mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Anybody race on SB95C?

I currently ride a 5C, and am thinking of switching things up and going 29 (I do have a steel 29 HT). The thing I like about the 5 is that it is a race able trail bike. It definitely doesn't hold me back on XC races, and for stage races and longer races (which are my preference) it is ideal; plus when I head to mountains for weekend it fits right in. Anybody think the SB95c a 29 version of the 5? No doubt it's not an ARC, but going carbon HT for me is too limiting. Anyone out there use it as a do everything bike?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Were I a regular mtb racing kind of person, I'd not hold back, but then the last time I did an XC race it was on a 6" travel FS 26er so we may not be in the same 'category' of XC racer if you get my drift.

I have a 95a and love it, I'd consider it very XC race-able when setup properly - mostly in having the right tires/wheels/gearing. I ride a durable trail-oriented build - DBAir shock, 1x10 with MRP AMG bash, heavier/more-durable tires, Stan's Flow rims, dropper post, fork at 140mm - and if I were to be serious about XC racing I'd setup the bike a little differently but still leave it eminently trail-enabled - RP23 shock maybe, fork at 130 or maybe 120; lighter rims and faster rolling tires for race-day; possibly drop the bash and go 2x10 with a 38t big ring; probably go with a rigid post at least for race day.

With the 95c you could have a very reasonably weighted bike race-day but still very trail-durable the rest of the time. I feel that the rear-center is short enough that you can still make the tight turns well, particularly if you don't have the front end slacked out.

just my 10c though.

Bikes!
    Over the past few years I've test ridden and owned all sorts of bikes, mostly trail and XC orientated. My SB95c feels quicker in every situation than all of these bikes, Scott Scale and Spark 29 included. It's definitely XC (and AM/Enduro!) raceable and if I were so inclined I reckon it would give an advantage on the right track.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the input. Since my preference is more for endurance races, and I do it all for fun (I.e., ride hard, but don't care where I finish in standings), it might be doable with a light enough set up. Just don't want to end up with a bike that is way too heavy duty for xc rides. Unfortunately unable to demo one (yeti's rare around here). If I do change, won't be till off season, so who knows, Yeti might come out with something else. More and more intrigued by 27.5. A 5 inch SB 27.5 would also be pretty ideal.

Bikes!
    27.5 is a waste of time if you're already on 29" but that's just my opinion based on test rides.

The SB95c would be my very first choice for an endurance race. Mine is 26lbs without my reverb, there are other places on the bike where I coul shave weight if using more XC type parts. I think 24-25 lb wouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    I have a large SB-95A with a Fox 34 Talas 29 140 fork, and I didn't expect to discover what an excellent cross country bike it is with the fork in the 110 mm position. The front/rear suspension balance is excellent with the fork and shock in the "trail" mid range compression damping position, and the ride is forgiving but taunt with lots of feedback. The 34 mm stanchions provide optimal lateral stiffness for cornering in the 110 mm travel position, and I wouldn't want a big wheeled bike with 32 mm fork stanchions.

I know Yeti will be betting on 27.5, but for me the bike is already well defined by the fox forks currently available, and all the 34 mm forks come with 160 mm travel. 160 mm travel will certainly sacrifice some lateral stiffness with 27.5 wheels, and big wheeled bikes need this lateral stiffness to handle well when changing directions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm in the same boat as chunky lover. I demo'd a race build sb95c recently and liked it a lot, but it felt pretty heavy compared to my asr 5c. Just J, what is your 26 lb build like? It seems like you have to get pretty exotic to get these bikes down in weight. It's a 29er, so it will be heavier than my 26, but 28 lbs seems to be pretty normal fr a sb95, and that's pretty heavy to me.

Bikes!
    Hi, full XTR 2x10 trail, x fusion trace 140 RL2, CK headset, mavic crossmax st wheels with Schwalbe Nobby Nic front/Rocket Ron rear setup tubeless (I think my main weight savings are here), hope race x2 brakes, raceface turbine stem with sixc bars, esi grips, mallet dh pedals (could save weight here). I ran a carbon post and bontrager evoke ti saddle and it can out just above 26. Now I have my reverb back it's just over 27 and I'd be happy to ride it all day and beyond.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    just j hows that trace doing?

Bikes!
    Really nicely thanks, for more plush than the Fox offerings, lighter, just as strong of not a little more stiff from what I can tell. Missed the lack of compression adjustment initially but now the fork is set up where I want it, it really couldn't be better.

I ordered the Trace as I've had a set of Pikes on order for months, the Trace have me questioning whether I need to swap but the Pikes should be here soon so I'll be able to test them out soon enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What size frame just j?

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    What size frame just j?
    It's a large.

Bikes!

Anybody race on SB95C?

The bike in question in it's 27lbs spec.

2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite