mtbr member

Argh! I've dented my 575! (pics)

Well I was half way though a 25 mile ride today, riding along a nice single track downhill, when I heard a 'bang' as my front tire kicked up a rock and hit the underside of my bike. I actually thought it had hit my chain ring, but carried on a little further until I noticed my front der wasn't shifting. So I came to a stop to investigate, only to find that my FD cable now only has about 3 stands left, the rest are all frayed out in all directions. I take a closer look, and the rock had hit the down tube, just above the bottom bracket. It had directly hit the FD cable, all but snapping it, and putting a small dent and a gouge in the tube wall.

Has anyone had any experience with getting replacement frame parts from Yeti? Do they have any sort of crash replacement discount policy? Obviously I'd only need a front triangle....any ideas on how much that would cost?

Things are further complicated, as I bought the frame in the US, but I'm now living in the UK. Am I best to deal directly with Yeti in the US? For what its worth its a mid 2005 frame, which I've had for just over a year now.

Thanks for any advice/help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Sorry to hear

Why excatly do you want to replace the triangle?. Am I missing something?.
    It seems only cosmetic, is'nt it?.
    Wish you'll be riding soon.
    GB

banned
    That is just a character ding. It's not like you did it with a hammer being a scoophead.

Tell the story with apathy like it happens all the time.

mtbr member
    That does look pretty nasty, but I wouldn't replace the triangle just yet. Keep riding it, but also keep a close eye on it to make sure a crack doesn't develop. It might be a good idea to talk to Yeti and get their opinion though. I do believe they have crash replacement policy of some kind.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Unfortunately the pics don't fully show the depth of the gouge and dent. As you all know, those down tube walls are incredibly thin, and the groove is much more than only just though the anodising.

As a mechanical engineer, I'm a little weary of have a nice little stress riser around a relatively high load area. Obviously I'll get Yeti's opinion on it.
    I'll be riding it in the mean time though, but keeping an eye on the area as JustMtnB44 suggested.

It's just annoying, even if it isn't a problem structually, any resale vale the frame had has all but gone. Not that I'd want to seel it of course! But then its all part of riding off road, sh*t happens...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Bummer, but as others have said.. better check with Yeti...

Rohloff
    Years ago, I brought my first brand new mountain bike home. My roommate immediately grabed a wrench and hit the top tube with it, putting a small ding in the frame. He then said, "There. Now you won't ride it like a pu$$y."

It looks like a small flesh wound to me. Clean and lube the chain and ride it.

Young, Shawn Young
    Gouge looks nasty but okay. Ive ridden bikes with bigger dents with no problem. Tough call but either way it sucks
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Looking at it again, that gouge does seem pretty deep, maybe as much as 1/2 way thru the tube. Remember the downtube is thicker in that area than in the middle, but also highly stressed as you mentioned. I would suspect that eventually a crack will form due to fatigue, but it probably won't fail catastrophically, so riding it easy for a while should be ok. I think it will have to be replaced eventually, so it's just a matter of doing it sooner or later. Might be easier to work with Yeti sooner. FWIW I am also a mechanical engineer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist

Thanks for any advice/help!
    Talk to Yeti, but chances are that you'll be fine.

Don't let that scrape rust, though. Clean it up, show it to Yeti, then get some paint on it.

I fell off a small cliff last winter and put two much bigger dings in my Stumpjumper. I had similar feelings about the loss of resale since the frame was otherwise perfect. I painted up the wounds and rode it hard all summer without problems (knock on wood).

It looks like the whole that they drill for the bottle cage mount is bigger than your ding.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    Years ago, I brought my first brand new mountain bike home. My roommate immediately grabed a wrench and hit the top tube with it, putting a small ding in the frame. He then said, "There. Now you won't ride it like a pu$$y."

It looks like a small flesh wound to me. Clean and lube the chain and ride it.
    I would have taken that wrench and hit your roommate on the top of his beanie head and said, "There, now you won't act like a d1ck anymore." Then I would have made him buy a new freakin bike for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I would have taken that wrench and hit your roommate on the top of his beanie head and said, "There, now you won't act like a d1ck anymore." Then I would have made him buy a new freakin bike for me.
    I agree completely.... I can handle "battle wounds" on my bike, but I would never take jacka$$-roommate-dings without kicking his butt (and make him pay for a new one)

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch

Don't let that scrape rust, though. Clean it up, show it to Yeti, then get some paint on it.
    The bike is aluminum, it won't rust. (you 'otta see my downtube)

Yeti does have a crash replacement program. I had my rear triangle replaced at a reasonable cost last year. Not sure how they will deal with overseas issues. Call them (DUH!)

Ami Schwein
    Ive recently had some warranty experience with my ASX I bought in the US and had shipped to Germany, so im kind of curious how this goes for you...keep us informed.
    Wait until Spring Bandini

mtbr member
    I've contacted Yeti, and sent them some pictures. The engineer who can make the judgement call on the damage is away for a couple of days, but I should hear back from them once he's back.

I'll post an update when I get the verdict.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

dent

I've dealt with Yeti on their frame replacement policy, I think it was $375. for the front triangle plus shipping at that time. I ended up doing something different so I don't remember for sure. They are good folks I feel very confident they will treat you well. They earned my confidence. Mick

mtbr member
    Just to update you all...

I've had a reply from Seth from Yeti HQ and they have suggested just to ride it as normal, just inspecting the area for any signs of a crack begining. Seems the most sensible thing to do really.

Thanks for everyones input.

Good... at least you can ride with the peace of mind now... and if it eventually fails Yeti's got your back

mtbr member

sounds reasonable

Not a mechanical engineer and can not get the full picture out of the image attached but it does not look so bad.
    Go ride and have fun.
    BTW how big was the stone that dented your tube?. How fast were you gonig?.
    I have stones thrown at the BB frequently and wonder if I need to worry.
    Cheers
    GB

mtbr member
    Greenbonty:

I'm not sure of the size of the rock, but the sound it made was pretty loud. I was riding down a track with loose jagged rocks, not going very fast at all (under 20mph). For a rock to sheer a gear cable with a single blow is pretty impressive really, not to mention bad luck.
    I think I'll be putting a piece of clear Leading Edge tape in that area to give a little more protection, as its not the first time the down tube has received a bit of a pounding.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That does suck tho, for the proud owner. I just got my first ding and scratches in my downtube, on the side of it, and right in the middle, about mid way between the headtube and btm bracket. Funny, when I used to assemble aircraft sections, any little thing like that would have to go through engineering inspection, of course, and usually we'd have to take it out and put a plug in it, then alodyne treat it and repaint it
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Funny, when I used to assemble aircraft sections, any little thing like that would have to go through engineering inspection, of course, and usually we'd have to take it out and put a plug in it, then alodyne treat it and repaint it

Well I guess the magnitude of the consequences of a failure in an aircraft, go far beyond an endo or bike crash j/k

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    I fell off a small cliff last winter and put two much bigger dings in my Stumpjumper. I had similar feelings about the loss of resale since the frame was otherwise perfect. I painted up the wounds and rode it hard all summer without problems (knock on wood).
    Anyone else want to know about this fall?
    What, me hurry?