EDR

anyone 5'7'' riding a medium 575?

My '08 (575) frame has developed a crack in the weld above the main pivot. Options right now look like waiting for a small '08 to come in (month or more maybe), going with a medium pronto, or a full '12 frame...price tbd.

I like the small a lot. Nice for the slow techie stuff I ride often. Can really move around the bike plus I can run a 5'' dropper post. Neg's are I run a 90mm stem, put a 70 on it but felt too cramped. The only time I feel cramped currently is on long fast d/h's.

Anyway not opposed to a med with a shorter stem but probably can't use the $200 KS 5'' post I have. That's a real downer.

FWIW I'm 5'7'' with short legs and seemingly a longer torso. Had a med '05 575 but that TT was a 1/2'' shorter than today's 575's, including the '08....that's why I made the change to small back then.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-13-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: clarify I already have a 575

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    probably wont help but im 5'7" riding a small '11 575 with 70mm stem, perfect for the slow tech stuff that you mentioned.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    probably wont help but im 5'7" riding a small '11 575 with 70mm stem, perfect for the slow tech stuff that you mentioned.
    Ya, I feel stupid for even posting about size as I've championed the smaller bike for our type of riding for years. It's just that obvioiusly I could go either way. A 70 on my bike was a no-go. My torso is longer compared to my short legs. I'd bet a medium with a 60 or 70mm stem would feel fine in the cockpit. I'd just be losing a bit of that "small bike feeling" that I have come to like. I hate always being in between sizes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah im in between sizes on everything f'in sucks! i wonder how much larger the medium with 60/70mm is compared to the small with the 90mm, maybe it will come out pretty close, possibly someone measure for you? other bummers though with the medium is your dropper post and stand-over clearance.

decisions decisions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

Anyway not opposed to a med with a shorter stem but probably can't use the $200 KS 5'' post I have. That's a real downer.

I have a perfect 3" drop KS i900 I'd trade you if that helps with the medium. I'd wait for the small though if you can, or drop the coin (if <$500 total) for a '12 frame.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

EDR
    and stand-over clearance.
    S/O is the same between sizes, head tube same so no issues with the fork I have.

bpnic, thx for the offer. I'll keep it in mind however I don't think the 900 with an offset would work, especially if I go with a larger frame.

mtbr member
    Yes. Medium works great. I never understood the move to smaller frames, much too uncomfortable for me, but everyone is different. You can always install a shorter stem. It's interesting that even YETI seems to be moving to longer TT's.

mtbr member
    My '08 frame has developed a crack in the weld above the main pivot. Options right now look like waiting for a small '08 to come in (month or more maybe), going with a medium pronto, or a full '12 frame...price tbd.

I like the small a lot. Nice for the slow techie stuff I ride often. Can really move around the bike plus I can run a 5'' dropper post. Neg's are I run a 90mm stem, put a 70 on it but felt too cramped. The only time I feel cramped currently is on long fast d/h's.

FWIW I'm 5'7'' with short legs and seemingly a longer torso. Had a med '05 575 but that TT was a 1/2'' shorter than today's 575's, including the '08....that's why I made the change to small back then.
    I'm 5'6" on an Medium 08 575 Yeti bought last year , the deal was to good to pass , I don't have a problem with the size ,in fact i just finished installing a new RS Monarch RC3 Plus shock and a 50MM Red anodized Sunline stem , just finish tuning it . I have adjusted my WTB Seat , and as i mentioned my stem which originally was a 90mm Thompson stem ,i drove it with the 90 for almost a year. I would like to have tried a small to feel the difference but i'm happy with my setup.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

2ts
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My '08 frame has developed a crack in the weld above the main pivot. Options right now look like waiting for a small '08 to come in (month or more maybe), going with a medium pronto, or a full '12 frame...price tbd.

Yes, I got 2011 Medium.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Medium is the right size for you but try to go test one out you could probably do either s or m
    the 575 is a bit larger than other bikes (very long reach from seat to bars)

mtbr member
    I'm 5.9" on a medium 575 2011.
    It has a 60mm stem, and a 730mm bar.
    On the large 575 i would have steered with a 50mm or less stem.
    You should take the medium with a short stem.
    Enjoy
    Benny

EDR
    After talking to some others including Yeti I will stick with the small. Yeti's bikes are a full size larger then every manufacturer I've checked including Turner, Ventana and Santa Cruz. Compare the specs of any of them and you'll see my small 575 is a medium most everywhere else. A TT of nearly 24 inches for the medium 575 is way long, that's a large most places.

Anyhow I'll try out the 70mm stem again. I only gave it one ride before I ditched it. This time I'll give it a few rides and see how I adjust.