Dirty Mac

Anyone have Carbon Fiber chainstay

They look gorgeous, they save weight. I'm ready to put my order in BUT I keep getting words of warning from people telling me I could be in for trouble.

If you have one I'd love to hear from you. Good decision or bad?

mtbr member

too new...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
    They look gorgeous, they save weight. I'm ready to put my order in BUT I keep getting words of warning from people telling me I could be in for trouble.

however, most of the ASR SL's have the cf chainstays and i have not heard of anyone having any problems (at least, not on this board)... go for it... if you have any problems with cracking, have them warrantied with an AL chainstay (however, there was a recent post about someone breaking an AL chainstay).

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Mac

I bet the same discussion was going on when bikes went from being made from steal to aluminum...

The carbon fiber should be fine. The Ibis Mojo is a whole carbon fiber frame as is Specialized's top end AM bike as well. I think most of the "words of warning" are due to the newness of it in this appication. If money wasn't an issue for me I would have went with the carbon chainstay. It's totally cool. Go for it. You know you want it....

mtbr member

On a related note...

I've had a full carbon Fuel 100 that I've ridden the heck out of for a few years without any sign of failure (and it has survived some epic rough trails many times over)... I have full confidence in CF frames...

Dirty Mac
    Cool. That was easy.

Members who have read this thread: 0