Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    LLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone know the oreginal ASR5 rear shock FOX PR23 (200mm X 50mm) can switch to the Cane Creek double barrel coil shock ( 200mm X 55mm) ? Thanks !

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LLP View Post
    Anyone know the oreginal ASR5 rear shock FOX PR23 (200mm X 50mm) can switch to the Cane Creek double barrel coil shock ( 200mm X 55mm) ? Thanks !
    Call them. I called today and got Dave on the phone right away. This is a major reason why I support this company.

LLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks !

I wrote a message to the Yeti FB page. Then the reply message :Not sure exactly on how the other brands shocks will work on the bike. If it fits and has the same stroke and eye to eye it should work fine. For more detailed questions please email service@yeticycles.com and we can get you more detailed information.

Anyway, I get a second hand CCDB from ebay ! Waiting for it arrive and the test ride !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    In wondering about the ccdb air myself. I just ordered the air can spacers, talked to yeti and the guy said they all run the smallest spacer on theirs. Going to give that a shot, next step is a piggyback or a ccdb air.

Also, I am giving up on Pacenti rims for Austin greenbelt riding. Second rear rim never saw less than 27 psi, and still has a major dent, and now some uneven spoke tension after an incident that any wheel would need attention to afterwards. Stan's flows ex are on order- I like the width, and am not too worried about the weight.

I guess I can say goodbye to my 25 lb bike, until I live in an area where I trust myself with some carbon hoops!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My Oozey are ok rims. They don't hold up as well as my Flows but no dents or dings. They need to be trued but they're about 2 seasons in so that is acceptable. Pretty light too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if i could get 2 years out of rims id be happy! I usually get a race season out of lightweight wheels(blunt SL) or a year or so out of something heavier- last set i sold was wtb laserdisc trail (580g in 29er). Wondering where that line between durability and weight actually lies with me.

One friend is telling me arches- but I'm not sure I want to give up any width. I look at 2.1 and 2.2" tires as narrow, and like my volume. Not sure I'm ready to try the fat rims at 33+mm either that square off the tread- I lean the bike too far while turning and don't want it to loose its "playfulness".

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hey all, wanted to jump in here and post my (new to me) Yeti 2012 ASR 5. Can't wait to ride it. It should arrive this week
    2012 Yeti ASR 5 - Imgur

Specs
    Brand: Yeti
    Model: ASR-5
    Size: Large
    Year: 2012
    Frame Material: Aluminum
    Fork: Fox Float 32
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23
    Effective Top Tube: 622mm
    Seat Tube: 510mm (C-T)
    Seat Tube Angle: 71
    Head Tube: 130mm
    Head Tube Angle: 67
    Standover Height: 749mm
    Weight: 27 lbs 12 oz
    Components
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Front Derailleur: Sram X7
    Rear Derailleur: Sram X9
    Brakes: Avid Elixr 5
    Shifters: Sram X7
    Crankset: Sram X7, 44/32/22t, 175mm
    Cassette: Sram PG1050, 10sp, 11-36t
    Chain: Sram PC 1051
    Handlebar: Truvativ Stylo Race - 685mm wide
    Stem: Truvativ Stylo - 90mm - 31.8mm - 5
    Seatpost: Truvativ Stylo - 30.9mm
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    Wheelset: DT Swiss M1900 - 26"
    Rear Spacing: 135mm
    Front Tire: Specialized The Captain - 26x2.2
    Rear Tire: Specialized The Captain - 26x2.0

mtbr member
    First ride on my new ASR5

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-imag0049%5B1%5D.jpg

I'm too out of shape right now to run it through its paces, but its super light and responsive so far.

2012 AS-R 5 Alloy, size large
    2014 RS Revelation @ 120mm
    Stock RP23
    Syntace 60mm stem
    Easton ex70 carbon handlebar and seatpost
    Joystick Emulator saddle
    Ergon GA Evo grips
    Zee shifter and derailleur
    Raceface Narrow Wide 32t chain ring
    e.13 xcx crank
    Shimano XT cassette
    Magura MT6 brakes (180mm front, 160mm rear)
    American Classic Terrain Wheelset
    Front tire: Specialized Purgatory UST
    Rear tire: Specialized Captain Control UST

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Build details?

mtbr member
    updated with specs

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Now this thread is back up might as well add an update. Did a 1x10 conversion, needle bearings, custom shock tune and lots of other stuff to bike recently. Rides amazing and is now 24lbs with a dropper and big tires!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

ASR-5 Alloy
    Rockshox Pike 150mm
    Renthal Fatbar Lite
    Duo 50mm stem
    ESI Grips
    Shimano SLX brakes 180/160
    SRAM X9 Type II 1x10 with 36t Wolf Tooth ring
    EA70 XCT wheelset
    Hans Dampf front/Rock Razor rear tires
    Thompson dropper post
    Selle Italia saddle
    Water bottle cage
    XTR trail pedals

26.5 lbs ready to ride... I think. I weighed it with an old fishing scale.
    Last edited by rck18; 03-18-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Long live the ASR-7
    How's that Rock Razor? 36T ring up front is nuts on 1x10. I'm running a 30T and struggle with some climbs. Good looking bike and build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice looking 5!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks.

I like the Rock Razor. When the bike is vertical, it's like a high-volume Racing Ralph. When leaned over, It corners really well. The knobs look like a Magic Mary's. My trails are dry and hard packed though. It replaced a Psycho Genius. Rolls maybe a bit faster, but higher cornering traction.

I couldn't go any lower than 34t or I would spin out on the downhills. I have to pedal a little slow on some steep uphills, but still manage to pass people. I bet you can push a bigger ring than you think!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had a 36t on for several months, but recently switched to a 32t wolfstooth. The slow technical climbs were getting me! Now I can clear a lot more, and I have to confidence knowing I won't have to mash and spin out on skree

mtbr member

Spring time..Finally!

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-scenic.jpg

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-asr5-2.jpg

The ASR 5 build/picture thread-asr5-1.jpg
    Ride well. Live well.

Long live the ASR-7
    Just a suggestion.....have you tried running the dropper post cable in the spot for the upper shock mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    Just a suggestion.....have you tried running the dropper post cable in the spot for the upper shock mount?
    I tried that but was getting slight contact as the shock compressed and moved. Were you able to get that to work without contact?
    Ride well. Live well.

Long live the ASR-7
    That's how I have it routed on my 7. I'm running 1x10 and use the front derailleur cable guide to zip tie my dropper cable. I haven't had issues with it contacting the shock.

mtbr member
    Headset search help needed please.
    I have a brand new 2011 ASR5c frame and a 2007 RockShox Reba Race (straight 1 1/8 in.) steerer and I'm stuck with the headset choice. I already ordered a wrong FSA headset (I figured the term "reducer" would mean a 1.5 in. lower cup and an 1 1/8 in. upper cup but both cups were 1.5 so that doesn't fit). Anyone have any idea what the right headset model could be with an older fork and that frame? Cane Creek's website was of no help for me, got stuck on the stem clamp diameter. Thanks.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    For education on this Cane Creek has a great informational document here:
    http://www.canecreek.com/resources/p...tion-guide.pdf

The top of your head tube is 34mm, and a 1 1/8th steerer is 28.6 mm, so you need an EC34/28.6 top cup, which is the correct way to state it according to the SHIS, but of course it might also be referred to as a EC34mm / 1 1/8th. here are some examples:

Cane Creek 10 Ext. Cup Top Black 1-1 8" - Headsets Threadless - Tops - Bottoms

Amazon.com : Cane Creek 110-Series Traditional Top for 34mm Head Tube 1-1/8" Stem Clamp Diameter Silver : Bike Headsets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Cane Creek 110 External Headset Cup Top > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The bottom of your head tube is 49 mm. Now this is where it gets interesting: The actual diameter of the crown race seat on a 1 1/8th steerer tube is not 28.6mm, its a little wider at 30mm. This is so that crown race easily slides down the steerer tube and correctly wedges at the bottom.

So for your lower cup you are looking for a EC49 / 30, or, a ZS49 / 30. You have the option of a zero stack lower cup because of the fact that your steerer is 1 1/8th, which allows extra room that is not possible with a 1.5" tapered head tube. The ZS49 will sit higher up in the bottom of the head tube, lowering your front end by about 6-8mm, steepening your head angle slightly from the yeti published number. This is because Yeti's published head angle number I believe assumes a 140mm fork, with a full tapered 1.5 head tube, which requires a EC49/ 39 lower cup, which sits lower than the ZS49 lower cup. Your Reba Race is probably on the low end of the recommended travel for the ASR5, right? Adding the Zs lower cup on top of that will give you a reeeeealy steep head angle, so I recommend the EC49 / 30 lower cup.

Example lower cups:
    Cane Creek 110.EC49/30 Headset Bottom, Conversion in Tree Fort Bikes Headsets (cat98)

Cane Creek 110 Conversion EC49/30 Bottom Silver

Amazon.com : Cane Creek 40-Series Traditional Conversion Bottom for 49mm Head Tube : Bottom Bike Brackets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Although note on the this amazon listing the product title (which says 49mm) differs from the product description (which says 44mm). Amazon's product data from its 3rd party sellers can be crap sometimes, you should probably chat with CS to confirm its 49mm before buying.

You might be able to find a single top/bottom headset which has the dimensions above, but these examples above should be helpful in evaluating whether that headset will actually fit. I was in the same situation as you and ended up buying the lower cup and the upper cup separately because I could not find it as a single headset in the color I wanted (Silver).

I personally recommend getting the same make and model lower cup and higher cup, I have never seen anyone mix and match but I am not the expert on this.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Procter; 05-25-2014 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Clamp diameter is 28.6, crown race is 30.0. The headset diameter is ec34 and ec49 with the 30mm crown race

mtbr member
    Thanks you both very much. You've probably saved me another week of headaches ordering the wrong parts.

mtbr member

2010 ASR5c

Thought I'd share my wife's ASR5c.

Took the Fox Float fork off my 575, dropped the travel to 140mm and installed it on her bike. Also made it a 1x10 for more simplicity - 30T front NW ring with 11-36 cassette. She's loving this set up. Not sure the weight tho; I'm guessing 25lbs.

BTW: With this bike, she says that there is no need to get a 650b! "Its a fast, super fun and very versatile bike the way it is!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ASR 5 build/picture thread-p1080632.jpg  

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast