mtbr member

anyone ever completely disassemble an SB66 into a small case/box for travel?

I've got an international flight back home next weekend and will be flying with my SB66. I'd love to avoid the normal $200 fee and tear the entire thing down into parts. I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this before and if so, if they got it small enough to check as normal baggage. I figure separating the rear triangle, fork, etc., should give me a lot of room to work with (size Medium frame as well).

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I don't have an SB66, but I do travel a lot with bikes. What I've concluded:

If you remove the rear triangle, then yes it's probably possible to split the bike into 2 standard luggage-sized pieces (even with an XL bike), provided you can find a suitcase or whatever that will fit 26" wheels. AND... provided you're ok with the bike being both your allowed bags (i.e., you aren't carrying much/anything else with you).

With my 575, I found it wasn't worth the hassle, but that was the old 575 design that required you to use that linkage tool to push the pivot pins out. My Canfield was a piece of cake to remove the rear triangle, so the concept was a little more attractive, except that checking a 3rd bag was almost the same price as checking a bike, and packing clothes etc around the bike wasn't really an option.

One tip that's obvious to me now, but wasn't for a long time: fully deflate or remove the spring from your fork and fully compress it (I wrap a vecro strap around the arch and crown to hold it that way); that's often enough to get it in the case without removing it from the frame. Plus it covers the stanchions, protecting them from the goons that will open and "inspect" your bike.

mtbr member
    The fork tip is great, especially since I plan to box it all up in one cardboard box....much like what a travel bike would fit into. I don't see why this won't work if I take the tires off the wheels, etc. But, I am in a position to split the parts up as well....if that's what I need to do.

I could always wrap parts in a heavy duty garbage bag to limit the contact with clothing but it's likely that I will use the "empty" space around the bike for non-bike items, even if I go the single box route. Keep in mind, I'll be customizing a full size bike box down to the max size that United allows for. So in effect, I'll have a large "suitcase" that is tailored to my bike's dimensions.

mtbr member
    I flew my medium SB66A from SFO to LHR on British Airways last summer, I put it in an EVOC bike bag with some extra foam padding. BA were happy to take it as one of my baggage items with no extra charge.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member

yep

Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    I flew my medium SB66A from SFO to LHR on British Airways last summer, I put it in an EVOC bike bag with some extra foam padding. BA were happy to take it as one of my baggage items with no extra charge.
    I've heard great things about BA's bike policy in general....and that's the difference between flying BA and United. If United smells bike when you check in, they're gonna want their $200 unless you get it down within the normal luggage dimensions.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Haven't flown with it, but have shipped my 575 in a Trico IronCase. Fits with removing the fork.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugerooster View Post
    I've heard great things about BA's bike policy in general....and that's the difference between flying BA and United. If United smells bike when you check in, they're gonna want their $200 unless you get it down within the normal luggage dimensions.
    I understand - I have done my share of flights with United too; I guess that's one of the reasons they are usually cheaper.

Hope you can get the bike transported ok.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in Italy right now with my ASR5c. Pulled it all apart and it fits in a 27*27*8 case - mostly. Had to put the rear triangle in my backpack. No charge on USAir.