bikeboatbrewski

anyone on the 303 dh rig

might be looking at getting one and have never ridden it, whats your take on this beast?

mtbr member
    We've sold a whole bunch of them the last couple of years. I have also been riding one myself for the last two seasons. Do you have any specific questions?
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

bikeboatbrewski
    Nothing specific, got a line on a wrench selling his custom built ride. I have a XC ride(10 Stumpy) and an AM ride(Cdale Moto4). We have been doing some down hill runs that are borderline for the moto, so I am looking at a DH rig. I like the Yeti bikes but have never owned one. The 303rdh sounds like the perfect size and setup for me, he is close to same size/build as myself.

I guess your riding impressions would be helpful.

Hopefully we are going this weekend to a ski area, WISP in western Md, to get some gravity riding in. They have Giant DH bikes for rent so I will try one of those.
    Last edited by scottybinwv; 08-27-2010 at 05:45 AM.

mtbr member
    I've been racing DH for 12 yrs and running Go-ride.com for 10, so I've had a lot of experience with various DH bikes. I've been riding the Yeti for the last 2 seasons and have been very happy with it.

1. The overall build it excellent and very durable. The weight is good, but there are lighter bikes. However, the lighter ones don't feel as solid when riding. I think they have a good compromise between weight and strength.
    2. Cornering is excellent and I think that has to do with two features. First is the adjustable geometry. You can quickly dial in this bike for the angle of terrain or your general riding style. That helps a lot. The second is the lateral stiffness of the bike keeps it tracking through rough corners.
    3. Overall suspension is very good. For a long time I've been a fan of rising rate suspension, but with the advancement in shocks the last few years, I'm starting to like true linear systems more and more. It makes for a more consistent ride that can easily be tuned by the shock. The Yeti is a true linear system and works very well with most shocks. Ironically a number of the popular bikes out there claim to be rising rate, but are actually rising to falling rate bikes as they go through their travel.
    4. Pedaling is about as good as any 8" travel DH bike I've ridden. I have not complaints about the pedaling at all.
    5. Braking is not the strongest aspect of the 303 RDH. I've ridden bikes that are smoother in the braking bumps, but I have also found that with some shock tuning the braking performance can be very good. It just takes some time to get it tuned right.
    6. Maintenance has been very low on this bike. I know some are afraid the shock rail will require lots of maintenance, but it has not. Every few rides I give it a quick squirt of the recommended lube and it requires nothing else. This takes all of 5 seconds to perform. The rest of the pivots have been so durable that I haven't had to do any service to any of them. My one recommendation, as with all suspension bikes, is to put a little blue loctite on all the pivot bolts when you first get the bike and you will have no problems.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

bikeboatbrewski
    Awesome that is very helpful! Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    1. The overall build it excellent and very durable. The weight is good, but there are lighter bikes. However, the lighter ones don't feel as solid when riding. I think they have a good compromise between weight and strength.
    2. Cornering is excellent and I think that has to do with two features. First is the adjustable geometry. You can quickly dial in this bike for the angle of terrain or your general riding style. That helps a lot. The second is the lateral stiffness of the bike keeps it tracking through rough corners.
    3. Overall suspension is very good. For a long time I've been a fan of rising rate suspension, but with the advancement in shocks the last few years, I'm starting to like true linear systems more and more. It makes for a more consistent ride that can easily be tuned by the shock. The Yeti is a true linear system and works very well with most shocks. Ironically a number of the popular bikes out there claim to be rising rate, but are actually rising to falling rate bikes as they go through their travel.
    4. Pedaling is about as good as any 8" travel DH bike I've ridden. I have not complaints about the pedaling at all.
    5. Braking is not the strongest aspect of the 303 RDH. I've ridden bikes that are smoother in the braking bumps, but I have also found that with some shock tuning the braking performance can be very good. It just takes some time to get it tuned right.
    6. Maintenance has been very low on this bike. I know some are afraid the shock rail will require lots of maintenance, but it has not. Every few rides I give it a quick squirt of the recommended lube and it requires nothing else. This takes all of 5 seconds to perform. The rest of the pivots have been so durable that I haven't had to do any service to any of them. My one recommendation, as with all suspension bikes, is to put a little blue loctite on all the pivot bolts when you first get the bike and you will have no problems.
    I have recently purchased a Yeti 303R-DH from the good guys at GoRide and Scott was an extremely helpful resource in guiding my decision.

For reference I have been riding an Intense M3 for the past three seasons and I was ready for a change. What I grew not to like about the M3 was how much travel it uses all the time and some frame interference issues. It's a great bike in the rough, it can plow through anything, but it also wants to stay on the ground as much as possible: pumping features is almost a fruitless endeavor and there is very little pop off lips. Shock tuning improved things somewhat but, to some extent those are characteristics of the linkage.

What I wanted in a new DH frame was a livelier feel, more nimble geometry, slacker and lower than the dated M3 geometry, good pedaling characteristics. I'll use the some format as Scott and add my comments:

1. Bike looks gorgeous and the finish is good. The powdercoat is not the most durable, but it's a DH bike.

2. Nothing to add. I am currently running the bike in the lowest and slackest setting and the BB is at 13.9in with 2.7 Minion up front and 2.4 Ardent in the back.

3. Suspension action is extremely consistent throughout the travel. There are no mushy spots, no blowing through midstroke, and there is a slight rising rate at the end of travel that makes bottoming out with a reasonable shock pretty rare. I am currently running a CCDB with a 350lbs/in spring (I weigh 165lbs, 175lbs with all the gear on) and only need minimal high-speed compression damping to control end-of-stroke behavior. The suspension is very lively, the bike likes to hop and pop over rocks but the main pivot is also high enough that it can plow through a rock garden without rattling your fillings out. Chainstay is pretty short for a DH bike at 17.2in and it makes for a very nimble feel, almost like a trailbike in tight trees and corners.

4. Pedaling is very good. Something that is very uncommon among DH bikes is that the 303R has an almost full-length seat tube. I have a 380mm Thomson seatpost in the frame and can bring it up to full pedaling height when necesssary. I have climbed up several-mile fireroads and pedaled on flattish trails to get out of self-propelled DH runs without suffering like a dog. It's like having a DH bike that can almost turn into a FR rig on demand with the right cassette in the back.

5. Braking is something I am not too sensitive to. I have never been on a bike that felt horrible on the brakes, and the 303R feels fine. We also don't really have braking bumps at the mountains where I ride the most.

6. I have the syringe filled up with Slick Honey and when I get home from a ride I squirt a bit of grease in the rail and the bike is good to go. Faster than lubing the chain.

bikeboatbrewski
    here are some details

FS: Yeti 303 rdh - sz large - complete custom spec
    large black ano yeti 303 r-dh w/ 2010 rc4 400# spring
    2009 fox 40 rc2
    silver deity 30 bars
    cane creek 100 headset (next best thing to a king)
    sun add lite wheelset (2095g, 31mm wide, super sweet wheels) only 2 rides.
    thomson 410mm post
    sdg ti fly yeti saddle
    dura-ace rear derailleur, saint shifter
    sram 11-26t dh cassette (2 rides)
    sram 991 chain (2 rides)
    hope moto 6 brakes w/ several extra brake pads
    holzfeller cranks - minor shoe rub, but stiff, light and straight.
    minion DHF tires, pretty fresh. 3c front, super tacky rear.

Knollician
    Luca,

Nice choice. I am now a serious Knolly fan, and if I were to get a DH bike the Poidium would probably be it. That being said, the 303 RDH would be serious contender for the very reasons you said.

Since I would be riding the bike primarily in parks (not a racer), the plow feature is not something I would really want. Light, poppy, and quick would be more fun, albeit probably slightly slower. I think it is nearly the perfect park bike as it is an AM bike on serious steroids.

Have fun!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    i've definitely been feeling the 303rdh vibe... i just don't know if a) wait until 2011 frames b) pick up a new one now c) try to get a used one from the bike park (demo unit).. and customize from there...

my 575 is doing really good at the bike park and in some not super-heavy dh.. more fr.. but i think it's time for some more travel

argh decisions decisions.... what you think scott/others? //g

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Luca,

Nice choice. I am now a serious Knolly fan, and if I were to get a DH bike the Poidium would probably be it. That being said, the 303 RDH would be serious contender for the very reasons you said.

Since I would be riding the bike primarily in parks (not a racer), the plow feature is not something I would really want. Light, poppy, and quick would be more fun, albeit probably slightly slower. I think it is nearly the perfect park bike as it is an AM bike on serious steroids.

Have fun!
    Thanks B!

I spent the last three days at Windham riding, racing DH for the first time (took second in old & slow man category!), and watching world cup action. The bike was great on the citizen's race course and I ticked a bunch more lines at Plattekill off my list.

I saw Jared Graves kill it in 4X on an incredible track and Gwin barrel down the WC DH race course. During practice on Saturday, I was walking by the road gap when Gwinny and Joey came screaming down in their blue and yellow Yeti kits on the 25th anniversary 303s within ten feet of each other, like a freight train. Amazing.