Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    After a great couple of seasons it was time to do some upgrades, from the stock Enduro build to XO 2x10 and Haven Carbons with XT Brakes (best money I ever have spent on a bike, the upgraded brakes from the POS Avid 5s). Typical, the trails have been mudfests with more snow/rain falling as I type, have not been out on the maiden voyage yet.

Love the matching red shifter cables, a surprise and delight when I picked up the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
    Question for those that bought ASR-5 frames to be built: did they come with any drop-outs at all, or did you have to order them separately? I just ordered a 2012 frame, but I can't find any info clarifying this, and I'd rather not wait until the frame arrives to find out (I want to build it, pronto).
    Didn't see this answered anywhere...

My frame came with the standard dropouts. As I'm sure you know, you can upgrade to the 142x12 by buying the appropriate "chip set" for about $50. But out of the box, my ASR-5 came with the standard dropouts installed and ready to rock.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post

My frame came with the standard dropouts. As I'm sure you know, you can upgrade to the 142x12 by buying the appropriate "chip set" for about $50. But out of the box, my ASR-5 came with the standard dropouts installed and ready to rock.
    Let me ask this... I have the standard dropouts with King hubs. So to upgrade, I need:
    1. New King axle, 12x142
    2. Yeti chip set
    3. The actual 12x142 QR. Where do I get this?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Shimano SM-AX75 ( QR axle and nut )

Universal Cycles -- Shimano Thru-Axles & Parts

mtbr member
    Shimano XTR M988 Rear 12x142mm Thru-axle Q/R Unit from Bike Bling

Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Let me ask this... I have the standard dropouts with King hubs. So to upgrade, I need:
    1. New King axle, 12x142
    2. Yeti chip set

mtbr member
    Best deal I could find was Jenson for the chip set and Bike Bling for the axle, but bought both from Jenson with price match on the axle and free shipping over $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post

Thanks, it's here... came with 135x10, what I needed.

On another note, this thing takes the prize for the largest 'medium' I've ever thrown a leg over, and I've worked in a couple of shops, so that's a lot... Hope I can get used to it. I'm 5-10; I hope no one 5-7 takes Yeti's sizing advise, they'll be strreeetched ooouuut!
    'T'is only a flesh wound...
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good morning guys from Johannesburg, South Africa,

I am new to this site and would like to find out some advice. I am in the process of builidng a 2012 Yeti ASR 5, I am in two minds about what I should do to it. Having read through the forum numerous times and seeing the incredible builds has spurred me on to build mine to thbest possible spec.

Here is what I have so far,

- 2012 Yeti ASR 5 Alloy frame (White)
    - Chris King headset (Navy Blue)
    - Thomson X4 stem 70mm
    - Easton Havoc 730mm handle bar
    - ODI Yeti Hardcore grips (Navy Blue lock rings)
    - 2013 FLOAT CTD BOOST VALVE REMOTE [7.875, 2.0]
    - 2013 Fox Float 32 CTD with trail Adjust
    - 2013 Fox Doss 30.9mm seat dropper post
    - Jagwire Sid Blue gear cables and Hyflow Hydraulic brake cables
    - Wheels *TBC looking at the 2013 Crossmax SX in white or the Crossmax ST *Advice*
    - Drive train - *Any advice* looking at the Shimano XTR, but that is hugely expensive.
    - Brakes - *any advice*
    - Tyres - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 Front, Schwalbe racing Ralph Back

Inputs would be greatly appreciated, it is probably going to be an extremely slow build as I am purchasing things as I go. Any ideas where I could possibly get a good deal on Crossmax SX or ST wheelset from?

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Coaste2009 View Post
    Here is what I have so far,

- 2012 Yeti ASR 5 Alloy frame (White)
    - Chris King headset (Navy Blue)
    - Thomson X4 stem 70mm
    - Easton Havoc 730mm handle bar
    - ODI Yeti Hardcore grips (Navy Blue lock rings)
    - 2013 FLOAT CTD BOOST VALVE REMOTE [7.875, 2.0]
    - 2013 Fox Float 32 CTD with trail Adjust
    - 2013 Fox Doss 30.9mm seat dropper post
    - Jagwire Sid Blue gear cables and Hyflow Hydraulic brake cables
    - Wheels *TBC looking at the 2013 Crossmax SX in white or the Crossmax ST *Advice*
    - Drive train - *Any advice* looking at the Shimano XTR, but that is hugely expensive.
    - Brakes - *any advice*
    - Tyres - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 Front, Schwalbe racing Ralph Back

For wheels it depends on what type of riding you do and whether you need lighter or stronger.
    For the drivetrain, I'd personally go with XT for the front mech and cassette but I'd try and splash out for the XTR shifters, chain and rear mech if the funds allow. If you bash rear mechs a bit, then consider the XT instead. The XTR cassette is hideously expensive so the XT one makes sense. As for crankset, I personally run Race Face and haven't had issue with them - YMMV.
    As for brakes, I'd definitely recommend XT M780 brakes. I personally wouldn't look beyond them; hassle free, relatively cheap with very strong performance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just picked up a 2012 yeti asr-5 in turquoise (L). Building it as my dream bike- to keep me from buying another bike for a while (about to start a PhD- need something to ride and not think about).

Frame Yeti Asr-5 (A) with 142x12 rear axle
    Fork- X-fusion slant dropped to 130
    Headset- Red Cane creek 110
    Shifters- XTR
    F. Der- XTR
    R. Der- XTR shadow+
    Crank- XTR Double 40-28
    Cassette- XT
    Brakes- Hope tech evo m4
    Rotors- hope floating rotor 183 f/r
    Seatpost- rock shox reverb
    Hubs- Hadley (red)
    Rims- Pacenti TL28
    Spokes- DT Swiss competition
    Tires- Specialized Ground Control 2.3 F, 2.3 or 2.1 Rear
    Handlebar- Truvativ boobar for now, enve next
    Stem- deciding on length
    Grips- ODI Rogue

Some of the parts are things I have wanted for years (hope brakes, hadley hubs, CC110 headset) and figured this was my chance to finally get what i wanted after several "budget builds" used for racing. I went a little crazy, but I don't see regretting any of it!

Bike will be used for everything from rough XC in central texas, to mountain trips in the north georgia mountains, to groomed XC racing. I am maybe a mid-pack Cat 2 when I race, but I doubt this bike will hold me back. I am expecting it to weigh in at 27-28 lbs. Most of the parts are in- pictures will be posted when the wheels are built up and the fork is available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My initial reaction was to order a small, I'm 5'9.5 and bought a medium based on my research.
    It'll have a straight post and 70-90mm stem. I hope the sizing is correct!

Gotdurt, how long is your stem?

Gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOWL View Post
    My initial reaction was to order a small, I'm 5'9.5 and bought a medium based on my research.

I am 5'10" on a medium with a 70 mm stem. The fit is perfect! Go with the 70mm stem and you will love it!

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fuel View Post
    I am 5'10" on a medium with a 70 mm stem. The fit is perfect! Go with the 70mm stem and you will love it!
    I'm 5'8.5" on a medium with a 70mm stem with an inline seatpost. Perfect fit for me too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I second DGB's advice. Wheels are a personal choice, and there are a lot of great options out there. Mavic makes great stuff, also consider DT Swiss, King, i9, Shimano or Easton (or like a million others )

As for drivetrain, XT is bombproof, XTR is the crème de la crème, and you'll pay for it. It's worth it for some parts IMO. I have an XTR M980 crank and it's by far the best crank I've used (compared to XX, XO, XT, Noir and others). It's unbelievably stiff, and surprisingly the lightest of the listed cranks. XTR shadow plus derailleur is also just incredible. XT for the rest if you ask me. I saw a great deal on XT 10 speed shifters at Blueskycycles a few days ago. If you're careful and patient you can piece together a great build for not a lot of cash (relatively).

As for brakes, go XT BR M780, you won't be disappointed. They're strong, fairly cheap, pretty light and look awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here's the link to the shifters:
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano XT SL M780 Rapidfire Shifter Pods 10 Speed
    Usually they blow through their stock so if you want them, don't wait. This is about as cheap as it gets for these.

mtbr member

I have a 70mm stem on it, but I'm accustomed to 23" top tubes on medium bikes (this is 23.7), in fact over the last 25 years, I've actually favored small (16") frames because I use a lot of body english and ride very technical trails (I have both small and medium frame builds at the moment for different trails). I also find that smaller frames are easier to weight the front in tight, fast turns. Overall though, I'm a standard medium rider.
    I'm not done building it, but I have ridden it around my neighborhood in singlespeed mode and find that, compared to my other frames, getting the front wheel up takes a bit more effort, and the manual sweet spot is all out of whack... body position will need to be relearned for sure. I'm determined to like it though, so I'll give it a chance. Maybe things will be different once I get out on the trail; the length should be good on steep, ledgey downhills anyway.
    Last edited by gotdurt; 04-24-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add quote
    Some videos

Austin, Texas

He's jealous....

mtbr member

oops

Last edited by gotdurt; 04-25-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: crappy forum format.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    that picture makes me think i should of gotten the turquoise. delete it now!

mtbr member
    For those of you running 1x, what chain guide are you using? I'm reluctant to try a clamp type due to the frame design; worried the clamp might mount too high. A BB mount guide would be safe, but then I wouldn't have the option of mounting a bottom roller later, if I decide to...

Also, having used fixed guides on other bikes, I don't really like the chain striking a fixed object... seems like a top roller would be better (like my motorcycle); has anyone tried something like a Blackspire Stinger rotated to the top? It wouldn't even have to touch the chain, 1/8" of clearance should keep the chain on the ring, especially with a single-specific ring.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    and the xtr m985 40/28 crankset fits with PLENTY of clearance.

mtbr member

I would be shocked if you were comfortable on a Small. I'm 5' 6" with about a 28" inseam and fit perfectly on a small with an 80mm stem. In fact, I'm considering swapping it for a 100mm stem because I've been riding with that old-school XC stretched out position for 20 years. The "new" Trail/AM geometry of being a bit more upright with wider bars works absolutely perfectly on my small ASR-5.

On my first ride, I felt a tiiiiiiiiny bit too upright and contemplated going with a slightly longer stem. But the more I ride, the better the new position feels so I'll probably stick with my 80mm.

Bottom line, though, is that a Small would be too small, in my opinion, for anyone over 5' 7" unless that person has an abnormally short torso. You can also see, in this picture, my seatpost height...again, the small is the perfect fit at 5' 6"

Last edited by KevinGT; 04-27-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    am i crazy for wanting to put a 34mm stanchion fork on the asr5? or should i stick with a revelation? both would be dropped to ~130mm travel, 34mm fork would be bit taller (10mm i think, won't know until i get it). I am 180 lbs, ride in central texas and north georgia mountains. This is really a XC/trail+ build- i race what i ride, my last bike was 32 lbs.

my previous fork was a straight 1 1/8 RS sektor with a QR, and I found it somewhat flexy, head angle was 69 degrees with the fork set at 150. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm about 200lb rtr and I ride a Rev at 140mm with a ZS lower headset. I just bumped it up from 130mm. I've ridden this fork for a while at 150mm on another bike. With a 20mm axle it is plenty stiff for what this bike can handle. However, if I could throw the new Pike on ANY bike, I would - assuming proper a2c could be achieved. I have ridden a Lyrik for years and it'll spoil you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by droptop View Post
    am i crazy for wanting to put a 34mm stanchion fork on the asr5?
    Nope.

I stuck a BOS Deville 140mm fork with 20mm axle and 34mm stanchions on my ASR5. Can plough through really rough terrain and it stays bang on track. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Don't bother dropping it to 130mm of travel, I used to run a fork at this travel on my Yeti but prefer it at 140 with a little more sag set.

With the extra travel and stiffness from this type of fork it transforms the bike it to a more rough and tumble bike which still goes up really quickly.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast