mtbr member

ASR-5 build discussion

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm starting to spec out an ASR-5. I'm currently riding an aluminum HT with the following components:

Fork: Marzocchi bomber
    Drivetrain: Shimano XT M750 (2005 version)
    Brakes: Avid BB7
    Wheels: Mavic 717

I know that component specs are largely a personal decision but I'm hoping for people's thoughts on what would match best with the Yeti. I ride in metro Atlanta area which has, surprisingly, a ton of really nice single track trail networks. Our riding is mainly tight, curvy, rolling, with short steep climbs and short descents. Mainly hardpack with lots of roots.

Cost isn't a huge issue but I'd like to keep the whole bike under $4000. Here are the areas up for debate:

Drivetrain: I've been a triple-chainring guy since I first rented a Specialized Rockhopper in 1990 but I'm thinking 2x10 now. SRAM X9 or Shimano XT? I think SRAM would be cool just because I've never ridden anything but Shimano...however...that leads to brakes:

Brakes: I love my BB7s but would consider upgrading to hydraulics if there is that much of a difference. As much as I like my Avids, I hear the Elixer are terribly difficult to keep adjusted correctly. If I go with a SRAM setup, I'd like to stick with Avid (I like consistency). If I go XT, I've heard great things about the XT Brakes.

Wheels: Wow...technology has come a long way. I'm thinking about giving tubeless a try. I haven't done a ton of research but the Mavic Crossmax ST looks hard to beat. Under 1600 grams for under $600 sounds like a good deal.

QR15 in the front and 12x142 in back?

Again, I know most of this is just personal preference but maybe someone's got some insight as to what works well with the ASR-5 and what doesn't.

mtbr member
    Which Bomber fork are you running an older 55 or 66. Either a QR15 or 20mm Thru Axle is the way to go. I like it alone for the mounting of the bike to a roof rack, the added stiffness and best of all less wear and tear of the stanchions. Some people run 120mm forks, some have 140's.

The rear axle can be run either way if you also get Yetis Chip System.

My opinion on the Elixers is - they are horrible, I ran the 5's, my wife had the 5's and they have been tossed - now we both run Magura MT series. Hers were upgraded through the LBS.

Consider if there are any Yeti dealers in your area, maybe they have some demos left over to test - I know its winter, but you can at least get a feel for frame size, setup etc.

Maybe a dropper post is something you may like to add to the build, and the ASR-5 has a cable mount to be able to ease routing from the handle bars to the seat post.

I hope some of this info may have been helpful, yet best is you give a frame a try (demo through the dealer). I test rode a few different Yetis before I decided to purchase mine.

Contact Cycle Therapy - they are in Rome, and carry Yeti, might be worth a shot!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've got an ASR5C and probably ride a lot of the same trails you do since I live in the Atlanta suburbs. One of my best friends got an ASR5 after riding mine. I've got 2010 XT/XTR 1x9 on mine, and he's got 2x10 2012 XT on his. I would definitely recommend XT brakes. I've got Avid X0 brakes on my DH bike and they stop fine but are noisy and finicky.

I started out with my Fox Float at 120mm, but had the spacer taken out when it was rebuilt and bumped up to 140mm. The 5 feels much more stable on downhill sections and climbing ability wasn't hurt at all.

I've got a dropper post on mine and wouldn't go back to a regular post.

I run the QR15 in front and 142x12 rear, only way to go in my opinion.

Shawn at Fresh Bike Service is a Yeti dealer across the street from Big Creek. I take my Yeti's there. He has SB66 demos, but normally doesn't have ASR5 demos.

Snapper

tell em their dreaming

-sorry wrong thread - move along thanks.