Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone gone SB66a to SB66c ?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Yetifan 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had an SB66 with the alloy frame and then switched over to the carbon version? Would be interested if you noticed much difference and whether you thought it was worth the extra $ for the carbon version?

I had a SB66a for 6 months and absolutely loved it, but have sold it now and in a few months will be looking for a replacement which is likely to be one of these three: SB66c, Mojo HD or Tracer 275.

#2 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had an SB66 with the alloy frame and then switched over to the carbon version? Would be interested if you noticed much difference and whether you thought it was worth the extra $ for the carbon version?

I had a SB66a for 6 months and absolutely loved it, but have sold it now and in a few months will be looking for a replacement which is likely to be one of these three: SB66c, Mojo HD or Tracer 275.
Hey GlennW, I did. Well...my reason for changing from the alu to carbon is not a good one but I am glad I did. The carbon feels significantly lighter during acceleration and climbing. Considering the weight savings is not phenomenal but the ride is a huge difference for me!

#3 ·
I rode a alu for 3 months before I cracked the rear swingarm. I feel that the carbon has a slightly different suspension, even if ever so slightly. The carbon appears to have a tad less low speed compression which is ever so slightly noticeable on climbs. On the way down though, this extra compliance crushes the alu. My impression of the alu in rocky gardens was chattery, somewhat sketchy and hard to keep a line. Not so on the carbon, point and go. Overall weight is noticeable but to me the difference is in the ride. Also it's a tad firmer and noticeable when really digging in to corners.

I've tried two shocks on both bikes, set to identical settings - RC4 and RP23. I originally bought the RC4 to help with the chattery stuff but feel with the carbon the RP23 does the job.

#4 ·
Going through a bit of bike consolidation currently and switching over from a SB66a to a SB66c. I've ridden alloy and carbon models from other brands back to back before and my expectations for the SB are in line with those experiences - drop some weight, gain some stifness, and a slightly smoother ride. I'll post up some impressions once I have some time on the new bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.