mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Arc transformation

I would like to see the Yeti Arc transform into a hard tail do everything bike like the Santa Cruz chameleon and Chromag Stylus. With Xc now dominated by 29rs the arc should be reintroduced as a do anything trail, dj, park bike.
    Slacken the headube and steepen the top tube. It would be awesome!
    Come on yeti, it will keep the Arc in the lineup and fill a niche thats getting a lot of looks and a affordable option for some, and second bike for others.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Uh... I'm not a fan of this idea. The ARC has the long lived reputation for exactly the things you want to change. It is a XC machine and defined the genre for years. Yeti already has DJ and AM rigs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    But not a hardtail am do everything rig. Hardtail xc bikes are all 29r, the arc (I hate to say it because it is great at what it does, but doesn't have a market anymore) is a relic.
    Why not tap into the market of hardtail am do everything bikes, and still keep it in the lineup.
    It's the longest tenured bike in the lineup with no real changes.
    SC sells the Chameleon for a reason, and many smaller companies ie Chromag make most of their frames for this purpose, hardtail am.
    Just a thought.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If they plan to relaunch the ARC it should either be a full alloy or full carbon 29er XC rig and nothing else.
    The ARC has a long heritage in XC Racing and has been one of the most loved 26er Hardtails for the past two decades. Changing the bikes identity to something completely different would be a shame.

Though I love mine I have to agree that it is a relic by all standards (headtube, geometry, lack of drop out options, etc.).
    Their current HT trail rig is the BigTop which also allows 120mm forks and multiple gear options and can either be built up as a trail or XC bike (though the frame is a tad on the heavy side for a pure XC bike).

In my opinion a full carbon 29er is somewhere on the horizon in the Yeti lineup, however I would love them to make a clean transition to a 29er XC hardtail and also offer a more budget friendly alloy version with tapered headtube and convertible dropouts (QR/X-12) as a righteous heir to their longest running frame...

Furthermore I have to agree that AM HTs are getting more popular. How about a 650b 140mm one?
    I highly doubt that they are planning something like this at this stage, but as 650b seems to be hot in the AM area for 2013 and on it could be a decent alternative...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Arc transformation!!....are you kidding? I hope you donít own one because you might as well do yourself a favor, sell it and get yourself a walmart 29er.The arc is perfect as it is!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I currently own 2 and have owned 4 in total over the years.

It is still a great ride, but even as a 26er it has grown old as it has not been tampered with for years (I think the last update besides the paint scheme was the removal of the canti bosses (2009?)).

Even small custom builders now offer tapered/ZS headtubes, PF bottom brackets, X-12 axles, PM brakes, hydroformed tubing amongst other options...
    Those are mostly standard for higher priced bikes of larger companies at the moment.

Once again, I love the bike, but it currently is hardly marketable and outdated compared to its core competition. In consequence it has either to be evolved, reissued or be retired and replaced.
    As the hardtail market is currently leaning towards 29ers it should be a logical step to release a state of the art alloy and/or carbon version (the BigTop is not an appropriate 29er option compared to the ARC). If not, it has at least to be updated as a 26er.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    well i will agree that evolution is good but have you ever ridden your arc and ever felt it needed anything more?...ex:bigger wheels,p/f bb..etc. In my opinion the handling ,power transfer and vibration damping the frame provides are extremely good if not great. If yeti ever decided to evolve the arc to a carbon or 29er version the increase in price would leave many out of reach of such a special bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    B
    It's the longest tenured bike in the lineup with no real changes.

That's exactly why they shouldn't bastardize the name by making it a completely different bike.
    I'm not against a more versitile 26" hardtail per se, but I'd much rather see Yeti drop the ARC altogether and give the new bike a new name than have them sully the name ARC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Actually yes and no...

It does what it is supposed to and is great at that.
    However if you had asked me the same question 15 years ago I would also have replied no and have been proven wrong ever since.
    Suspension fork and geometry? Hell no, the AccuTrax worked fine.
    30 gears and Lever Shifters? Why, 21 Speed and Thumbies rocked.
    Tubeless Tyres? Onza Porcs and Panaracer Smokes did the job with standard tubes.
    Disc Brakes? Do not mock my Grafton and Boulder brakes

Everything did and does the job,
    But I have been riding state of the art 26ers and 29ers of friends over the past two years and no matter how great the ARC still is, the front end is significantly less stiff compared to current competitor offerings, it gets harder and harder to get high end forks that are not tapered (at least here in Europe), X12 through axles, Postmount brake posts and direct mount FDs just make sense.

If they are not changing the basic frame, an update to current standards should at least be on the to do list.
    Why are a lot of the previously mentioned things standard issue on the more current Yeti models?

I won't get too much into the 26 vs 29 inch discussion, but also have found them to be superior on a hardtail frame.

Yeti still is one of the more innovative companies and are constantly challenging themselves regarding their newest models. Everybody loved (and still loves) the 575. That has not only been upgraded to modern standards too, but has also been topped by the SB66/95.
    The ARC deserves a chance to survive and get a decent update and overhaul because of its heritage and the huge fanbase it has developed over 2 decades, but it currently is a dinosaur on the market and unfortunately a dying breed. I would love to see a decent and modern version to ride for the years to come.
    I have been riding Yeti Bikes since 1992, 20 consecutive years, and am waiting for them to release a light 29er XC rig (as mentioned before, rode the big top and while the geometry is great, the carbon/alloy frame is just not my type and too heavy).

If something similar should not be on the horizon for 2013 I will probably be forced to switch to another brand besides Yeti and have already targeted a Pyga, Alliance or Crema as an alternative.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That's all I was saying. They can retire the name and introduce a new hardtail frame with contemporary standards. My wish is a am hardtail and or I can see them doing a racy 29'r.
    I agree the Arc rocked, but today as I said, it's a relic.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com