Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    550

    Anyone use a Gravity Dropper?

    Anyone use a Gravity Dropper on their 575? I'm thinking of getting one with the 1" and 4" drop.

    Steve

  2. #2
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,910
    Seems like one of the Go-Ride.com bunch uses one on a Super D 575. I dont have one on my 575, but I've thought about getting one. Most of the guys I ride with have them and swear by them, but I've just never picked one up.

    Lots of information on them available on the Turner forum. Do a search on that board for Gravity Dropper and you'll find just about anything you could possible want to know.

  3. #3
    a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Reputation: mtnfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,702
    I have one and LOVE IT! I got a good deal from Larry at Mountain High Cycles (Ventanarama or something link that on MTBR). Got a few bucks off retail. I have the multi setting (3) version: full, 1" down, 4" down. Get it, it will change the way you ride if you ride varied terrain. You always have optimal saddle height using the GD.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: connie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    I had one on my 575 (traded the 575 for an AS-X, but kept the Gravity Dropper). Best upgrade I've ever done on a bike. I went with the 3" drop, but I think it depends on your height, etc. I went to Go-Ride and tested it out to decide on which height to go for.

  5. #5
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I have one and LOVE IT! I got a good deal from Larry at Mountain High Cycles (Ventanarama or something link that on MTBR). Got a few bucks off retail. I have the multi setting (3) version: full, 1" down, 4" down. Get it, it will change the way you ride if you ride varied terrain. You always have optimal saddle height using the GD.
    How exactly does it work? Is it some sort of air spring or cable? In its up most position is it stable like a solid post or does it have give like a suspension seatpost?

  6. #6
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,457
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    How exactly does it work? Is it some sort of air spring or cable? In its up most position is it stable like a solid post or does it have give like a suspension seatpost?
    No suspension action. Solid settings in all positions.

    The GD works with a cable actuated pin that catches in a detent hole in the spring loaded post.
    Nothing to see here.

  7. #7
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    No suspension action. Solid settings in all positions.

    The GD works with a cable actuated pin that catches in a detent hole in the spring loaded post.
    Ah, throw the lever which pulls the pin, sit on the seat to push it down and let the pin go back into the detent. Is that correct?

    $250 for that post?? That's whacked!

  8. #8
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,457
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Ah, throw the lever which pulls the pin, sit on the seat to push it down and let the pin go back into the detent. Is that correct?

    $250 for that post?? That's whacked!
    Correct.

    Yes it seems high until try it on a trail that requires lots of saddle adjustment. It was most excellent on the Pisgah area trails
    Nothing to see here.

  9. #9
    Positive Vibe Technician
    Reputation: ShanerPVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    73

    layed back post

    I would love to try one out - however i am currently using a thomson laid back post to get in the right position. I have thought about getting one and switching saddles to one with long rails. has anyone with a gravity dropper overcame the problem i have?
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: connie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Correct.

    Yes it seems high until try it on a trail that requires lots of saddle adjustment. It was most excellent on the Pisgah area trails
    I thought the price was ridiculous (even with my husband raving about his for the past year). He offered to buy me one in exchange for me being the shuttle driver for a weekend when I was injured and wanted to stay home... and as it turns out, he was right. I've been thinking of getting a second trail bike and a GD would be the first thing to go on it. One ride and I can't imagine anything but a DH bike without one.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    550
    Ordered a multi-drop model from Larry on Friday for a great price. I hope to get it this week sometime as I'm anxious to try it out after hearing so many good things.

    Steve

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •