View Poll Results: Carbon or Alloy frame ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carbon

19 76.00%
  • Alloy

6 24.00%
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

ASR 5 Build Carbon or Alloy ??

I'm thinking of building a ASR 5 as a long term bike.

Just can't make my mind up on the frame.
    Carbon looks very nice and will be stiff.
    Alloy, the cost savings would pay for the forks.

I was always happy with my 575 alloy, i'm only a casual rider, aged 52, carbon would make a really nice bike but do I actually need the bling?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I voted carbon because I have one and love it. When I get off the bike and carry it through rough terrain the light weight is really noticeable. It also compensates for adding weight like an adjustable seatpost. If you plan on keeping the bike for a long time you should spend the extra money and get exactly what you want.

mtbr member
    I have a Carbon, my wife and 2 of my buddies have the alloy, Both are nice bikes but mine is just plain cooler. 5" of squish and 23lbs on the dot, doesn't get cooler than that....

If you can afford the C, get it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    If you can afford the C, get it.
    I have the Alloy and love it! If I had the extra $$ I prob would have gone for the C but I have no regrets I love my bike.

I have a moderate X9 build on my alloy and with a Reverb and pedals the bike is 26LB in a size large. The C is lighter but a 26lb 5" bike is not half bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansod View Post
    I have the Alloy and love it! If I had the extra $$ I prob would have gone for the C but I have no regrets I love my bike.

I have a moderate X9 build on my alloy and with a Reverb and pedals the bike is 26LB in a size large. The C is lighter but a 26lb 5" bike is not half bad.
    That's a good weight on a X9 build. We have my buddies AL down in the low 25's.

mtbr member
    It could also come down to size...

I was going to be getting the alloy since I felt I didn't "need" carbon for any good reason. I fell into the small frame size and their seat tube sizing was just weird, to me. I didn't think I could go with an 18.5" seat tube on a small frame (two inches more than the carbon). That doesn't leave very much room for dropping the seat (for me).

So, I found a closeout carbon, swapped out some stuffs and am loving it. My friend weighed it on his scale and it came in to under 24 pounds if you're into that kind of thing.

Either frame you choose will, no doubt, be a fun ride. The bike is such a little ripper!

Good luck,

crazyhouse

mtbr member
    You need to get the carbon. This statement is backed up by the fact that your looking to get a ASR5. That means tyou probably ride alot of 50/50 trails (50%climb/50%downhill). If you did more downhill or were more agressive you would be considering the 575. SO since your looking and a sweet pedaling 5" travel bike and its a Yeti then it is a no brainer. The ASR5C. That bike climbs really well and also is one of the fastest 5" travel bikes on the planet. Yeti really knows how to build bikes with a great balance. The ASR5C is light, strong, stiff but not jarring and can be the one bike to take on hours of backtrail fun or your 1hr lunch rides. If you would like my opinion let me know and I will offer more reasons if you need it.
    ASR5C is the way to go. If your intended use is different than climbing fast and riding down fast its the perfect choice. If lots of big drops and knarly downhill is your thing look for the 575 or SB66.
    I hope this helps.
    Oh I do have a ASR5C and was able to ride both the Alum and the C before buying the carbon. Well worth the few extra dollars.
    Pedal Dammit!