shimano XT M771
    REAR DER - Shimano XT M772 9-spd
    SHIFTERS - Shimano XT M770
    CASSETTE - Shimano XT M770 9-spd
    CHAIN - Shimano XTR 9-spd
    WHEELS - Hope Pro2 DT XR400 20mm/142mm
    TIRES - Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.4 (F), 2.25 (R)
    BRAKES/LEVERS - Shimano XT M775 w/M785 levers
    ROTORS - Shimano RT75 180mm/160mm F/R
    HANDLEBAR - Race Face SixC 725mm
    STEM - Race Face Turbine 70mm
    GRIPS - ODI Cross trainers
    SADDLE - WTB Silverado Team
    SEATPOST - Race Face Turbine
    PEDALS - Shimano M959

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mounting of my my Yeti ASR5-C replacement is finished. Will keep you posted for comparison.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Lovely bike @hairstream. Where did you source the WTB Devo Yeti saddle?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Interested in your thoughts about Shimano clutch mechs as well. My ASR5C is running 2x10 XT but it does and can throw it's chain. Especially on rougher, longer descents.

I'm considering a clutch mech or an E13 chain guide. Just wondering what others are using?

Visitor
    I'm diggin' mine. I first swapped out the RD on my 5. Liked it so much I did the same thing on my ASR. No noticeable stiffness in shifting, even with the clutch turned up. I'm sold.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My ASR5c out last weekend

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do you guys think is good or a tad small?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-uploadfromtaptalk1351034653775.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There are certainly a lot of spacers underneath the stem. I believe you should never have anymore than 30mm according to the manufacturers guidance.

It doesn't matter if I think it's good or small? It's whether you are comfortable riding it.

Apart from @hairstream is anyone else running a 'clutch' rear mech or dual chain guide?

Not sure whether to opt for a Shimano XT Shadow+ rear mech or E13 TRS+ chain guide.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast